Wordsmith.org
Posted By: eye-nrs word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 01:18 PM
can someone explain ''sic''? Any explanation I have read is simply not an explanation.

When read in a sentence, from whom does this word come? The writer of the sentence or the subject of the sentence

will someone please explain.....to this 60+ poet ??? milkmilkdud@aol.com
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 01:36 PM
Sic is used by a writer when she quotes another writer and notices that there is a spelling or grammatical error in the text quoted. The sic (Latin for thus) is placed after the error. It's mainly a way to say, "hey, I know he made a mistake, but I must quote him accurately (i.e., with the error intact).
Posted By: eye-nrs Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 01:42 PM
zmjezhd
Thank You Thank You Thank You!
That is a perfect explanation
now I understand after all these years.

I'm in southern Mississippi
where are you?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 02:32 PM
You're welcome. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. I once passed through Mississippi on a bus from New Orleans to Washington DC. I remember it being verdant.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 05:49 PM
I'd place "verdant" as a definite Type-2, I like it and encourage its use wherever applicable
Posted By: eye-nrs Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/23/09 08:12 PM
yes, it is now verdant once again, since Katrina swept everything out sea...........

But..... changing daily as progress continues

I have several friends in San Francisco/San Raphael........ working with animal rescue
Posted By: BranShea Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/24/09 10:19 AM
I thank you as well. Sic was a mystery I had not solved till now either. Or maybe I once knew, but forgot. The same sic as in "sic transit gloria mundi"? smile
Posted By: Faldage Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/24/09 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
The same sic as in "sic transit gloria mundi"? smile

And in sic semper tyrannis. The very one. Also the column Sic! Sic! Sic! in Verbatim.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/24/09 12:28 PM
Sic has some even more famous relatives. It is the Latin word behind Italian, Spanish, French si 'yes'. There was no Latin word for yes (or no). One answered a question with the verb in the affimative or the negative, or by using an adverb to indicate the speakers attitude towards the querstion: e.g., certe 'absolutely', fortasse 'perhaps'. In the Late Latin, folks started to use sic 'thus' and non 'not' to answer yes and no questions.

As for book title, the famous monk Peter Abelard (Heloise's tutor, then lover) wrote one called: Sic et non 'Yes and No'.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/24/09 05:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Also the column Sic! Sic! Sic! in Verbatim.

your link seems to have no such column. but determined (and contumacious) as I am wont to be, I eventually found a sample:

Sic! Sic! Sic!
Verbatim | January 01, 2003
Seen on a door in Chicago: "Motion, Inc. has moved. Please drop off all packages and mail to Suite 150, 1st floor." [You can't say they didn't warn you.]

well, that was anticlimactic..
Posted By: BranShea Re: word definition ''sic'' - 11/24/09 06:59 PM
The story of Abelard, who said "sic et non" is remembered in a poem by François Villon. Villon's poem is remembered in a song by George Brassens.

Ballade des dames du temps jadis:
link: the complete poem

Abelard and Heloïse:

"Où est la très sage Helloïs,
Pour qui fut chastré et puis moyne
Pierre Esbaillart à Saint-Denis?
Pour son amour ot cest essoyne.
Semblablement, où est la royne
Qui commanda que Buridan
Fust gecté en ung sac en Saine?
Mais où sont les neiges d'antan!
----------------