Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jimthedogII Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 10:25 AM
The Marine excursion of the knights of Pythias is my favorite Stephen Leacock story. I was wondering if anyone else reads Leacock stories and which is your favorite?

-Scott
Posted By: paulb Re: Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 12:57 PM
Two of my favourite Leacock stories are "My financial career" and "The awful fate of Melpomenus Jones". Both of them were made into animated films by the National Film Board of Canada in the 1960s.

Posted By: Torchy Re: Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 02:04 PM
My favorite line from the Marine Excursion goes something like this: "... and the bank teller with a face like a horse, and his friend with a face like another horse..."

Posted By: jimthedog Re: Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 07:24 PM
Wasn't it his brother? I liked all of the Sunshine sketches.

jimthedog
Posted By: wwh Re: Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 07:32 PM
Glad to see Stephen Leacock is still being read if this is the same Canadian humorist I remember reading so many years ago. He wrote an essay telling about he and his room-mate with their heads still under the covers because it was very cold, commiserating with each other because "they had not slept a wink all night!" Only to discover when they threw off the covers that the ceiling had fallen during the night, and neither had known it.
A couple weeks later, I woke up feeling the same way, and found that there had been a fire in the room below me, the firemen had chopped down doors and smashed windows, with sirens screaming, all without my knowing it.

Posted By: Torchy Re: Favorite Stephen Leacock? - 05/01/01 10:48 PM
I looked it up...

"The two tellers of the Exchange Bank are both there standing side by side. But one of them -- the one with a cameo pin and the long face like a horse -- is going, and the other -- with the other cameo pin and a face like another horse -- is not. In the same way, Hussell of the Newspacket is going, but his brother, beside him, isn't. Lillian Drone is going, but her sister can't; and so on all through the crowd."

© Wordsmith.org