Wordsmith.org
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/03/12 04:24 PM
Green Peas are a menace to society:

Menace to Society

A youth, the son of Mr. Richard Bolton, of Great Horton, Yorkshire, was playing a few days since with a juvenile companion, who was pretending to place a pea in his ear and to make it come out of his mouth. Bolton, believing the feat to have been really performed, was induced to make the attempt himself, and thrust the pea so far into his ear that it could not be got out. In a vain endeavour to extract it made by a medical man, it was sent further in, and the poor boy died four days afterwards from the effects.

– Times, Nov. 27, 1850

In the burying-ground at Newburyport, may be seen a stone inscribed:

Omnem Crede Dicum Tibi Diluxesse Supremum.
Sacred to the memory of Mrs. Mary M’Hard, the virtuous and amiable consort of Capt. Wm. M’Hard of Newburyport, who amidst the laudable exertions of a very useful and desirable life, in which her Christian Profession was well adorned and a fair copy of every social virtue displayed, was in a state of health suddenly summoned to the Skies and snatched from ye eager embraces of her friends, (and the throbbing breasts of her disconsolate family confessed their fairest prospects of sublinary bliss were in one moment dashed) by swallowing a Pea at her own table, whence in a few hours, she sweetly breathed her soul away unto her SAVIOUR’S arms on the 8th day of March, A. D. 1780.
Ćtatis 47.

– John Robert Kippax, Churchyard Literature, 1877
Posted By: Candy Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/04/12 08:42 AM
I love green peas....and will be careful consuming them tonight.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/04/12 03:28 PM
As do I - even grow them in a good season, which this year is not.
No rain since 20 June.
But in the famine, in England in the mid-1300s, all they had left eat, in Lancashire, was peas. The Lord of the Manor of Myerscough also had a herb garden, and made the dish more interesting for his family and servants by adding Thyme to it.

When his tenants heard of this, they all gathered at the manor door and petitioned him, crying out, "Give us Thyme in our Peas, oh Lord!"
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/17/12 10:01 PM
Fantastic story!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/18/12 10:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Rhubarb Commando
"Give us Thyme in our Peas, oh Lord!"

This is probably a bad pun (if that's not a pleonasm), but I'm willing to give Rhuby the benefit of the doubt.
Of course, the Lord of the Manor gave them what they asked for, because he was a sage judge of situations.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/26/12 01:16 AM
The Lord of the Manor was Sir Basil of Herburville. When he espied the love of his life, from his chair he rose: "Mary!" he cried, "May love's arrow root itself in your heart for me".
Very clever, Jackie! Freshly minted from your treasury of puns, no doubt?

Tell me, when Sir Basil and his love finally died, did they ascend to heaven in an angelic car?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/26/12 11:45 PM
Em--sorry, not getting that one other than minted.
Angelica?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Green Peas........Menace to Sociesty - 08/29/12 01:02 AM
Ah--I caught the word angelica but didn't realize it was an herb. Apparently it doesn't grow here.
It's what they use to make the green sugary thingys that you put on iced cakes to make them look pretty, along with glacé cherries
© Wordsmith.org