Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Cryoseism - 02/06/14 04:48 AM
Known technically as cryoseism, frost quakes are a rare natural phenomena that occur when the temperature drops suddenly, causing moisture in the ground to freeze and expand. They can cause an earthquake-like rumble sometimes with loud, booming noises.

From a news item about cold weather in the U.S. I've never heard of either the word or the phenomenon.

Hmm--cryo I get, but --se-- ?
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Cryoseism - 02/06/14 05:49 AM
-seism, from the Greek to shake, as in seismograph.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Cryoseism - 02/06/14 11:42 AM
You might have heard them if you've ever been around a seriously frozen lake.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cryoseism - 02/06/14 03:59 PM
if 'lake quakes' (my term) are the selfsame phenomena, we got Minnesota, land of 10,000 seriously frozen lakes: not rare at all to hear expansion and contraction of the deeply frozen surface ice.

my reading is that Cryoseisms are soil and rock phenomena.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cryoseism - 02/07/14 03:19 AM
We don't get many seriously frozen anythings down here in Kentucky. Occasionally a pond or low creek will have surface ice.
Thanks for the info., though.

Edit: -seism, from the Greek to shake, as in seismograph. Wait--now I get it. Peter, I read this without seeing it until the screen went back. I never thought of cryoseism(ograph). Cool!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Cryoseism - 02/07/14 10:11 AM
Yep, cryoseism: Pretty cool, when it all shakes out.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cryoseism - 02/08/14 04:19 AM
Grrr--oannnnn! laugh
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Cryoseism - 02/08/14 05:18 AM
It's my mother's fault.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Cryoseism - 02/08/14 05:14 PM
No, Peter, I think it's Alaska's cold.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Cryoseism - 02/08/14 11:24 PM
Actually, it's been warmer here than in most of the country, with grass starting to grow. Blizzard yesterday, 45-mph wind and whiteout; unimpeded sunlight and zephyrs today, right at freezing.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Cryoseism - 02/09/14 05:10 PM
You've been warmer most of the winter as compared
to the Great Lakes area and North East. Luck you.
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Cryoseism - 02/09/14 09:35 PM
Most of us have wanted our winter back. This weekend is Winter Carnival, and it's been perfect, first time in years it hasn't been raining.
© Wordsmith.org