Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Oortboy A newbee's fave phrase . . . - 04/30/02 03:04 AM
Talltale's post brought this to mind . . . several months ago I coined (or so I think) the phrase "Mama mia, 'atsa lotta onomatopoeia!" It just allows me to indulge in the word I love all that much more, and its a fun, unpretentious, way to turn others on to it. Whaddaya thinka?

Here's another I coined, "Just say no to perfunctory ammenities", I've only marched it out a handful of times in the fifteen years since its inception because it can come off as insouciant when really I just find relief in its healthy aversion to convention.

Oh okay, one last one . . . "crimes against inanity"; this is a play on "crimes against humanity" and I made it up to describe anyone who is disciplined or persecuted for outgrowing an underchallenging environment. Its kind of a sleeper, but in some ways its my favorite.

Exciting to associate with you all.
Posted By: hev Re: A newbee's fave phrase . . . - 04/30/02 04:12 AM
Hello Oortboy (does your name have any special meaning, it's interesting) and WELCOME aBoard!

I like your phrases, and I'm wandering off to my little dictionary as we speak to look up some of them big words you used!

Don't forget to read the FAQ in Information & Announcements - there's a lot of handy stuff in there for 'newbees'. [sic]

Posted By: Geoff Re: A newbee's fave phrase . . . - 04/30/02 04:47 AM
Oortboy? Isn't that what the French call an oboe?

Why go insane when you can save your "s" and just go inane?

Posted By: Oortboy Oortboy defined . . . - 04/30/02 05:34 AM
It popped into to my mind that I should explain my user name while making that previous (my first) post, but I forgot to by the time I ended the post. (And -- but of course -- of my first two responses you both ask about it.) Long story short: the "Oort belt" is a belt of asteroids way out in our galaxy, and if I'm not mistaken I think I read or heard once that its where most comets are thought to come from. It just means I can be pretty 'far out' sometimes.

Posted By: wwh Re: Oortboy defined . . . - 04/30/02 03:59 PM
Dear Oortboy: I think you may be a bit "far out". It seems to me that the Oort cloud is made up of smaller objects than those called asteroids. Here's a URL about it:

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/nineplanets/nineplanets/kboc.html