Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Odd Press IV - 11/14/01 02:38 AM
In a letter in today's Jakarta Post from an Australian commenting on Mr. Howard's re-election, I read:

It is a sobering thought which could drive us to drink.

As the letter was otherwise a humourless rant, I can't tell whether this was deliberate or not.

Bingley
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Odd Press IV - 11/14/01 04:09 PM
Now that's a solemn thought that can only make you laugh.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Odd Press IV - 11/14/01 08:49 PM
It is a sobering thought which could drive us to drink.

Perhaps the author of the line was used to a state of inebriation and, fearing the imminent onset of sobriety, felt the need of a prophylactic drink.

Ænigma likes ineffective for inebriation and propitious(!) for prophylactic.

Posted By: wwh Re: Odd Press IV - 11/17/01 01:43 AM
When sophisticated use of spell checker might have been helpful:

In Friday PM CNN online:

The mailer also displayed some criminal
sophistication to cover, or "dry clean," his true
identity and intent, Fitzgerald said. For example, one letter misspelled the word
"penicillin" as "penicillin," he noted.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Odd Press IV - 11/17/01 01:20 PM
And an example from a book review in this week's edition of The Economist of a back formation that is new to me, at any rate:

"Mr. Buruma is very good at describing how, so often, emigres are revulsed by this obvious lack of sincerity."

Bingley
Posted By: wow Re: revulsion - 11/17/01 03:04 PM
OED says - as a first definition - says revulsion is : "The drawing of blood from one part to another - as by counterirritation." (Hmmmm!)
Then notes it is also a "sudden or violent change of meaning"

Posted By: plutarch Re: revulsion - 11/17/01 03:20 PM
revulsion is : "The drawing of blood from one part to another - as by counterirritation."
Is that "counterirritation" or "counterirrigation", wow? They both seem to work.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: revulse - 11/17/01 04:01 PM
revulse is an obs. and rare verb, probably to be considered an inkhorn term of the 17th C. [L. revuls-, ppl. stem of revellere]

Posted By: wwh Re: revulse - 11/17/01 04:19 PM
No word is so ugly that it will not appeal to some teenage group. When looking for things to post about "stales" there was a group proud of name "Stale Urine".

And searching "revulsion" yielded:
Requiems Of Revulsion: A Tribute To Carcass
$11.49 - $13.98
by Various Artists
Song List : Genital Grinder; Reek Of Putrefaction; Rotten To The Gore; ...
CD:$11.49-13.98
I was revulsed.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: revulse - 11/17/01 05:04 PM
it was used in a less revulsive vein in medical texts:
1669 W. Simpson Hydrol. Chym. 78 This virulent acrimony+becomes by a retrograde motion revulsed into the veins. 1673 Harvey Anat. Exerc. ii. 123 To take away the blood+that it might be revulsed from the lungs.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: revulse - 11/18/01 12:01 AM
On revulsing blood from the lungs...did it work?

I remember reading somewhere that there were particular cases of using leeches that actually did help ameliorate the malady in question. Rare, but the article indicated that sometimes leeching did help.

Posted By: wwh Re: revulse - 11/18/01 12:49 AM
It is a wonder that the human race survived some of the things that were advocated by the best physicians available. It seems obvious that many patients must have been harmed by the widely used bleeding of patients who could ill afford to lose the blood. But until it became possible to keep accurate records of large number of patients, and analyze data with sound statistical methods, reliable conclusions were rare indeed. Look how long it took to recognize the evils of cigarette smoking.

Posted By: Bingley Re: revulse - 11/19/01 06:18 AM
Just goes to show something or other. I automatically analysed revulsed as being from a verb revulse. Onelook refers to dictionary.com and Websters for revulse and they give the meaning pull back with force and ascribe it to Cowper (the poet? no dates given).

When I googled revulse and then revulsed there were about 8 or 9 times as many examples of revulsed. Using Onelook I found that revulsed is listed in AHD and Merriam-Websters as an adjective meaning "affected with revulsion". MW dates it back to 1934, but that doesn't make me like it any better.

Of course in a print dicitionary you would see the adjective revulsed if you tried to look up an almost non-existent verb revulse.

Bingley
Posted By: Wordwind Re: revulse - 11/19/01 09:33 AM
About revulsed: Where's Dr. Sam Johnson when ya' need him?

WW

© Wordsmith.org