Wordsmith.org
Posted By: GallantTed World Cup - 06/02/02 10:14 PM
Let's talk about the Beautyfull Game fer a change.

http://community.gambling.com/forums/CForum.asp?M=5215&T=5178&F=1&Message=E-mail sent successfully&Caption=undefined&R=414

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: GallantTed Re: World Cup - 06/06/02 05:35 PM
Howye fokes

OK - we can talks about somethin else if ye want.

GT

Posted By: Angel Re: World Cup - 06/06/02 07:42 PM
Sorry Ted. Just not a sports fan here!

Posted By: musick Werld Coupe - 06/06/02 07:48 PM
I'll bite and chew wit cha a bit so ewe don't feel two g-ted.

I hear that the victory that the US has *enjoyed over Portugal was quite a sir-prize... but then again, I was super-ized to see that Brazil didn't have a speed skating entry in Salt Lake City!

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Werld Coupe - 06/07/02 12:53 AM
Howye fokes

I'm not a grate sports fan meself - but I think the World Cup is grate in any man's (or Ted's)language.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: Geoff Re: Werld Coupe - 06/07/02 04:24 AM
I'm no footbal fan myself, but I'm truly puzzled as to why USA denizens refer to some half-rugby half-something else game as football, then call football soccer. Anybody know?

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Werld Coupe - 06/07/02 06:40 PM
Howya Geoff

Good question there. I often do be wonderen meself where the word "soccer" originated from. I did a bit of research in me tedasaurus but all it said was that soccer was a form of football.

Be seein ya

GallantTed

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Werld Coupe - 06/09/02 04:51 AM
The term football originally meant "a game played on one's feet" to distinguish the game (the precursor of today's many football codes) from polo, which was the game of the era. Hence "football" can be rightly applied to any sport played on foot, using a ball. The term soccer derives from "Asocciation football", possibly via the FA, or FIFA, and is used in countries where a form of football existed before soccer was made "the world game".

Posted By: GallantTed Re: Werld Coupe - 06/09/02 01:48 PM
Wow - thanks Doc - yer sure on the ball!

GT

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Werld Coupe - 06/12/02 07:01 AM
The term football originally meant "a game played on one's feet"

Sooo, Doc. You mean that golf is football. I always wondered about that! Now it makes so much more sense. Thank you, thank you!

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Werld Coupe - 06/12/02 07:10 AM
You mean that golf is football.

Edit: "a game played on one's feet using only a ball"

smart****

Posted By: Geoff Re: Werld Coupe - 06/12/02 09:34 AM
You mean that golf is football.

Is it futbol if you ride around in one of those silly little carts? Meself, I allus thought that the origin of the word, "golf" was that it was "flog" backwards.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Werld Coupe - 06/12/02 06:06 PM
the origin of the word, "golf" was that it was "flog" backwards

'Tis torture indeed. But what would you expect of a game invented in Scotland, a land notorious for its bagpipes?

[looking forward to jo's response ]

© Wordsmith.org