Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wow Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/16/01 04:06 PM
The heading says it!
At present I am reading the new Brenden DuBois book "6 Days" published recently in Great Britain and Ireland.
Our Water Street Bookstore got a bunch of copies from the UK and I snagged one as he is a super writer.
(Disclaimer : The fact that he lives in a neighboring town and that we used to work for the same newspaper group has nothing to do with the selection. John Irving lives nearby too, and I prefer DuBois!
It's a good book!
I'll whip through "6 Days" as it's a real page-turner sooooo .... any suggestions for more summer reading fare?

No silly Hollywood gossip stories please!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/16/01 08:39 PM
wow dominatrixes: I'll whip through "6 Days..."

How many days you think it'll take you?

I work in a bookstore. Give me an idea of what you like besides B DB and our lovely Lilian J. Braun.

Right now I'm reading "The Wind Done Gone" - the almost-famous parody of "Gone With the Wind" - and "Bridget Jones' Diary." Next I'll go to D. Brock's "If I Never Get Back" - a sort of fantasy/sci-fi baseball tale, that Faldage gave me.

BTW, I hear G. Godwin's "Heart" and A. Dubus's "House of Sand and Fog" are good.

Posted By: Geoff Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/16/01 10:54 PM
I just finished LOST IN TRANSLATION by Nicole Mones,an historical novel about the loss of Peking Man. Pretty good stuff, linking Pierre Tailhard DeChardin's archaeological and philosophic works with a well-told, if hackneyed, storyline.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 01:00 AM
>"House of Sand and Fog"

4 words: dark, tragic, Oprah's bookclub

I'm currently reading Le Carré's The Constant Gardener. these days, in lieu of spies, he's tilting at unrestrained capitalism.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 01:30 AM
In reply to:

I'm currently reading Le Carré's The Constant Gardener. these days, in lieu of spies, he's tilting at unrestrained capitalism

I bought that book, and while I didn't hate it, I found it possible to put down. And one afternoon I put it down and never picked it back up.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 02:01 AM
"Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates" by Tom Robbins is out in paperback. I am a huge fan of his writing and love this book. I originally bought this on cassette and listened to it from my hammock in Tulum, Mexico last February. He had me spitting right along with Switters! If all you know of this man's books is "Sometimes Even Cowgirls Get the Blues", it's time to give him another try.

consuelo
Posted By: wow Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 03:29 PM
Re "6 Days"
How many days you think it'll take you?
This afternoon and tomorrow should see me through! Got sidetracked yesterday and had to stop for the day Grrrrr.

I work in a bookstore. Give me an idea of what you like besides B DB and our lovely Lilian J. Braun.
Finished P.D. James "Death In Holy Orders" another great addition to her Dalgliesh series and in this one the start of a "love interest" for the intrepid DCI.
PD now 80-years-old! Can we hope for one more or will she leave us wondering?
Summer is my Fiction Season. Nothing serious and Oprah's book club doesn't appeal as the books have been mostly been about life transitions for the young adults (younger than I, anyway) and I've done all that!
Mysteries appeal. Especially if well written. I'm racking my brain afor the title of the mysteries featuring the older woman, retired ad exec, who moves to English village and keeps getting embroiled in mysteries all the while pining for the handsome, elusive fellow who lives next door.

Stories set in Hawaii, about Hawaiians are a favorite -- Have you read "Shark Dialogues" by Kiana Davenport?

This give you any ideas?

Thank you all for suggestions so far ... I am making a list ... keep 'em coming!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 05:04 PM
Well, my current reading list will take a little longer than the summer. I combined the "best novels of the twentieth century" lists at http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100best/novels.html into one list that has 175 books on it that I figure I'll be able to finish before I retire. And this doesn't even include the great books from before the 20th century that I'll have to read.

I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged, which I find very interesting, but I'm sure most of you have already read it because it's a classic. Excellent writing, compelling "mystery" and an interesting philosophy. Then again, I probably shouldn't even mention it because of the tilt this board has toward the left.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 05:24 PM
I'm currently reading Atlas Shrugged, which I find very interesting, but I'm sure most of you have already read it because it's a classic. Excellent writing, compelling "mystery" and an interesting philosophy. Then again, I probably shouldn't even mention it because of the tilt this board has toward the left.

Read Das Kapital yet, JazzO?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 05:33 PM
Read Das Kapital yet, JazzO?

Not yet. I'll have to wait a while for that. I'm not sure I can handle two diametrically opposed philosophies in such a short period. Is it a good book, though?

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 10:42 PM
Ulysses!...he promises himself for the umpteenth time!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 10:49 PM
Ulysses!...he promises himself for the umpteenth time!

Belated happy Bloom's Day.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/17/01 10:55 PM
Mysteries appeal. Especially if well written.

Have you ever read Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries? Excellent characters, intriguing plots, and a fascinating historical setting-- England during the 12th century, when King Stephen and Empress Maude/Matilda were fighting over the throne. Brother Cadfael is one of my favorite literary characters, right up there with Lord Peter Wimsey.
Speaking of Lord Peter, all of Dorothy Sayers' mystery novels are wonderful.
I also recommend Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries, which are a lot of fun and very well written.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 04:34 AM
In reply to:

Oprah's book club doesn't appeal as the books have been mostly been about life transitions for the young adults (younger than I, anyway) and I've done all that!

Well, in that case, have you tried Mary Wesley, who started writing in her 70s and must be almost 90 by now (unless she's died without my noticing)? Her characters live unusual lives without being wierd themselves.

Another favourite is Barbara Pym, who can best be described as a sort of updated Jane Austen.

Bingley

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 07:11 AM
The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Posted By: Bean Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 11:46 AM
Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. Fabulous.

They've made a movie of it but because it stars Nicholas Cage I REFUSE to consider seeing it.

Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. Fabulous.

They've made a movie of it but because it stars Nicholas Cage I REFUSE to consider seeing it.

Was it his atrocious performance in the very flimsy 'City of Angels' that made you hate him so much, Bean? I was obliged to sit through it with a female who ended up not enjoyed it either. I thought his did adequately in Lynch's 'Wild at Heart' though.

Posted By: Bean Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 03:32 PM
Actually, it was ConAir. He was supposed to be from the southern US - and I know I've never actually been there - but even I could tell that his accent SOOKED!!!! (Newfie pronounciation of "sucked".) Also the accent came and left throughout the movie, and somehow made him sound a little slow in the head, without sounding believably southern. And his character was annoying. So that was it for me, no more Nicholas Cage - especially not to ruin a good book!

Posted By: maverick Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 03:56 PM
a little slow in the head, without sounding believably southern

Hey, Bean, you dissin' mah freyundz frahm Kaintuckeh?

Posted By: Bean Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 04:50 PM
Hey, Bean, you dissin' mah freyundz frahm Kaintuckeh?

Nah, not dissin' anyone. Just that Southerners seem to talk slow (-er than me), but Nic Cage's interpretation of the accent made him sound stupid, or drugged, or both.

Posted By: wow Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/18/01 05:52 PM
Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael ; Lord Peter, all of Dorothy Sayers' mystery novels ... Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries

Read 'em all! We must be book-soul-mates!
As for Corelli's Mandolin, I do believe I mentioned that book way back last year sometime. Got my copy when it came out in England. Nice to have a friend that flies to London for American Airlines!

You all are dealing with an Old lady and an omniverous reader.

Re : Really dark books -- the series by Andrew Vachss. Heavy subject matter - child abuse - but well done.
http://www.vachss.com/

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Of Nicholas Cage and A Poetry Book - 06/19/01 04:02 AM
Nicholas Cage

Well, remember it doesn't take a lot of talent to get a break when you're Francis Ford Coppola's nephew! You just kind of learn as you go along! Hollywood nepotism has gotten so out of hand that the talent pool has really been watered down. But with all the money that's at stake these days, I guess they figure they might as well "keep it in the family"...guess we'd all do the same thing if we were there...just human nature!

A Book for Poetry Lovers

I discovered the most incredible anthology of verse two years ago entitled World Poetry : An Anthology of Verse from Antiquity to Our Time edited by Washburn, Major, Fadiman. It contains more than 1600 poems drawn from dozens of languages and cultures, and spans a period of more than 4000 years from ancient Sumer and Egypt to the late Twentieth Century! ...poetry of all styles, all eras, all tongues. The editors chose poems of the highest intrinsic quality from all eras, not merely samples. And the translaters are some of the finest talents working today, many of them accomplished poets in their own right. It's a refreshing departure from the English-only tunnel vision of world literature so many English speaking countries have taught in the schools for centuries! And fascinating to connect with the words, images, and passions of ancient poets and visionaries!
W. W. Norton & Company, New York/London 1998.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 10:41 AM
wow nudges: You all are dealing with an Old lady and an omniverous reader.

Do you read tea leaves, too?

More mysteries: on the classic side, have you read Eco's The Name of the Rose? On the light side, have you read Evanovich's numbered series? (Seven-Up comes out today).

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 11:26 AM
In reply to:

a little slow in the head, without sounding believably southern

Heh heh. I'd be offended by this if I wasn't so tickled.

But I digress from the topic... There are several older books out there that, if you have never read them, you are in for a treat:

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (speaking of the South)
Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving
Catch-22 by Jospeh Heller

All very readable books and quite exciting. At least that's what I've heard. I aim to go buy some books one day once I git me some shoes.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 11:41 AM
wow claims to be an omniverous reader.

Does that mean you read everything that is truthful? Or everything that is green?

Posted By: maverick Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 01:13 PM
This week's books, in no particular order have seen me sailing through #8&9 in the Richard Bolitho series of novels (about life in the Napoleonic-era navy), howling at the moon with Evans' beautiful The Loop (same author as Horse Whisperer), and currently stirred by Chocolat - much richer than the film.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 01:58 PM
How about Body and Soul, by Frank Conroy? It is the tale of the early years of a pianist and composer. A good story, with interesting musical references.

Or: Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card. A parallel novel to the wonderful Ender's Game.

As for House of Sand and Fog; one word: blech.

Posted By: wow Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 07:42 PM
AnnaS > Do you read tea leaves, too? Yes.

Evanovich's numbered series? (Seven-Up comes out today). That's a new one to me ... will look for them.

Alex : Yep, read 'em all. "Save the bombardier!"

you read everything that is truthful? Or everything that is green? Yup!

Body and Soul, by Frank Conroy? Or: Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card. Will check them out!

Thank you all
wow

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/19/01 07:59 PM
for a variation on the mystery genre, I always take to what I call "caper" novels. I'm thinking of writers like Donald Westlake (the Dortmunder series) and Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaason.

Posted By: nikeblack Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/20/01 01:32 AM
Ahh, where shall I start?

Lee Smith, Fair and Tender Ladies, for those of us who love the slow comtemplation of the Southern voice.

John Bellairs (look in the Children's section) very fun entertainment and well written. Which reminds me, look in the kids and teens sections of libraries and bookstores. There are some wonderful authors writing for those age groups: quick reads that aren't dumbed down. (Trust me on this!) E.g. : Anna of Byzantium, Fever (about the yellow fever epidemic of 1793 in Philadelphia), Mary, Bloody Mary, The Midwife's Apprentice, Ella Enchanted, and most things by the author Avi.

Jane Austen, always

In the mystery writers' department : Tony Hillerman

Connie Willis - Passage isn't bad, however, I still think The Doomsday Book is her best.

Series by Guy Gavriel Kay, Sailing to Sarantium and Lord of Emperors. Number three is NYP.

And, my favorite travel author Bill Bryson. (His description of a cricket match from In a Sunburned Country is terrific {if you're an American who still is mystified by the game after a dear Aussie uncle's attempts to expalin the game.})

Posted By: Bingley Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/20/01 05:31 AM
Wow, let me add Robertson Davies to your list if he hasn't been mentioned already. I'm currently reading the Deptford Trilogy, which is a good place to start if you're not familiar with his works. Quirky humour, an older person's outlook on life, and believable descriptions of Canadian life (as to how true to life they are, I leave that up to others to comment on).

Bingley
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/20/01 10:41 AM
Alex good-natures: Heh heh. I'd be offended by this if I wasn't so tickled.

Me, too. But since Atlanta, Georgia has nothing to do with the South, I ain't.

Posted By: Bean Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/20/01 11:04 AM
I love reading Robertson Davies because for once I don't have to translate the Americanisms into Canadianisms for a meaningful understanding! I have devoured all his fiction, except for The Diary of Samuel Marchbanks, and recommend them highly to anyone I meet.

Re: John Bellairs. I love his books! I am also too scared to read them again! I have too much imagination and his scary ghosty things seemed SO REAL the first time around, that I am reluctant to re-read them. While on the subject of great young adult books, I suggest "Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen. I've read it many times and it still amazes me.

Posted By: Brandon Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/20/01 01:22 PM
I have a startling summer reading suggestion (actually proffered by my wife as we strolled through a bookstore recently):

Read the books on the shelves at home!

She's got a good point.

Posted By: Alex Williams Robertson Davies - 06/20/01 01:53 PM
They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but I love the Robertson Davies books, and I love the artwork on the paperback covers.

So what are Tony Hillerman novels like?

If you have never read Lois Lowry's "The Giver" and "Number the Stars" you're in for a treat. Ostensibly written for older children, they are worthy of appreciation by adults.

Posted By: Hyla Re: Robertson Davies - 06/20/01 04:39 PM
Robertson Davies is a great writer, and I mourned his passing a few years ago, as I'd read all his novels and had no hope for more.

I'm currently reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon (who lives right here in Berkeley, CA). It just won the Pulitzer, and it's a lot of fun.

I will also make my perennial plug for the novels of Dorothy Dunnet, especially the Lymond Chronicles - historical fiction set in Scotland, England and France just before and in the early days of the reign of Elizabeth I - glorious language, intricate plots, political machinations, and you'd even learn some history. Alongside the Lord of the Rings, they're my favorite novels by far.

Posted By: maverick Re: Sea stories - 06/22/01 06:04 PM
As a few people have enquired, some detail on the ‘Bolitho’ novels I mentioned:

Author: KENT, Alexander
Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE (Arrow Paperback in your territories?)
First title in series: MIDSHIPMAN BOLITHO
ISBN: 0 09 986350 2
(Next titles include Stand into Danger, In Gallant Company, Sloop of War,
To Glory We Steer, Command a King’s Ship… and another sixteen titles(!) ending with Sword of Honour.

This and subsequent titles chart the key protagonist’s rise through the British navy from 1772 through to the aftermath of the Napoleonic War. These yarns contain fascinating historical background, attractive characterisation, and much of the same general interest if you enjoy the Hornblower, Aubrey/Maturin, or Ramage series.

Posted By: consuelo Re: Summertime reading : suggestions? - 06/24/01 07:43 PM
I am currently re-reading "Lucifer's Hammer" written by one of the best writing teams in the sci-fi genre, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Others by this team that I highly recommend are: "The Mote in God's Eye", "The Legacy of Heorot" and its sequel, "Beowulf's Children". One more sci-fi selection that will leave you wanting more...."Neptune Crossing" by Jeffrey A. Carver

consuelo
Posted By: nikeblack Re: Robertson Davies - 06/25/01 12:35 AM
So what are Tony Hillerman novels like?

Hillerman's mysteries are set in the American Southwest, in the Four Corners area where Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico meet. His detectives are Navaho tribal policemen and the mysteries often turn on some aspect of Navaho legend or custom. He has a wonderful capacity for describing Navaho customs and ways -- good enough to teach us white folk about their culture without lecturing. And all that in the context of a rattling good tale.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Hillerman - 06/25/01 02:33 AM
I have heard that Tony Hillerman's portrayals of Navaho life and customs are not all that accurate. I wouldn't know. I've only come across one of his which someone gave me in the form of a talking book.

Bingley
Posted By: nikeblack Re: Hillerman - 06/25/01 05:05 PM
Hillerman is, at least in the fiction department, the best I've come across on the Navaho...

From some Lit. Crit./Bio. resources (Gale's):
(Hillerman) has been honored by organizations ranging from the Navajo Tribal Council to the Mystery Writers of America. . . Sympathy alone, however, is not enough. Indeed, Hillerman knows that sympathy unchecked by rigor is condescension. He works hard to make his descriptions of Navajo culture as accurate as possible. In Carol Cleveland's entry in Twentieth-Century Crime and Mystery Writers (1985), Hillerman notes:

I think the setting must be genuinethe reader must be shown the Indian reservation as it is today. . . . More than that, the details must be exactly accuratefrom the way a hogan is built, to the way a sweat bath is taken, to the way it looks, and sounds, and smells at an Enemy Way Ceremonial at 2:00 A.M. on a wintery morning.

Some of that accuracy can be achieved through research. I think I've read everything that's been written about Navajo history, Hillerman said in a 1987 interview with Betty and Riley Parker. I read the proceedings of the Smithsonian Institute, minutes of tribal council meetings, The Navajo Times, The Hopi Weekly. At other times, fieldwork is necessary: I cross-examine my Navajo friends, he reported to Bulow, and hang shamelessly around trading posts, police substations, rodeos, rug auctions, and sheep dippings. Although Hillerman has committed his fair share of factual errors, and although he limits his use of setting to insure that his descriptions of Navajo customs and values are germane to the plot, his general sense of Navajo culture is accurate. Little wonder, then, that in 1986 the Navajo Tribal Council honored him for his sensitive portrayal of the strength and dignity of traditional Navajo culture. As the award declares, he is truly a Special Friend of the Dineh, a writer of mystery novels who is as serious about setting as he is about plot, as interested in culture as in crime.
(Dictionary of Literary Biography, The Gale Group, 1999)

Posted By: Bingley Re: Hillerman - 06/26/01 04:21 AM
My apologies to Mr. Hillerman.

Bingley
Posted By: Vixy Re: Summer Reads - 07/29/01 06:11 PM
PD James is such a great author!!!!!I would highly suggest The Skull Beneath The Skin.Rather gory,but once you get past that its a wonderful read.

Posted By: Vixy Re: Summer Reads - 07/30/01 02:47 PM
The Brother Cadfield series is good(I drifted through one of the books some time ago)and The Alchemist.....thats a fantastic novel!!!!!i loved it!!!!!

© Wordsmith.org