Wordsmith.org
Posted By: PikaPooch forign languages - 06/10/01 08:38 PM
I wonder if anyone can say words in different languages? Tell me if you know any different words in different languages. Thank u!

PikaPooch

Posted By: jimthedog Re: forign languages - 06/10/01 09:09 PM
Yo hablo Espanol en la escuela de canisteo, a las dos y veinticuatro en la tarde. I, obviously, am learning Spanish in school. Espanol should have a tilde, but I can't do that here.

Posted By: wwh Re: forign languages - 06/10/01 11:20 PM
Dear jimthedog: It is not very difficult to make the tilde.Lovely Helen of Troy taught me how to do it. There is a chart called charmap, that you can find by going to Start, then Run, entering "charmap" in the box that appears, press Enter.. This brings up a grid with a lot of different special letters, including the ones with accent marks. You have to find the character you want on the grid, click on it. Then in the lower right of the window there appears the keys you have to press to produce the accented letter you want. To make ñ , press and hold ALT, then on the keypad at the right of your keyboard, press in sequence 0241. When you release the ALT key ñ appears.

Dear jimthedog: If you don't find charmap, you may have to install it. With Windows98 disk in CDRom drive, go Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs,click on Windows Setup tab, Accessories, System Tools, then be sure a check mark is in box opposite Charmap.Wait a bit for the file to be copied. I'm definitely not an IT guru, but I tried hard to make instructions clear. Good luck. Bill

Posted By: Bingley Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 12:50 AM
Menurut saya, ada banyak orang di sini yang berbahasa asing.

Bingley
Posted By: Faldage Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 12:53 PM
Here's all of them.

http://www.malibutelecom.com/yucca/latin1/2.html

Take the decimal code listed in column 1 and do what Dr.Bill suggested with the ALT key. You need to make the decimal number four digit, so include as many leading zeroes as necessary to do this. You can also use the key sequence ampersand(&), hatch(#), nn, semi-colon(;). Thus & # 163 ; (without the spaces) should give you the other pound sign (£). This latter method should *even work on Macs.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 12:55 PM
> Tell me if you know any different words in different languages

This has got to be the most vague thread I've ever seen.
Anyway, will those who post here (e.g. Bingley) offer a translation with their post please :-)

No words are foreign once you have grasped their meaning

Posted By: tsuwm Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 01:34 PM
>This has got to be the most vague thread I've ever seen.

merci, by. for a moment there I was afraid that everyone had been so distracted by the soi dissant orthography that they had been put off the salient feature of the message, which is, obviously, a cri de coeur. n'est-ce pas?

Posted By: wwh Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 02:46 PM
"merci, by. for a moment there I was afraid that everyone had been so distracted by the soi dissant orthography that they had been put off the salient feature of the message, which is, obviously, a cri de
coeur. n'est-ce pas"

Dear tsuwm: I cannot understand your use of "soi dissant" in this context. Apparently it usually means "self-styled" . What did you intend it to mean here?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 02:53 PM
dr. b, if you don't like "self-styled", how about "so-called"?

Posted By: Faldage Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 03:00 PM
"so-called"?

heterography?

Oooh, I ain' gone tell you what Ænigma thinks of all this!

Posted By: Jackie Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 04:29 PM
Re: the orthography, even we Suh-thun-uhs don't spell foreign forign, though we do say it that-a-way. But welcome aBoard, PikaPooch, anyway. P'raps you were in a hurry.

For by: Menurut saya, ada banyak orang di sini yang berbahasa asing. means "According to me, there are many people here who speak foreign (languages)". Good one, Bingley!

Posted By: juanmaria Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 07:16 PM
Like jimthedog I speak Spanish, but from eight to four, after this hour I use to read English. When drunk enough I even can speak a little.

Thank you Bingley
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 07:23 PM
Thanks for restraining me, in your own je-ne-sais-quois kinda way, tsuwm.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: forign languages - 06/11/01 07:31 PM
As jimthedog I speak Spanish, but from eight to four, after this hour I use to read English. When drunk enough I even can speak a little.

hehehe... modesty, thy name is juanmaria.

Posted By: squid Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 06:56 AM
Ich spreche Deutsch! ich bin Amerikanerin, aber ich wohne seit mehr als zwei Jahren in Muenchen. Wenn Sie irgendwas in Deutsch wissen will, dann tue ich mein Bestes!

(I speak German! I'm American, but I have been living in Munich for more than two years. If you would like to know anything in German I'll do my best!)

Wow, the spell check had a real ball with this one :)

Posted By: Sparteye Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 02:52 PM
Wow, the spell check had a real ball with this one

Our words are but a ball of yarn to the kitten Aenigma. She plays until the whole thing is unraveled and strewn about the room. Occasionally, she coughs up a bit in a hair ball.

Posted By: wwh Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 03:57 PM
I am amazed at how often long time members still waste time on the spell checker. I was exposed to it on my first post, but ever since have have avoided evoking it. It is a pathetic joke at best.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Ænigma - 06/12/01 04:36 PM
Dr Bill harrumphs®: I am amazed at how often long time members still waste time on the spell checker. I was exposed to it on my first post, but ever since have have avoided evoking it. It is a pathetic joke at best.

I beg to differ. Ænigma is warm, fuzzy and eccentric, not unlike many AWADers.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Ænigma - 06/12/01 04:57 PM
>Ænigma is warm, fuzzy and eccentric

I find myself (imagine my surprise!) agreeing with dr. bill on this; the only thing fuzzy about 'nigma is its cold, calculating, abecedarian logic.

Posted By: Bean Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 05:04 PM
Ænigma sometimes ate my posts after checking them. That's when I stopped talking to her!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ænigma - 06/12/01 05:09 PM
warm, fuzzy and eccentric

Dunno if I'd go along with warm and fuzzy (well, maybe fuzzy, given an appropriate defintion of fuzzy) but I certainly find it a usable tool. It will find typoes and misspellings. You just can't count on it to give you reasonable alternate choices, but there are other tools that will do that better than many spellcheckers I have seen. It also provides sempiternal* hours of mindless amusement (simple pleasures for simple minds).

*Ænigma suggests senate

Posted By: Anonymous Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 05:12 PM
Ænigma sometimes ate my posts after checking them

sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (gee, this is a first, huh?) but i cannot resist sharing a joke that hyla told me not long ago (it's a favorite of his son's and, as predicted, it delighted my 4 year old as well):

Q: Why is 6 afraid of 7??

A: Because 7 8 9.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: forign languages - 06/12/01 05:19 PM
Pace, Pace, BY. I suspect that PikaPooch is a very young person.

On that assumption, let me offer you, PikaP, a little gratuitous (you can look that up) advice: If you are interested in foreign languages, and I hope you are, then arrange to learn one or more. Start as soon as possible. the younger you start, the easier it is to learn and you will do better. We here know lots of languages, so you can ask for advice here.

© Wordsmith.org