Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Engelsiz Claire Disablism? - 02/13/10 12:26 PM
Please explain the meaning of the thought for Feb 11th:
'We don't need to eat anyone who would run, swim, or fly away if he could. -James Cromwell, actor (b. 1940)'. Does this mean we should eat people with mobility challenges? I really would like to understand.

Rececntly another 'thought' about obesity was picked up on by one follower. I have a 5-page collection of quotes from AWordADay; this is certainly not a quote I will be saving.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Disablism? - 02/13/10 04:12 PM
this quote is often given at sites which are vegetarian or vegan or PETA related. does this help at all? (I think that Anu Garg is Vegan.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Disablism? - 02/13/10 05:17 PM
Yes, it isn't easy. Sometimes when I make the wrong move even my lentils run away.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Disablism? - 02/14/10 12:52 AM
When my daughter was highchair age, she frequently had escape-peas.

Welcome, Claire. No, I don't think his comment has anything to do with disabilities. Look what I found in an on-line bio for him: Celebrity sponsor of the Great American Meatout, March 20, 2001.

Was arrested for trespassing during an animal rights demonstration in Virginia, targeting the
name deleted 's fast food chain. He and four other PETA protesters refused to leave after urging patrons to boycott the restaurant. Cromwell was released on his own recognizance after about five hours. [3 July 2001]
Posted By: olly Re: Disablism? - 02/14/10 08:16 PM
We don't need to eat anyone who would run, swim, or fly away if he could. -James Cromwell

It could be an allusion to the survival of the fittest. Cull the weak?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Disablism? - 02/14/10 09:57 PM
it could be, but it wasn't. YCLIU.
Posted By: olly Re: Disablism? - 02/14/10 11:02 PM
YCLIU.
Thought that was Cymraeg there for a mo.

Praps Mr Cromwell was a vegan.
Posted By: Joanie 666 Re: Disablism? - 02/15/10 07:27 PM
People tend to eat what is most available, hence invasive species, and combed wild mushrooms. Personally, as I AM suddenly compelled to watch the news, I AM seriously in favor of legalizing the Opium Poppy, over introducing a different species to an already successful growing site. I can't seem to get the lovely flowers to set in myself.
© Wordsmith.org