Wordsmith.org
Posted By: freckled_snout Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/30/01 07:56 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I've spent some time browsing and I fear for what this will do to my already poor productivity.

I chose my username because it occurred to me one day that "snout" was a very fun word to say... try it a few times; it's addictive! Then the other day my husband commented on a new freckle on my nose and I grinned because freckle's such a great word too. Of course, I realized I was the proud owner of a freckled snout!!! Yay!!!

What other words do you just love to say out loud? [edited last sentence from "...love the sound of?": better watch my grammar here!]

Bex

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/30/01 08:34 PM
since no one else seems to be about, Rebecca, I'll extend a hearty welcome. (hey, it's not my job! 8 )

-joe f.

p.s. - I just love saying agathokakological. ::twirling mustache::
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/30/01 09:23 PM
Welcome a-Board, Bex =)

We had a discussion not long ago about our favorite words, which i'd intended to link you to, but my search for it was fruitless.

there's a list you might enjoy (along with a ton of other word oddities) at http://members.aol.com/gulfhigh2/words10.html

as for your lentiginous nose, i have 'em too, particularly in the summer months when i get W-A-Y too much sun.

oh, and i really like the sound of 'anacampserote'. ::twirling wand::
Posted By: wow Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/30/01 11:30 PM
Welcome to the Board Freckled_Snout !

Try the city : Ithica! And Uncle...

Posted By: Bingley Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/31/01 03:06 AM
Welcome freckled snout. I think one of my favourite words is the Indonesian malapetaka meaning disaster. I assume it comes from Portuguese, but that's just a guess. Annastrophic?

Bingley
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 05/31/01 09:16 AM
Good to have you with us, f-s: I hope you will derive as much enjoyment from this board as I do.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you over the word "snout," though. To me, it has unfortunate connotations, being the prison cant for tobacco. However, couplling it with "freckled" does ameliorate its impact considerably and can be argued to have a pleasingly oxymoronic effect. (Assuming that one does, as I do, think freckles are really pleasant additions to ones face.)

There are few words that I do not like to say out loud. I love words and I love the sound of words, even when they make no sense to me - I love to hear Italian spoken, for instance, although I don't understand the language.

But currently, I like to have the chance to say "Prĉmonstratensian," - a fairly obscure sect of monks, offshoots of the Cistercian order, I think. There is a whole string of ruined monasteries of that orde round here, so I do get the chance, from time to time, to indulge that particular whim.

Posted By: paulb Re: Bex - 05/31/01 10:57 AM
Hi and welcome Bex:

I should draw to your attention that there is a old Australian remedy for 'tiredness':

"A cup of tea, a Bex, and a good lie down."

[Bex is, or was, a type of aspirin tablet, of course!]

Posted By: maverick Re: Bex - 05/31/01 11:22 AM
Hi Bex, and welcome. It's an engaging nuthouse here - enjoy yourself! I like the sound snout, too. And freckles, despite what my darlin' daughter thinks, are what every man I know loves looking at

I love the sound of so many words - some of them even exist already

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Bex - 05/31/01 12:21 PM
I love the sound of so many words - some of them even exist already

And if they don't do, well - in Welsh you do be able to make 'em up as you go along, isn't it, boyo?

Posted By: maverick Re: Bex - 05/31/01 12:29 PM
Sur to be, boyo. Or we nick a few from the Saes, who have more than they know what to do with

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Bex - 05/31/01 12:43 PM
We have a sufficiency, certainly - but you have a few more words to describe rain, and many more to describe the relative beauty of sheep.

Posted By: Jackie Back to the gutter! - 05/31/01 12:48 PM
the relative beauty of sheep.
Whoa--incest and bestiality, at one and the same sheep--
I mean, time. Aunt mav, I must say I'm shocked!

Posted By: maverick Re: Back to the gutter! - 05/31/01 12:57 PM
Hence the traditional Welsh songs 'Maaaah! He's making eyes at me!' and 'Ewe'll Never Walk Alone'

And if the good lord had not intended farmers to love their livestock, he'd have never invented wellies!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Back to the gutter! - 05/31/01 02:50 PM
As bestiality has been mentioned, I'm tempted to bring in flagellation and necrophilia, but I'm afriad I might be accused of flogging a dead horse.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: my kingdom for a horse - 05/31/01 02:56 PM
>flogging a dead horse

somewhere in the long distant past I saw a movie (I swear), a western, wherein a Mexican lad walks up to a collapsed, exhausted animal and speaks this one line: "Are you dead, horse?" I cannot place this movie, nor do I ever hope to (although it may have had Marlon Brando it it :).

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/01/01 01:43 AM
Welcome, Frex!
b96 was looking for a similar thread... well, I hunted down the anti-thread: http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=13548&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5
As for me, I derive untold enjoyment from triptych. Don't get nearly enough opportunity to use that one in conversation.
My small attempt at bringing us back out of the gutter... Shhh, y'all! You'll scare her away!

Posted By: maverick Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/01/01 11:23 AM
... Shhh, y'all! You'll scare her away!

Nah. Check the website

BTW, are you playing in the Worldwide Sim Pairs competition today, Bex (and Sparteye and tsuwm and other bridge players)?

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/01/01 11:57 AM
Welcome, freckled_snout! I can tell from the response that you have picked a very clever username. I wish you lots of enjoyment here.

chronist
Posted By: Geoff Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/02/01 05:45 PM
I realized I was the proud owner of a freckled snout!!!

I immediately thought of the character in A Midsummer Night's Dream, and began to wonder if you also have a freckled Flute, or a freckled Bottom? Gutter police, don't blame me, Shakespeare wrote it!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ithica - 06/02/01 06:47 PM
Boy howdy, wow. I had trouble spelling it that way. It's Ithaca, where the odyssey ends.

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/02/01 10:12 PM
What other words do you just love to say out loud?

Welcome to the board freckled_snout!...Great name!

My all-time favorite oratorical word was an Amerindian name I picked up when my sister's family lived in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania... Monongahela . It's the river that flows out of West Virginia through Western Pennsylvania and then connects with the Allegheny at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio. Monongahela...See...I
can't just say it once!

Posted By: wow Re: Ithica/Ithaca - 06/03/01 02:12 PM

Gee willikers. Sorry. You are right of course. IthAca where the University is, too!

Posted By: wwh Re: Ithica/Ithaca - 06/03/01 03:18 PM
Far above Cayuga's waters, there's an awful smell. Just an old deserted backhouse that they call Cornell.

Posted By: wow Re: Ithica/Ithaca - 06/03/01 08:58 PM
Oh, Bill. Now you're in for it!

Posted By: wwh Re: Ithica/Ithaca - 06/03/01 10:08 PM
Not unless my son who graduated from Cornell sees it.

Posted By: Kupatchka Re: Snout! Snout! Snout! - 06/04/01 12:44 AM
Whenever I hear the word Monongahela, I think of a song the wonderful Beatrice Lillie sang which began "Come, oh come to Pittsburgh". The only other words I can remember are "Where the Monongahela flows...". Speaking of Lady Peal (sp?), does anyone know if any of her performances are on CD?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Funny Smells - 06/05/01 10:27 AM
The official school lyrics are:

Far above Cayuga's waters
there's a funny smell.
Some say it's Cayuga's waters,
Others say Cornell.

Let's keep that straight!

© Wordsmith.org