Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 06/06/01 08:41 PM
Posted By: wwh Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/06/01 08:52 PM
My dictionary gives "sororicide". I'm interested in the probable motives. I have read he was in love with girl whose Indian connections worried his mother, and also the court astrologer. Hard to imagine anybody so stressed being able to act with such deadly accuracy and completeness.

Posted By: Rouspeteur Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/07/01 12:22 AM
According to a news report on the CBC, a palace spokesman said the deaths occurred due to the accidental firing of an automatic weapon in the palace.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 06/07/01 02:09 AM

Posted By: NicholasW Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/07/01 11:14 AM
This was the first time I'd seen him referred to as Dipendra (well he hadn't been in the news quite as much before then): I'd always known of him under the spelling Deependra. As in going...

There must be a few cides left out, if I could remember the Latin: amiticide, principicide, avunculicide, reginicide, ...

(Refuses to mention it's a Nepalling tragedy.)

Posted By: Scribbler Re: Sororicide - 06/07/01 04:09 PM
In this part of the country, "sororicide" occurs when the Theta president finds out that a Theta pledge has been makin' out with the Prez's SAE boyfriend. And, BTW, "fratricide" is the result of a most unCivil War when the KAs play the SigAlphs in the intramural basketball finals.

Posted By: Bingley Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/08/01 02:01 AM
While we're (sort of) on the subject, how do members of the panel pronounce the name of the country? I've always thought it was Ni-PAUL, but some newsreaders seem to prefer nipple.

Bingley
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen - 06/08/01 03:27 AM

Posted By: jimthedog Post deleted by jimthedog - 06/08/01 09:02 AM
Posted By: Avy Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/08/01 09:40 AM
> Nipple?

The pronunciation is Ney-pahl. And Dipendra is pronounced Deependra.

They said initially that it was an accident because the Nepali people believe that their royal family are the descendents of the God Vishnu and no member of the royal family can be put on trial. It is hard to imagine that if the crown prince had survived he would have been made King!

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/08/01 03:01 PM
It is hard to imagine that if the crown prince had survived he would have been made King!

Who was the monarch they locked up in a small cell and told him he could continue to be king of all he surveyed? Nay-pahl is the way I've heard it pronounced by Nay-pahl-eez!

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/08/01 11:00 PM
dog woofs: Never heard the nipple pronunciation

Yeah, we can assume that. How about limiting your posts to something informative, and losing the signature line?

Thanks.

harrumph®

Posted By: of troy Re: How many cides to a tragic story? - 06/11/01 12:39 PM
Both Max and Avy comment on the nipple-- but you singled out Jim- You have a valid complaint about the signature line-- but you came across as being rather harsh-- I don't think that was your intent.. but our young pup has been pretty well behaved as late-- I hate to see young people (and he is younger than Jazz-- maybe 9 or 10 grade) scared off. If he doesn't get a chance to hang out here-- how will he learn?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Pronunciations - 06/12/01 06:44 PM
This confusion on the pronunciation of Nepal reminds me of "Stormin' Norman" Schwartzkopf's briefings during the Gulf War, when he pronounced Qatar as "Gutter".

BTW, Aenigma suggests "Schweitzer" for "Schwartzkopf". He should wish.

© Wordsmith.org