Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth dog gone - 09/18/01 10:33 AM
An American used this phrase a while back and I've heard it in songs before, like so:

Where's that dog-gone boy?

Any ideas where/why this mock profanity might have developed?

Posted By: wwh Re: dog gone - 09/18/01 01:17 PM
Sounds like one of the multitude of euphemisms for "God-damned".

Posted By: Faldage Re: dog gone - 09/18/01 01:26 PM
multitude of euphemisms

Gol-dern

Dad-gum

Ding-busted

Posted By: Keiva Re: dog gone - 09/18/01 04:08 PM
multitude of euphemisms
darn
drat
ding-it

Posted By: Keiva Re: dog gone - 09/18/01 04:13 PM
"dog-gone boy" -- Any ideas where/why this mock profanity might have developed?

Perhaps, rather than being mock profanity, it stems from "It's a dog-gone shame." I don't take that as profanity, but as an image of sadness, just as in "It's a crying shame."

That's just speculation on my part, having no data one way or the other.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: dog gone - 09/18/01 09:55 PM
Keiva, you are nearly spot on it with your speculation. an alternate view is that the original form was dog on it, to be compared with pox on it.
1826 J. Wilson Noct. Ambr. Wks. 1855 I. 260 Dog on't, ye wicked auld Lucifer, hoo your een sparkle as you touzle the clergy. 1872 C. King Mountain. Sierra Nev. v. 101 ‘Take that, dog-on-you!’

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: dog gone - 09/19/01 08:48 AM
Funny, so it's metathesical similarity to 'God-damn' is purely coincidental, huh.
I remember the song it was in now .. it's that one from M. Jackson performed with P. McCartney, it's called 'The girl is mine', I think ... ah yes, I've even found some amusing mondegreens from the song:

Misheard Lyrics:
The Girl is mine, dark brown girl is mine
The Girl is mine, the dog and girl 're mine

Correct Lyrics:
The girl is mine, the doggone girl is mine

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 09/19/01 09:31 AM
Posted By: jmh Re: dog gone - 09/19/01 09:56 AM
I'd always sung along with the kind of muffled noise that you make when you aren't quite sure.

Thanks to y'all, I'm still losing friends and influencing people by asking them if they know what comes after "Blinded by the Light ..." You should see the affected yawns that my family do and they look at each other and say "She's off...."

Posted By: paulb Re: dog gone - 09/19/01 12:47 PM
Hi BY:

Brewer cites it as a euphemism for 'God-damned' and includes the following [undated] verse:

But when that choir got up to sing,
I couldn't catch a word;
They sang the most doggonest thing
A body ever heard!
[Will Carleton: Farm ballad]

Posted By: Faldage Re: Blinded by the Light - 09/19/01 01:01 PM
Part of the problem is that when Whoozy got a hold of the lyrics he didn't like Bruce's original, which made some sense and changed it to something that didn't and then went ahead and made the song popular. FTR, I have always heard "wrecked up like a doosh'n in the middle of the night". I had the whole thang splained me back a few weeks ago and don't remember what either the original was nor what was Whoozy's alteration (nor, for that matter, who Whoozy is) but I'll kin go ask around and reconstruct.

So you see, Jo, this *is a serious question and any of your friends who feign disinterest when you ask the question are merely masking their own inadequacies. You, on the other hand, are demonstrating your courage by boldy asking one of the important questions of our generation.

Posted By: jmh Re: Blinded by the Light - 09/19/01 02:12 PM
>You, on the other hand, are demonstrating your courage by boldy asking one of the important questions of our generation.

Of course you are right. I should always take your advice on these matters.

Actually the subject was drawn to my attention by a previous thread, somewhere in the bowels of this lot. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it.

She boldly goes
and ... some time later ...
here it is ...
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=7406

Posted By: Fiberbabe Never mind... - 09/19/01 02:35 PM
By all means, follow the link above. I didn't, then I had to come back to edit my post after I did when I realized I had mondegreened it myself.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Blinded by the Light - 09/19/01 04:14 PM
Ah! "Revved up like a deuce...". That makes more sense. I was given "wrapped up like a deuce...". But the Bruce original was, apparently, something more like "cut loose like a deuce...", but Mr. Mann didn't like the internal rhyme so he changed it.

Now *this site http://www.kissthisguy.com/real.html seems to be claiming that "revved up" and "wrapped up" were both done by MMEB

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Blinded by the Light - 09/19/01 04:29 PM
dag-nabbit!

[rant]

Gol-durned has to be one of my least favorite expressions ever. The reason: the cable channel Bravo broadcast the miniseries "Tales of The City" which originally was shown on PBS, and used "gol-durn" extensively for the many times in the script that the actors actually said "god-damn." It was completely absurd for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that a bunch of 20-somethings living in San Francisco in the early 1970's wouldn't go around saying something so corny. Furthermore, anyone who might have been offended by the use of God-damn probably would have been offended even more by the overall story that invovles homosexuals, pot-smoking grandmothers and a secret sex-change operation.

"Bravo" continually amazes me with their seemingly impossible blend of artistic pretention and prudish censorship. When they show the film "Stand By Me" (a great movie), they even edit the taunting of the fat kid ("Lard ass! Lard ass! Lard ass!") to "Lard! Lard! Lard!..." It's pathetic; the movie is a PG rated film.

[end rant]

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Blinded by the Light - 09/19/01 09:09 PM
I agree Faldage...and have you noticed that, more often than not, the voice they use to do the dubbing sounds only faintly like the original? Arghhh, how annoying is that!!

It is even worse with translated movies (we get English to French here). The voices they assign to the characters never really 'fit' their look (let alone the lip movements) and then there is the dubbing over the dubbed voice when a swear word needs to be erased.

Just be thankful you don't have women doing little children voices in your movies. It grates on the nerves.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi And on the subject of dubbing - 09/19/01 10:56 PM
The Japanese-to-the-rest-of-the-world interface comes up with some hilarious messes from time to time, but probably one of the most memorable for me was one of those interminable "samurai go mad in downtown Kyoto and commit mass murder" movies which used to get screened with somewhat monotonous regularity on New Zealand late night television.

The Japanese seem to dub these films in English before they're released and the cultural gulf yawned wide in this particular case. The voice of the lead samurai (who'd accounted for half the population of Honshu within five minutes of the film's beginning and hadn't even worked up so much as a sweat) had been dubbed by someone who had a fairly high-pitched voice and an incipient lisp. I watched the movie through tears of laughter ... now if only he'd looked like Frankie Howerd!

Posted By: TEd Remington Japanese-to-the-world translations - 09/20/01 07:54 PM
See http://www.engrish.com for some hilarious messups in translating Japanese into English, most often on business signs apparently in Japan.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: Japanese-to-the-world translations - 09/21/01 05:39 AM
Yah, Engrish.com is always worth a cruise.

© Wordsmith.org