Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie permanent paper - 02/01/10 03:05 AM
The edition of The Bridge of San Luis Rey that I checked out of the library mentioned on the title page that one of the printings had been done on "permanent paper".
Can someone tell me what this is, please?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: permanent paper - 02/01/10 03:27 AM
paper that has been classified for "Physical keeping of documents" link
Posted By: BranShea Re: permanent paper - 02/01/10 11:44 AM
Acid free is always an issue with watercolor papers.
Maybe printing requires a different composition than single sheets of paper. Never heard of this alkaline substance before.
Needs further exploration for the artist's sector. Interesting.

" Sometimes one comes across paper marketed as "acid-free". This must have been supposed both by some paper sellers and some publishers to be a mark of quality. But absence of acid in a paper does not guarantee any permanence, unless it is backed up by a deposit in the paper of an alkaline substance (usually calcium carbonate) to counter the influence of acids from the environment and acids produced during paper degradation.

Permanent paper and lignin

The reason for excluding lignin as a component of permanent paper is now again debated. The debate is part of an understandable trend, known from many technical fields, urging for a move from composition to performance requirements."
...etc.
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 02/02/10 02:10 AM
Thanks, but...does anyone else find the term 'permanent paper' an oxymoron?

On a different note: I saw the phrase I will not in this paper explain... on my computer screen. Do y'all think that eventually the term "writing a paper", etc., will become obsolete?
Posted By: BranShea Re: permanent paper - 02/02/10 11:30 AM
"oxy" is funny in this context. Permanent paper- contradictio in terminis?
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 02/02/10 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Thanks, but...does anyone else find the term 'permanent pap Do y'all think that eventually the term "writing a paper", etc., will become obsolete?

Sometime a little after people stop making films.
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 02/03/10 02:37 AM
And records?
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 02/03/10 11:42 AM
Ya know, record is a perfectly applicable term for any technology of storing information once you separate it from its literal meaning of 'by heart'. Album OTOH...
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 02:20 AM
Oh--I thought CDs were considered albums. "Record album" got shortened to "record", at least where I live. Though there certainly are many kinds of records, if we said, "I'm going to buy a record" it was understood that it was a circle of vinyl that plays usually music when put on a record player. Speaking of which--it occurred to me yesterday that it would be a nice thing to buy Mozart's Requiem on CD. (My cell phone rang during choir practice; I have it set to ring Dies Irae. Instrumental only, but.)
Posted By: latishya Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 03:55 AM
(My cell phone rang during choir practice; I have it set to ring Dies Irae.

did that invoke the said wrath?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 04:31 AM
I thought CDs were considered albums. "Record album" got shortened to "record", at least where I live.

CD is short for Compact Disc. Record is short for phonogramme record (UK) or phonograph record (USA).
Posted By: latishya Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I thought CDs were considered albums. "Record album" got shortened to "record", at least where I live.

CD is short for Compact Disc. Record is short for phonogramme record (UK) or phonograph record (USA).

some of my late grandfathers old 78s from HMV India say 'phonogram' interesting because Indian English spelling normally follows British even now. Discussing this with an axquaintance in Karachi who teached English for a living it seems this is another difference between two countries. On that side of border American spelling is preferred. I did wonder if that is at least partly BECAUSE India still leand toward British spelling.
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 11:08 AM
They became albums when a bunch of 78 rpm records were put together in a booklet in outer appearance much like a photo album. The 78s generally held one song per side. This wasn't sufficient capacity for a piece of classical music, say, Mozart's Requiem, so such a piece of music would have to be put on multiple disks which were stored together in an album. When the technology permitted the capacity of the recording disks to be increased to the point were a large piece of music could be put on one record the term album continued to refer to such a recording.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
When the technology permitted the capacity of the recording disks to be increased to the point were a large piece of music could be put on one record the term album continued to refer to such a recording.

or sometimes(still) called an LP.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: permanent paper - 02/05/10 04:42 PM
Thanks, but...does anyone else find the term 'permanent pap Do y'all think that eventually the term "writing a paper", etc., will become obsolete?

Sometime a little after people stop making films.

And dialing the phone...
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 02/06/10 02:31 AM
They became albums when a bunch of 78 rpm records were put together in a booklet in outer appearance much like a photo album. Gosh, I didn't know that! Thank you! I inherited some victrola records lo these many years ago, but even they were all separate.
Posted By: Avy Re: permanent paper - 02/06/10 06:10 AM
Which records ?
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 02/06/10 12:50 PM
I inherited some victrola records lo these many years ago, but even they were all separate.

Typically they were only collected in albums when they were a coherent work, Mozart's Requiem, for example. There would some number of records, n/2, with side 1 and side n on one disk, side 2 and side n-1 on the next and so on up to side n/2 and side (n/2)+1 on the last. These would be placed on the record changer with side 1 as the top side of the bottom record and played till they got to side n/2, at which point the entire stack would be flipped and the last half of the piece would be played. You could shuffle the stack and simulate the shuffle option now available on most CD players.
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 02/08/10 02:22 AM
Which records ? All I can remember were some Strauss waltzes; whatever my great-aunt and -uncle had bought. The sound was very scratchy and tinny; I enjoyed turning the crank handle.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: permanent paper - 02/12/10 11:54 PM
I have bunches of 78rpm and 33's as well. Love them, play them
frequently.
Posted By: Joanie 666 Re: permanent paper - 02/15/10 08:09 PM
Lordy, Old Music still makes the World go Round at an Even Keel!!! Thank God for an audience still awake with its Eyes closed!!!
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 07/25/10 02:13 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know that I finally got* Mozart's Requiem yesterday. I got the recording by the Wiener Philharmoniker (Germany). I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?

*I could have gotten it for about $10 including shipping from Amazon, and it was $15 at the record shop. But not only is the record shop locally owned and been in business for a long time, it is known for having a vast variety including recordings by local artists--several local bands have gotten publicity by playing live IN this shop--but it is in danger of having to close due to so many people just downloading music now. I strongly believe in supporting local businesses when I can.
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 07/25/10 11:29 AM
[quote=Jackie I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?
[/quote]

Yes, indeed. Should be done in any variety of choral Church Latin. Some differences you will see in German Church Latin from the more often heard Italianate are "ts" for C before E, I, and Y, rather than the Italianate "ch", the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" rather than the Italianate "ny" as in "caN You", and pronouncing initial S followed by a vowel as "z".
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: permanent paper - 07/25/10 12:46 PM
I can't tell, but would guess, that the soloists are German. In some places, singing Latin, they actually rrrroll their r's. Is that correct?

Yes, indeed. Should be done in any variety of choral Church Latin. Some differences you will see in German Church Latin from the more often heard Italianate are "ts" for C before E, I, and Y, rather than the Italianate "ch", the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" rather than the Italianate "ny" as in "caN You", and pronouncing initial S followed by a vowel as "z".

which can be a right pain when you sing the same work with different conductors...
Posted By: Faldage Re: permanent paper - 07/25/10 10:34 PM
Our director has been giving us even more specific pronunciation rules. We did the Mozart C Minor Mass with pronunciation that would have been used in that part of Germany at Mozart's time. When we did Orff's Carmina Burana recently we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation.
Posted By: Jackie Re: permanent paper - 07/26/10 02:33 AM
the pronunciation of GN as in "doG Nose" Well--I did not know to listen for this specifically, but I'm sure they sing og-noose Dei: I'd have noticed if they sang on-yoose. Thanks for the info.

with pronunciation that would have been used in that part of Germany at Mozart's time. When we did Orff's Carmina Burana recently we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. !!!

(Just checked--yep, og-noose.)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/26/10 01:30 PM
but I'm sure they sing og-noose Dei: I'd have noticed if they sang on-yoose.

Ognus Dei? Egg news day? Agnes and Doris Day?

we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation.

I'd love to read the monograph that established the 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. Quod would facere my diem.
Posted By: BranShea Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/26/10 03:24 PM
After a few Bavarian German eggnogs we all will speak it fluently.
Posted By: Faldage Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 12:31 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

I'd love to read the monograph that established the 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation. Quod would facere my diem.

He's got a book. I've got the title and author somewhere. I don't know if they have anything more than just a this-is-how-it-is, but it might be worth a check. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
Posted By: Jackie Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 02:03 AM
Ognus Dei? It's spelled Agnus Dei; I was attempting to put the pronunciation. 'Spose I could've put ahg.

Quod would facere my diem. That would make my day?
Posted By: Faldage Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 02:11 AM
Nuncle. The book is Singing Early Music, ed. Timothy J. McGee, published by Indiana University Press. It comes with a CD with sample texts.

It has all kinds of different pronunciation rules for all kinds of different languages and periods. Indiana University is big on early music so I would suspect it's well researched. They may not show the research directly but they may well have pointers to the research.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 12:54 PM
Quod would facere my diem. That would make my day?

That's what I was going for macaronically.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 12:57 PM
The book is Singing Early Music, ed. Timothy J. McGee, published by Indiana University Press.

It looks interesting. I'll keep a lookout for it used somewhere.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/27/10 02:25 PM
Our director has been giving us even more specific pronunciation rules. We did the Mozart C Minor Mass with pronunciation that would have been used in that part of Germany at Mozart's time. When we did Orff's Carmina Burana recently we did it with 13th century Bavarian German Latin pronunciation.

it all gets a bit silly, doesn't it? especially for a bunch of bar songs...
Posted By: Faldage Re: dona nobis poculum - 07/28/10 12:37 AM
The CB was kinda easier. We didn't have a whole bunch of words our lips and tongues were used to. The Mozart we had problems, particularly going from a five vowel system to a seven or eight (I forget which) vowel system.
Posted By: Bitbanger Re: permanent paper - 11/12/10 05:13 PM
I remember when "albums" were literally albums. The recording media of the day (78's) did not allow more than about 4 minutes per side, so a longer work had to be spread over several disks. For these longer works, the disks were packaged in an album, somewhat like a photo album. There were usually 8 to 15 disks in an album.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 albums. - 11/12/10 05:32 PM
Our family had many of these "albums", dozens of records.
And they were so heavy. Good old days.
© Wordsmith.org