"What a queer bird the frog are.
When he sit, he stand, almost
When he walk, he fly, almost
When he sing, he cry, almost
And he ain't got no sense hardly,
Ain't got no tail hardly either.
He sit on what he ain't got hardly
What a queer bird the frog are."

My son was quite shocked when one day I quoted the first line. My recollection of its origin is lost in the mists of my antiquity, and somehow he had quite independently found (for his three-year-old kid) a CD with a song with these lyrics. He had no idea anyone else in the world could be familiar with it, least of all his own father.

Unfortunately neither of us has an attribution for it. His record says only "Author unknown. We learned this from Carla Sciaky."

It has a certain strangeness and charm (though it isn't a quark)...

Google doesn't help. I haven't put it up on eMule yet, thinking it's the right kind of whimsy for us to enjoy for a while...

[Edit: Sorry, should have been a question, not a note]
Posted By: Hyla Re: what a queer bird - 05/21/02 05:30 PM
I don't know it, but being a member of the hylidae, I likes it!

Posted By: wwh Re: what a queer bird - 05/22/02 12:48 AM
Dear wofahulicodoc: I found several sites about Carla Sciaky, including one of children's songs, but kept getting "server error" so couldn't check titles or lyrics.

Posted By: Jackie Re: what a queer bird - 05/22/02 02:37 AM
Well, Sweetie, I can be of no help to you re: this, but I did find this amusing paragraph in my search:
In addition to her solo recordings, Sciaky has recorded with The Mother Folkers, the all-woman ensemble that claims to possess, "the most carefully pronounced name in folk music."

Posted By: milum Re: what a queer bird - 05/22/02 03:35 AM
The Mother Folkers, the all-woman ensemble that claims to possess, "the most carefully pronounced name in folk music".

Dear Jackie,

I promise I didn't get the prurient reference of mother folkers, because I am a good boy with a clean mind. The only reason I laughed is because I accidently sat down on a toad and it's squirming and wiggling tickled me. I promise.

- milo. -

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: what a queer bird - 05/22/02 01:50 PM
Having "Asked Jeeves" and been directed to all sorts of imporbable sites (including one which purports to help me know if I'm gay or not)
I found this version in the Scouts Song Book

QUEER BIRD

My froggy him am a queer bird

Him ain’t got no tail almost hardly

Him run and him yump

When him yump him fall down

And he ain’t got no tail almost hardly.

I know how ugly I are,

I know that my face ain’t no star,

But I does not mind it

Cuz I is behind it

And the ones in the front get the jar.

Har! Har!

But no attribution, I fear - it looks as though it may have sprung from the pen of that most prolific writer, A. Non.

© Wordsmith.org