Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm yet another enantiodrome - 12/04/12 04:50 PM
here's a word that has undergone recent enantiodromia: nonplussed

In standard use, nonplussed means 'surprised and confused'. In North American English , a new use has developed in recent years, meaning 'unperturbed'--more or less the opposite of its traditional meaning. This new use probably arose on the assumption that non- was the normal negative prefix and must therefore have a negative meaning. Although the use is common, it is not yet considered standard.
- New Oxford American Dict.
Posted By: BranShea Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/04/12 07:23 PM
Though interesting may be this change of meaning I am nonplussed in both its actual meanings about the fact. Words turn their cloack as easily as politicians. I've looked up the other word you smuggeled in: enantiodromia ( never heard it before and sounding very Greekish to me)

Enantiodromia. Literally, "running counter to", referring to the emergence of the unconscious opposite in the course of time. This characteristic phenomenon practically always occurs when an extreme, one-sided tendency dominates conscious life; in time an equally powerful counterposition is built up, which first inhibits the conscious performance and subsequently breaks through the conscious control. (from Wikipedia)
Posted By: Faldage Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/05/12 12:21 AM
I would say the meaning is not inherently obvious however you interpret the prefix non-.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/05/12 12:33 AM
well, non plus is Latin for 'no more' and we originally had the noun 'nonplus', meaning a state in which no more can be said or done; then came the verb nonplus, to bring to a nonplus or standstill; to perplex, confound - et voila, much later, it is reinterpreted as not perplexed, or unperturbed.
Posted By: Faldage Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/05/12 01:32 PM
As I said, not inherently obvious. Not to your normal modern speaker.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/05/12 05:55 PM
stay with bemused, then.
Posted By: olly Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/05/12 10:29 PM
before I knew the meaning of the word. I thought it meant 'not bothered'
Posted By: BranShea Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/06/12 11:01 AM
Didn't know it either, but the information was right here. We use non plus ultra for expressing the very best
Posted By: Faldage Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/06/12 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
stay with bemused, then.

Bemused has its own problems. Too much crosstalk with amused.
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/06/12 11:41 PM
If I run out of inspiration, am I demused? [/inocent-face icon]
Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 12:10 AM
demused

The state of having absolutely no ability or desire to participate in anything beautiful, useful, noble, or artistic. It describes someone who not only lost the confidence or the energy to create, but who decided that these kinds of endeavors were a waste. The human spark is extinguished from such a person and all that is left is a hollow consumer shell.

Antonym of Bemused, the state of being inexplicably distracted, which was thought to be a result of being visited by one of the mythical Muses, who granted talents in the arts and sciences.

While only a Muse can Bemuse someone, many people and groups are capable of Demusing others, including fraternities, Joel Osteen, shift supervisors, Clear Channel Radio Stations, Jeff Foxworthy, people who make Disney movies, anybody who works for Verizon, Tom Clancy, Thomas Kinkade, Paula Deen, Instagram, Reddit, the Grand Theft Auto franchise, etc.
A: He used to be so smart and creative, now all he does is drink on the weekends and play video games. When did he get demused?

B: He went to WVU.

-Urban Dictionary
Posted By: Rhubarb Commando Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 05:59 PM
Many thanks, tsuwm.
Posted By: BranShea Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 07:47 PM
I did LIU but I miss the clue when I don't understand WVU. Can't be
West Virginia University.....Could it be translated to words?
Bemused is a word I've long taken for something like amused, but in a more introvert, secluded way. Thanks.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 08:11 PM
as you know, Branny, the Urban Dictionary comprises definitions contributed by ordinary folk such as you and I. (I myself submitted one just to see how easy it is. (very)) I suggest this particular def'n was submitted by someone who, in addition to being clever with words, was taking a cheap shot at West Virginia University, or more probably, someone who went there - in fact, the entire def'n may apply to some poor, demused schmuck of their acquaintance.
Posted By: jenny jenny Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 09:53 PM
Maybeso, tsuwm, but I like this enantiodrome whether it is a proper enantiodrome or not. "Demused" as defined has a function in this badly demused world.
And don't argue. Lest I think you are one. frown
Posted By: tsuwm Re: yet another enantiodrome - 12/07/12 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
Maybeso, tsuwm, but I like this enantiodrome whether it is a proper enantiodrome or not. "Demused" as defined has a function in this badly demused world.
And don't argue. Least I think you are one. frown

1. one what?!
b. if you're going to get all pedantic on me, I have to point out that I think you meant 'Lest I think you are one'
iii. argumentative?? moi?!?
© Wordsmith.org