Wordsmith.org
Posted By: stales Big Knobs - 12/21/01 01:25 AM
I'd like to compile a list of phrases used to describe the alpha being of a group.

My all time favourite is one I heard Zig Ziglar use (I presume it's a good ol' boy saying?) - "The Daddy Rabbit"

Also have:

The Big Knob

The Grand Poo Bah

The Head Sharrang
(etymology??)

The Big Cohuna

The Big Cheese

The Main Man

The Man (or M.A.N.)

What about some female examples?

stales

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 01:39 AM
just a note -- I believe that the Big Kahuna comes from the personification of the Hawaiian word kahuna into the god of surfing and thus should be properly spelt in that manner.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 01:55 AM
Onliest female one I can think of off hand is Boss Lady.

Posted By: Keiva Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 01:58 AM
Head Honcho (or Honchette)
BMOC
(Edit: BMOC = Big Man On Campus)
Capo de Tuti Capi
Mush Dog
Bell Camel
Leader of the Pack
Bull Male
Boss Man
(or Big Boss Man)
Top Banana

on the feminine side:
Belle of the Ball

Posted By: stales Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 02:38 AM
Keiva - "BMOC" ????????????

stales

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 03:06 AM
SWMBOŽ

Posted By: Keiva Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 03:40 AM
Can anyone confirm that US black-slang used to include the term HNIC, standing for "Head Negro in Charge"? ("negro" being here a more-polite version of the word actually used)

Posted By: Bryan Hayward Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 12:54 PM
One used in the military a lot: HMFIC. Head Mother-f***er In Charge.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 02:31 PM
The Alpha ______ (fill in the blank; Wolf is the original version)

Posted By: Faldage Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 02:46 PM
The Alpha ______

I've pertnear allus seen that blank filled in with Male, the wolf or whatever being assumed from the species of discourse. Even in the case of humans the term has always been Alpha Male. However I have also seen Alpha Female as we slowly have come to discover that some species are matriarchal, e.g., an elephant herd will have an alpha female. In some cases there will be a hierarchy of females even in a patriarchal species and there will be an alpha female in those species. This can get complicated by the tendency of some patriarchal species to have the alpha female get her power from her relationship with the alpha male and in vice versa in some matriarchal species.

Posted By: Flatlander Re: Big Knobs - 12/21/01 02:55 PM
Keiva asked: Can anyone confirm that US black-slang used to include the term HNIC, standing for "Head Negro in Charge"? ("negro" being here a more-polite version of the word actually used)

Indeed, this is true. There was a recent uproar when an article in Boston magazine about Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. was titled "Head Negro in Charge." Many objected to the obvious (to some) paraphrase of a very insulting and denigrating moniker.

Posted By: TEd Remington What about some female examples? - 12/21/01 05:18 PM
Wife

(and I have Peggy's permission to post this!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What about some female examples? - 12/21/01 05:33 PM
Wife

As in SWMBOŽ

(ask CapK)

of course, with Faldage, I let him think all the good ideas are his.....

Posted By: musick Re: What about some female examples? - 12/21/01 10:29 PM
Better half.

This isn't very specific®, is it?

Posted By: duncan large Re: What about some female examples? - 12/24/01 04:39 PM
When i was a kid it was Big Sister

I have heard a woman in charge being called "the Queen Bee"

the Duncster
© Wordsmith.org