Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Quadrans Muralis - 12/29/11 03:10 PM
I've just finished reading this cool on-line article about the first meteor shower of 2012, which will be best seen around 2 a.m. on Jan. 4th., for us northern hemisphereans (did I just make up a word?). Had I taken a minute to think (she said in hindsight) I should have figured out the meaning of the name of this shower: the wall quadrant. ... Most meteor showers are named for the constellations in which their "radiants" are located. These are the points in the sky from which the meteors appear to streak. ... But after what constellation is the Quadrantid meteor shower named?

Strangely enough, it is named for a constellation which no longer exists, Quadrans Muralis, the wall quadrant. This was an instrument used by early astronomers to measure positions in the sky. If you've ever seen a picture of the famous Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe, you've probably seen his wall quadrant.

This constellation was named in 1795 by French astronomer Jérôme Lalande, who had a wall quadrant of his own which he decided to immortalize in the sky. Quadrans Muralis consisted of a faint group of stars between the top of Bootes and the handle of the Big Dipper, now completely forgotten except for its survival in the name of this meteor shower.

I'm afraid to copy any more of the article, and it's got ads so I can't put a link. But it can be found, at least by going to the home page of a very famous computer company. There is also a link to a sky map which will show the radiant origin.

AND...the writer even put chaise longue, not chaise lounge.
Posted By: Candy Re: Quadrans Muralis - 12/31/11 05:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

AND...the writer even put chaise longue, not chaise lounge.

Interesting post Jackie, thanks.

Maybe longue was just a type error!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Quadrans Muralis - 12/31/11 08:36 AM
uh uh.. chaise longue is French for long chair.
Posted By: Candy Re: Quadrans Muralis - 12/31/11 12:47 PM
Thanks for correction Ts...I never knew that...I always thought it was lounge!

as she has a a quick look at wiki.....
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Quadrans Muralis - 12/31/11 03:46 PM
well, color me pink and twist me in a pickle! learn something new every day....
© Wordsmith.org