Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh What's in a name - 05/08/01 01:07 PM
" Oeufelia is a keen student of oology. " There used to be a lot of jokes about prenatal influences determining characteristics of the offspring. So, let's hear some theories about what "frightened" Oeufelia's mother.

Posted By: wwh Re: What's in a name - 05/08/01 01:29 PM
Well, since "oeuf" is egg in French, maybe her mother dreamt eating an omelet made her pregnant.

Maybe she will grow up to be loved by Omelet, prince of Denmark.

If you're going to make an Omelet, you have to break eggs, and that was the end of Oeufelia.

Oeufelia was cloned as an oologist by a special process that took three ova and no sperm.
Posted By: Jackie Re: What's in a name - 05/08/01 01:29 PM
Oh, I imagine Oeufelia's mother was too hard-boiled to be frightened by much of anything...

Posted By: rodward Re: What's in a name - 05/08/01 02:23 PM
Oeufelia's mother was too hard-boiled to be frightened by much of anything

eggcept by scientists. e.g. an egg-whipped-tologist.
Which was why the egocentric mother was egged on by the father (known as Eggs Benedict)! But she became oeuforic when given a coddle, scrambled downstairs, and shelled out for another chicken to go with the one she poached earlier. She made herself a martini (shaken not shirred) and calmed down by chanting "Om".
Let that be a lesson to you, not to give a challenge like that!

Enoeuf already! These yolks are egregious.

Rod (more later )

Posted By: wwh Post deleted by wwh - 05/08/01 04:27 PM
The URL below gives access to some amusing phony biographical sketches.
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/walkyn/edric3.html

Hey, that's a really neat link! And they're brief, but the one or two I know something about aren't phoney.

Thanks Bill/Faldage.

Posted By: rodward Re: What's in a name - 05/10/01 06:33 AM
Oeufelia is a keen student of oology

Ouefelia was eggshelly® a bit of a flirt and acquired the soubriquet oeuf-en-coquette. As she grew up she became an easy lay, so much so she was called leg over easy **

Rod (I warned you there was more)

** Is the expression "to get your leg over" used in US, Zild, and other languages?

Posted By: rodward Re: What's in a name - 05/10/01 06:38 AM
Omelet, prince of Denmark

Changing tack, I saw "Hamlet the Panto" by the OddSocks Players last Christmas. Absolutely hilarious. If you ever get the chance to see anything by them, it will be well worthwhile. As are (in my humble opinion) the Reduced Shakespeare Company productions, including the Complete Works of Shakespeare (abridged) in 3 hours. Again, give them a try.

Rod

I had the chance to see this at Pic. Circus a few weeks ago. The actors were witty but I kind of missed the 'Shakespeare' part of the show. At points we drifted so far from the concept it really didn't make a difference what the show was meant to be about. Nevertheless it was a right laugh - definitely more 'panto style' than theatre. I didn't make it to the Barbican ("London's Cultural Powerhouse" te-he), or rather, 'Henry' was going to be too intense for my foreign companion.

Posted By: wow Re: Niblick - 05/10/01 09:09 PM
Thanks for that link, Faldage! Great fun!
Now, does anyone know the number of the club in modern golf that corresponds to the niblick?
I learned niblick when I started to play in the '40s and I think it's a wedge but not sure.

Anyone golf?

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: What's in a name - 05/11/01 09:14 AM
Is the expression "to get your leg over" used in US, Zild, and other languages?

Yep.

Posted By: Bean Re: What's in a name - 05/11/01 11:03 AM
** Is the expression "to get your leg over" used in US, Zild, and other languages?

What does it mean? I've never heard it up here in the wilds of Canada! [off-to-hunt-some-moose-e]

(Actually, I've never been hunting, but I had to make that believable somehow! )

Posted By: rodward Re: What's in a name - 05/11/01 12:32 PM

What does it mean? I've never heard it up here in the wilds of Canada!

"to get your leg over" means to score, to have sex with. Typically used in a guys conversation, as in "Looked like you pulled last night Jim. Did you get your leg over?"

Rod

Posted By: Bean Re: What's in a name - 05/11/01 02:43 PM
Ewwww. I'm sorry I asked. Here I think you would hear "Did you get any?" or "Did you get some?" However, since I'm not a guy, I'm not totally sure. Chicks (at least the ones I am friends with) don't talk quite as...vulgar-ly?

Posted By: rodward Re: What's in a name - 05/14/01 09:14 AM
leg over easy....Chicks (at least the ones I am friends with) don't talk quite as...vulgar-ly?

but being a sensitive (or at least sensitised!) soul, at least I refrained from making puns about Oeufelia being a chick or a bird.

Rod

Posted By: Bean Chicks - 05/14/01 11:19 AM
[bad pun e]

Rod, that one slipped out. I usually refer to my girl-friends as chicks. That's connected in a way to the "Name your sex" thread. I dislike most of the readily available words for "persons of the female persuasion". There just isn't a female equivalent to "guys".

Posted By: rodward Re: Chicks - 05/14/01 11:43 AM
There just isn't a female equivalent to "guys".

That's a keeping my mouth firmly closed emoticon.

Not wishing to revive any done and dusteds and too lazy to find the proper post, I will just point out that this week's New Scientist http://www.newscientist.com has 3 articles on Gender, mainly on the Intersexed.

Rod

© Wordsmith.org