Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth On the Rocks - 05/17/01 01:49 PM
Mister Vin Diesel got me thinking about mix drinks and I wondered what names there may be for simple mixes (i.e. not cocktails) in various countries, so I've started this frivolous thread. To get us started....

beer & lemonade = shandy (Brit.); ? (U.S.)
beer & cola = ?
hot chocolate & rum = ?
beer & gin = dog's nose (Brit.)
juice & champagne = ?

BTW. What do the British call a cider with raspberry/berry juice?

Posted By: NicholasW Re: On the Rocks - 05/17/01 02:50 PM
beer & lemonade = shandy (bitter shandy)
lager & lemonade = lager shandy
beer & Guinness = black & tan
lager & cider = snakebite
champagne & Guinness = black velvet
champagne & orange juice = buck's fizz (I think)

"and black" means with a dash of blackcurrant, e.g. cider and black

"top" means a splash of lemonade (or possibly lime, I don't know which -- not something I do personally (yeuch) --), e.g. lager top

HISTORICAL NOTE
gin & port = flesh & blood (I found this in Georgette Heyer: it's remarkably good)

Posted By: Faldage Re: On the Rocks - 05/17/01 02:53 PM
beer & cola = ?

Gag me with a spewwn!

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: On the Rocks - 05/17/01 03:02 PM
Lemonade and Orange juice is "St Martins"

Lager topped with bitter is "Golden"

Mild and Bitter is "Arf an Arf" (i.e. Half and half, for those O/S the UK)

a version of snake bite (see prev. post) known as "death bite" is made from Carlsberg Special Brew with Strongbow Cider (Whew!!! many pubs round here refuse to serve the mixture, which makes people very beligerent)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: On the Rocks - 05/17/01 03:43 PM
good thread idea, BY!

champagne and orange juice: here, Mimosa. Over Pond, Buck's Fizz (is that correct?)

Posted By: wordcrazy Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 03:07 AM
Faldage

beer & cola = ?

Gag me with a spewwn

Oh, Faldage, what your missing! It is most delicious! This used to turn my prim and proper grandmother into a dancing maniac. It is easy and quick to get drunk on it because it is sweet and pleasant.

chronist
Posted By: rodward Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 07:20 AM
Lemonade and Orange juice is "St Martins"

I thought Lemonade and Orange was "St. Clements" as in the rhyme "Oranges and Lemons, say the bells of St. Clements".

A "Pauper's Black Velvet" is Guinness and Cider.
"Buck's Fizz" is as tentatively proposed twice previously, Champagne and Orange.
But I have never heard of many already mentioned.

Rod

Posted By: Faldage Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 11:22 AM
wordcrazy suggests that beer and cola is sweet and pleasant and therefore easy and quick to get drunk on

Gag me with two spewwns!

Posted By: of troy Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 01:50 PM
actually, most of the libations mentioned here are not servered "on the rocks"-- (from ice looking like diamonds?)--
and in a long ago previous thread-- I mentioned that i don't like beer-- but will occationally have a little-- but over ice.
what about Gin and Organge-- Screwdriver
and Vodka and Orange -- Oranage Blossum (or is it the other way round?)

vodka and tomato -- "bloody Mary" and Gin and Tomato ??
--and any know the 3 jays? Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Jose C..??(i think, or is it 3 kings? any one out there know-- This grandma has been known to become a bit of a maniac doing shots of 3's )

and I am one with Faldage-- coke and beer-- Its the worst of two worlds!

My own grandmother solution to "fear of flying" was a manhattan before you went to airport, a manhattan at the airport-- and when the steward on the plane said "anything to drink?" an other manhattan-- when you wake up-- you're in NY!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Different Problem, Same Answer - 05/18/01 02:01 PM
coke and beer-- It's the worst of two worlds!

Either separately, OK. Together, ewww!

I have a friend who worked with troubled youngsters; one of them finished off my friend's bottle of single malt, which would have been bad enough in itself but it was done mixed with Pepsi®.

Posted By: satin Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 03:49 PM
vodka & oj makes a screwdriver but if you drizzle a small amount of Galliano over the top it makes a Harvey Wallbanger (my husbands favorite drink)

Posted By: Faldage Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 04:13 PM
Then there is one (or two) we invented time back way back (just) after the bad time. It does have to be on the rocks since it depends on melting ice to complete the effect.

Crush Depth:
Equal parts vodka and ouzo (they naturally separate).
Pour in blue Curaçao®.

When the ice starts melting you get a clear blue layer and a cloudy blue layer.

Or use red Curaçao for a Cæsar's Blood.

Beautiful looking but yucky tasting.

Posted By: musick Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 07:40 PM
As an occasional drinker (x364=I don't *drink on my birthday)... "Black and Tan" = requires an ale for the "tan". If one uses lager then it is called a "Half 'n Half" (in dis here town)

satin - I seem to remember the alternative name was Harvey WallClimber (from those that had a few...)

Posted By: satin Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 08:28 PM
All I know is that one makes my head light and two pretty much makes me pie-eyed and we won't even discuss three.

Posted By: wow Re: On the Rocks - 05/18/01 08:49 PM
A New England contribution :
Cranberry juice and vodka -- "Cranberry Fog"

Myself, I'm a "nip and tuck" drinker = one nip and I have to be tucked in for the night!

Posted By: belligerentyouth Hold the Ice - 05/21/01 08:02 AM
> and I am one with Faldage-- coke and beer-- Its the worst of two worlds!
I agree

> most of the libations mentioned here are not servered "on the rocks"

Well, pardon me Helen, I forgot how seriously some here take their ebriety, and although the weekend is over here's Cheers, Yamas, Skulle and Prost to all.

Posted By: rodward Re: Hold the Ice - 05/21/01 08:30 AM
and moving onto wine we have Kir and Kir Royale.
Kir is White wine (originally aligote but now any white wine) and Cassis; Kir Royale is Champagne and Cassis.

and linking to the thread on skipping rhymes we have (instead of potatoes) "One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor"

Rod

Posted By: wow Re: Hold the Ice - Mai Tai - 05/21/01 08:19 PM
One Mai-Tai : talking to self
Two Mai-Tai : talking to God
Three Mai-tai : God answering.

Posted By: lapsus linguae Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 04:30 AM
*passing Faldage a spewwn*
a friend cries of the delights of coke and milk.

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 07:10 AM
> the delights of coke and milk.

That takes the cake! Reserved applause will go to anyone who can name a beverage more dreadful..

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 02:59 PM

That takes the cake! Reserved applause will go to anyone who can name a beverage more dreadful..

Coke on its own?

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 03:04 PM
I thought Lemonade and Orange was "St. Clements" as in the rhyme "Oranges and Lemons, say the bells of St. Clements". says Rod

You are, of course, perfectly correct, Sir.
I nodded slightly at that point, thinking of the local St Martin's College, with whom I have been deally a lot, just recently.
They appear in the next line of the old song, claiming an unpaid debt of 1.25% of an old penny!

Posted By: of troy Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 03:05 PM
coke and milk is a step child of a "brown cow" Root beer and milk...

I learn to never complain about insomnia as child after once being offered a cure-- warm milk mixed ½ and ½ with warm stout.. -- the most vile stuff -- total undrinkable. (i think each, on there own is pretty bad-- together --ugh!)

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 05:05 PM
Coke and milk
Funny you should say, "That takes the cake." There is a famous recipe, beloved of community cookbooks sold as fundraisers, for Coca Cola Cake, which is actually made with the stuff.

Posted By: Sparteye Re: On the Rocks - 05/23/01 06:17 PM

That takes the cake! Reserved applause will go to anyone who can name a beverage more dreadful.

My son's own invention: pink lemonade mix in milk. It makes a curds-and-whey layered drink. Pretty colors, though.

© Wordsmith.org