Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sldgman I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 01:35 PM
I thought the e-mail I received was supposed to be about words, not an opportunity for the writer to express her opinion on religion.
Posted By: Jnewton Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 02:20 PM
I AGREE!! This is the second time this has happened. The first time I ignored it, but not again. I enjoy this daily email and I really don't want to stop receiving it, but I am fairly offended by the "superman" comment. If they choose not to believe in God, so be it. But don't make fun of me just because I do.
Posted By: Jnewton Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 02:32 PM
Did you use the feedback link in the email? I did.
Posted By: Quim Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 02:51 PM
Ironic, isn't it, that we are quibbling about words? Perhaps you should not be so quick to take offense at the term "superman," as it does aptly describe someone in whose image and likeness many christians say they are made. It is far better to look at the positive side of what she said than to seek out ways to begin a long journey into anger, criticism, resentment and, ultimately, war, albeit with words. Peace.
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 03:52 PM
Yes, I think I will do that and find another e-mail listserve that is not so biased against religion.
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 03:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Quim
It is far better to look at the positive side of what she said than to seek out ways to begin a long journey into anger, criticism, resentment and, ultimately, war, albeit with words. Peace.

It is even better if Ann were not to START the journey by her rude and uncalled for sniping at religion. It is totally unnecessary and offensive.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 04:24 PM
just FYI, the man behind wordsmith.org is Anu Garg, not Ann.
Anu
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Sldgman
It is far better to look at the positive side of what she said than to seek out ways to begin a long journey into anger, criticism, resentment and, ultimately, war, albeit with words. Peace.

It is even better if Ann were not to START the journey by her rude and uncalled for sniping at religion. It is totally unnecessary and offensive.

I think you mean Anu, who is male.

this discussion has come up here before, as Anu has been open about his "religious" beliefs previously on AWAD, and I think the upshot is that it is his list to do with what he will, and we are all free to choose to stay or go.

we here on the forum, of course, hope you choose to stay to enjoy the dialogue around words.

one might ask if we know the politics and religion of the owners of all the stores and businesses we frequent in our lives, and do we make the choice to shop elsewhere?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 04:29 PM
t pipped me!
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 04:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu

I think you mean Anu, who is male.

this discussion has come up here before, as Anu has been open about his "religious" beliefs previously on AWAD, and I think the upshot is that it is his list to do with what he will, and we are all free to choose to stay or go.

we here on the forum, of course, hope you choose to stay to enjoy the dialogue around words.

one might ask if we know the politics and religion of the owners of all the stores and businesses we frequent in our lives, and do we make the choice to shop elsewhere?

Yes, he is free to say whatever he wants and I am also free to say what i want as long as the owner of this discussion board allows me to say it.

Most store and business owners do not make their politics and religion known because they do not want to offend and alienate their customers. My guess is that Anu does not care if he offends people who are religious.

If I went to a store that had posters that ridiculed my faith, I would not give that store my business in the future.
Posted By: BranShea Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 07:36 PM
Quote:
Most store and business owners do not make their politics and religion known because they do not want to offend and alienate their customers.

Many business owners value their business dearer than their religion.

Quote:
My guess is that Anu does not care if he offends people who are religious.

My guess is Anu does not want to offend anyone, but does not value his business dearer than his faith.

I have no religion but I have faith,
I do not worship but I am a believer.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/17/11 09:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Quote:
Most store and business owners do not make their politics and religion known because they do not want to offend and alienate their customers.

Many business owners value their business dearer than their religion.

Quote:
My guess is that Anu does not care if he offends people who are religious.

My guess is Anu does not want to offend anyone, but does not value his business dearer than his faith.

I have no religion but I have faith,
I do not worship but I am a believer.

well said.
Posted By: Candy Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 01:06 PM
It is about 'the words'.
But words express ideas...and Anu was just reflecting on his opinion, just like we can all state ours here or by emailing him. Its called Freedom of Speech. And thank God we are aloud that.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 01:18 PM
and some are louder than others.

:¬ )
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 04:34 PM
And there can be a huge difference between religion
and spirituality. Anu surely got a response on his
choices this week. Great going, Anu!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 06:05 PM
perhaps there was some planning behind the sequencing of this week's words?

I think coming up with weekly topics must get to be a chore (yes, I've tried it on occasion). sometimes Anu's choices seem a bit contrived, or obvious (e.g., words starting with ex-, or verbs); but at other times they are inspired.
Posted By: BranShea Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 08:24 PM
There certainly is a coherence between this week's words sofar.
And some are tempting. ( remonstrate )

We had our own private little civil war in 1617, which was between the Remonstrants and the Contra-remonstrants, two factions within the Reformed Church, while we were in a short period of armistice with the Spanish against whom we were fighting for political freedom. ( 80-year's war) This silly if not absurd civil war, which was over a theological trifle, cost the head of a truly wise and good old statesman. Religion and war often seem like sister and brother.
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
It is about 'the words'.
But words express ideas...and Anu was just reflecting on his opinion, just like we can all state ours here or by emailing him. Its called Freedom of Speech. And thank God we are aloud that.

When I signed up for the daily e-mail, I did not think I would be getting biased, anti-religion sniping in the deal. I think I will find some place else to learn about words.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 10:25 PM
I was told when I joined that there was a sort of
"agreement" to never discuss religion and politics.
Guess that has changed, at least this week.
Posted By: bexter Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 10:25 PM
I don't think he was being
anti-religion
he was merely giving his view point. I imagine people who do not believe in religion may get annoyed if he had gone to the other extreme...he was expressing his own personal opinion, you are free to judge that how you wish, he was not trying to force you to believe what he does.

I have strong beliefs about Science Fiction and how people have completely the wrong idea about what it is and how they refuse to accept that whatever they are watching/reading is, infact, SF. I vocalise these beliefs and some disagree with me, which is fine, but none of them never talk to me again because that is what I believe...they are entitled to their opinion and I to mine. Anu was not forcing his beliefs into your head, he was merely stating his beliefs as you have done here. That should be OK and as Voltaire said 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'

I believe that it is the topic itself which becomes offensive - if it were a statement about how the media blows things out of all proportion and so should not be believed but you thought the opposite, it is unlikely that you would take offense. You are allowed to believe what you like and obviously feel strongly about certain things, but think about how it would be if you wrote something in which you believed and others became offended and outraged at something you thought not offensive at all? To take such offense at another's beliefs is intolerant and in my (rather limited) experience, tolerant is something that people tend to enjoy being. You are entitled to be upset about things but that is no reason to abandon something so brilliant as AWAD. I am sure Anu did not write it to annoy or offend you but to explain his viewpoint with which you may or may not agree. Accept his view and accept that you both disagree...maybe an interesting discussion will follow, maybe it will never be mentioned again...

To end, another Voltaire quote 'I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write'
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 10:38 PM
touche, Bexter.
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 11:19 PM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Well, I guess Anu didn't get the message.
Posted By: Sldgman Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/19/11 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: bexter
I don't think he was being
anti-religion
I vocalise these beliefs and some disagree with me, which is fine, but none of them never talk to me again because that is what I believe...they are entitled to their opinion and I to mine. Anu was not forcing his beliefs into your head, he was merely stating his beliefs as you have done here. That should be OK and as Voltaire said 'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'

To take such offense at another's beliefs is intolerant and in my (rather limited) experience, tolerant is something that people tend to enjoy being. You are entitled to be upset about things but that is no reason to abandon something so brilliant as AWAD. I am sure Anu did not write it to annoy or offend you but to explain his viewpoint with which you may or may not agree.
To end, another Voltaire quote 'I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write'

I think Anu's comment would be perfectly acceptable in a forum. I am not trying to censor him. i am just asking that opinions be expressed in a more appropriate setting.

If I want to discuss religion or politics, I would go to a forum such as this. On the other hand, I thought the daily e-mail was a vehicle to learn about new words.

IMHO, Anu's comments were rather prejudiced since he makes a blanket statement about religions that believe in God. He may know about words, but not much about different religions.
Posted By: Faldage Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/20/11 01:00 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8

Well, I guess Anu didn't get the message.

Anu doesn't post here much and when he does it's generally about some technical matter involving the operations of the forum. As has been stated by several others, what he says in his emails is his business. On this forum we discourage talk about religion and politics. These two topics, in particular, seem to create more noise than signal so are best left alone. There are other forums where these topics are discussed and you're free to avoid them if you wish. You're free to avoid this forum, too, but if you choose to stay you can have a lot of fun discussing language.
Posted By: Jackie Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 01/20/11 03:21 AM
If I may add a note: Anu did not create a dry dictionary, but rather, personal messages. His Words a Day reflect his own choices (on whatever basis), and I for one have enjoyed the occasional personal insights he's given. Though I will say, this one surprised me.

And--the Words a Day are only slightly related to this board.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 02/08/11 10:01 PM
I was looking through the weekly 'feedback' issues today (I don't get them by email), and as far as I could see these concerns (such as they are) weren't addressed. at all.

I guess we should be thankful that some folks *are just drive-by posters. wink
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: I Thought This Was About Words - 02/09/11 04:05 PM
Yet some repetitive weekly posters in the weekly issue
are very fascinating people. It would be nice to have
them here, adding to the insights of all.
© Wordsmith.org