Wordsmith.org
Posted By: paulb Bulwer-Lytton competition - 07/15/00 11:55 AM
The Melbourne Age this morning reported this year’s winner of the Bulwer-Lytton competition for the "most excruciating example of truly awful writing". Enjoy!

"Their’s was a love that transcended time, ran roughshod over moral dogmas, guffawed in the face of adversity, rent asunder the shackles of social convention and took a sledgehammer to the crumbling walls of religious doctrine: a passionate love, a tender love, a selfless love: not bad for two gerbils born on opposite sides of the glass partition."

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bulwer-Lytton competition - 07/15/00 12:22 PM
Gee-miny Christmas! I'd love to see Avy-the-writer's
response to this!

Aren't there any nice horrendous crimes your paper could
print, instead of that??

Am I given to understand that there is an actual contest, to see who can write the worst?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Bulwer-Lytton competition - 07/15/00 04:19 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, paulb! I'd forgotten about it...
Jackie, yup. Great stuff. Here's the web site if you wish to indulge in more preposterous prose (it even includes the original "It was a dark and stormy night..."):

http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/

Posted By: jmh Re: Bulwer-Lytton competition - 07/15/00 09:46 PM
I'd like to propose anything written by Jeffrey Archer. (Even if it wasn't written for the express purpose of entering this competition).

Posted By: Jackie Re: Bulwer-Lytton competition - 07/17/00 02:06 AM
Ohmigawd, Anna! Unbelieveable! I suppose this one must
have been given an A-for-effort:

Jo-Jo, grabbed his tom-tom, while Lulu, a former cancan, now go-go, dancer seized her muumuu as they, along with their loyal canine Tin Tin (son of Rin), fled flu-ridden from a yo-yo so-so existence in Paw Paw, heading, by away of Walla Walla, for their tropical paradise in Pago Pago where they hoped to munch mahimahi, nibble on a bit of couscous, and pay an occasional visit to Bora Bora, or maybe even Wagga Wagga, finally saying "tata" forever to their life among the rah-rah Michigan set.

© Wordsmith.org