Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea words with extra flavor - 09/18/09 08:30 PM
One of my favorite English words is 'gingerly'.
( 1519, "elegantly, daintily," perhaps from O.Fr. gensor, comp. of gent "dainty, delicate," from L. gentius "(well)-born." Meaning "extremely cautiously" is from 1607.)

If translated, I think 'delicaat' would come closest in my language, but it's never quite the same. Though, as far as I know, it does not have any connection with 'ginger', fresh ginger has a flavor I would also call delicate.

I wonder are there any other words that have this double quality?
Posted By: Jackie Re: words with extra flavor - 09/19/09 03:57 AM
On a televised cooking competition I watched not too long ago, a judge told a contestant his personality was too vanilla.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
On a televised cooking competition I watched not too long ago, a judge told a contestant his personality was too vanilla.

I hate that vanilla gets no respect! I love vanilla; its smell, its taste, the beauty of its flower, its antioxidant properties, its culinary and olfactory brilliance... *sigh* It's the Rodney Dangerfield of flavors, and so taken for granted...
Posted By: Jackie Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 03:33 AM
Bacon your pardon, but celery you jest.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
[quote=Jackie]it's smell, it's taste, the beauty of it's flower, it's antioxidant properties, it's culinary and olfactory brilliance... *sigh* It's the Rodney Dangerfield of flavors, and so taken for granted...

silly asparagus! I mean apostrophes....

:¬ )
Posted By: twosleepy Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 06:30 PM
Oh man! You got me! That was written at the end of a long day, apparently too long! It's just that it's hard to be spot on about all the little details whilst battling fatigue. My bad! And worse yet, my vanilla got ignored and STILL gets no respect... ;0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 06:44 PM
:-)I always use my vanilla sparsely but I'm generous with sage rosemary and thyme.
Posted By: twosleepy allusions to Paul and Art... - 09/20/09 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
:-)I always use my vanilla sparsely but I'm generous with sage rosemary and thyme.

Are you sure English isn't your first language? That was cute and clever! :0)
Posted By: latishya Re: words with extra flavor - 09/20/09 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
[quote=Jackie] It's the Rodney Dangerfield of flavors,

having indo-fijian friends who seem to like drinking tea-flavoured vanilla i can definitely agree. like mr dangerfield a very little goes a very long way with vanilla.
Posted By: BranShea Re: allusions to Paul and Art... - 09/21/09 12:20 PM
A gift in return for a nice compliment. Vanilla fragrance for you. In the beginning it's a little overbearing, but keep it for a year (or two) and it'll be just well balanced. :~)

vanilla sachet
(no, honest, I like vanilla. In icecream and custards and such. But someone gave me this sachet and as an isolated flavor (fragrance) it is a bit overwhelming)
Posted By: wsieber Non olet - 09/23/09 01:13 PM
Money usually doesn't come with a mint flavour...
Posted By: BranShea Re:....... Non olet - 09/23/09 09:18 PM
By Vespasianus according to Gaius Suetonius Tranquillus.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Non olet - 09/24/09 01:21 AM
Mint made me think of what else I have growing out back, and I learned something. The name Basil means kingly; the plant name origin is ORIGIN from Greek basilikos ‘royal’. , and basilisk also: basilisk
/bazzilisk/

• noun 1 a mythical reptile with a lethal gaze or breath. 2 a long, slender Central American lizard, the male of which has a crest running from the head to the tail.

— ORIGIN Greek basiliskos ‘little king, serpent’.

From askOxford.com.

Em-can anybody tell me why the second one has two esses? (in the Greek word) This troubles me.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Non olet - 09/24/09 02:18 AM
you got two(2) distinct Gk words there, J.
basilikos - royal, kingly
and
basiliskos - princelet, chieftain; kind of serpent

that "second" s would seem to make it a diminutive(?)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Non olet - 09/24/09 11:08 AM
Basil certainly comes from basilikos. Otherwise it would be advisable to always pound it to a pesto. (reptile with a lethal gaze or breath; oof)
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Non olet - 09/24/09 04:26 PM
Harry Potter faces a basilisk with a letal gaze, Bran, or so they
say in the advertisements.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Non olet - 09/24/09 06:07 PM
Yeh, but I wouldn't like to face that gaze in my bowl of spaghetti.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Non olet - 09/25/09 01:03 AM
Thanks, tsuwm. I know nothing about Greek.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Non olet - 09/25/09 01:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Thanks, tsuwm. I know nothing about Greek.

well, it's all Greek to me.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Non olet - 09/26/09 12:43 AM
Come here a minute, M--I have something for you.
© Wordsmith.org