Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh contronym - 12/16/01 06:44 PM
I found the use of "visible and invisible" as contronyms a bit hard to accept. Not particularly useful as the number of such pairs would be so large. While searching on Internet, I found a new site that I think might interest many members:
http://rinkworks.com/words/linguistics.shtml It gives many useful definitions. I hope it is new.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: contronym - 12/16/01 07:11 PM
bill, my reading of the 'contronym' entry was that visible and invisible were used to show the contronymity of "out", and not that these words were themselves contronyms. in fact, a contronym is one word not two (which is why his using cleave as an example of a contronym reeks of bogosity!!).

Posted By: Jackie Re: contronym - 12/16/01 08:26 PM
Ok, I know I haven't lost my mind on this one. I actually looked to see if somehow my screen had come up on page 2 of the thread. Where, please, was this use of the words 'visible' and 'invisible', 'out', and 'contronym' for that matter, gentlemen?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 12/16/01 08:29 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: contronym - 12/16/01 08:54 PM
Dear Jackie: Tsuwm and I are talking about the last "Today's Word".

Dear tsuwm: My vision is not very good, but when a light is out, it is not invisible to me until it is over a hundred yards awy. I just feel that bit was not up to Wordsmith's standard.

I suppose you could say when the moon is out, we see its light. When a light bulb is out, we see no light from it. And our saying a light is "out" is a carry-over from days of candles and lamps. I think we now more often say a light is "off" referring to action of switch.
© Wordsmith.org