Wordsmith.org
Posted By: deansv Does Anyone Know..... - 06/04/12 03:52 PM
I believe there is a word (or brief phrase) in German that is used to refer to someone who has an innate ability to notice typographical errors or mispronunciations. I read an article about it many years ago in the Los Angeles Times, but have been unable to find it since. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Does Anyone Know..... - 06/04/12 05:49 PM
I got some German speaking Facebook friends. I'll ask there.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: raisin-pooper - 06/04/12 06:22 PM
I believe there is a word (or brief phrase) in German that is used to refer to someone who has an innate ability to notice typographical errors or mispronunciations.

Arschloch?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: raisin-pooper - 06/04/12 08:50 PM
heh.
Posted By: Faldage Re: raisin-pooper - 06/04/12 08:59 PM
Not unless they go all over you about the errors they've found. I'm getting some responses on my Facebook question but nothing quite serious yet. The best seems to be Typologe.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: raisin-pooper - 06/04/12 09:07 PM
Typologe

I enjoy the terms pilkunnussija in Finnish and (as noted by one of the comments on your FB posting and referred to above in my subject line) and the German Korinthenkacker.

Not unless they go all over you about the errors they've found.

Unfortunately that seems to be par for the course.
Posted By: Faldage Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

Not unless they go all over you about the errors they've found.

Unfortunately that seems to be par for the course.

Those are the only ones you notice.
Posted By: Jackie Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 02:53 AM
tsuwm, I couldn't help wondering if there's a link between this too shall pass and your subject title change! smile
Posted By: tsuwm Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 04:06 AM
mebbe so - but I dint do it!
Posted By: olly Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 04:39 AM
Would i be considered guilty of Arschloching for pointing out that it was Z who changed the title?
Posted By: Faldage Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 10:40 AM
My German sources on Facebook seem to think there is no such term.
Posted By: BranShea Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 03:38 PM
There is a word for it in Dutch, a bit rougher than nitpicker but I'm not used to offer slang on this forum. Still I think it would fit the general idea. I see it is in the Urban dictionary, but there it gives an incorrect interpretation.
Posted By: Faldage Re: raisin-pooper - 06/05/12 10:34 PM
I don't think nitpicker really gets to the question. That there are some folks who easily see errors of one sort or another doesn't necessarily imply that they're going to get all in a huff about it. And plenty of people who do get in a huff are getting in a huff about something that's not really an error.
Posted By: Jackie Re: raisin-pooper - 06/07/12 12:48 AM
it was Z who changed the title? Hey, Olls--great ta see ya! [hug] Y'all're so right. I didn't scroll up far enough. Bad on me.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Does Anyone Know..... - 06/07/12 05:27 AM
I give you the word on Urban. This is used when someone is going over the top for precision and when you use it you are really badly mad about this.

LINK

You asked for a German word. Many Americans think Dutch is a German dialect. Never mind. Only the first definition is correct. The rest is American foklore.
© Wordsmith.org