Wordsmith.org
Posted By: latishya Did I miss any? - 06/17/09 10:48 AM
this is not really about words but many here seem very clever so i thought i would ask for your help. i counted 11 squares in this picture:

did I miss any?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Did I miss any? - 06/17/09 12:18 PM
I get 11, too.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Did I miss any? - 06/17/09 08:08 PM
From your question I suppose there should be more? I see eleven too.
Posted By: latishya Re: Did I miss any? - 06/17/09 08:32 PM
thank you both.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Did I miss any? - 06/17/09 11:54 PM
It took a couple of tries, but I get eleven, too.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Did I miss any? - 06/18/09 02:46 AM
11 for me, too.
Posted By: latishya Re: Did I miss any? - 06/18/09 02:50 AM
thank you all. my math skill is not much better than my english and your confirmation is appreciated.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Did I miss any? - 06/19/09 03:58 PM
Hi lat, are you still blocking me

PS: I get only 10, which one am I missing
Posted By: Zed Re: Did I miss any? - 06/19/09 08:07 PM
that one there.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Did I miss any? - 06/19/09 09:33 PM
>which one am I missing

d'oh!

(there are five(5) small, five(5) medium, and one(1) large.)
Posted By: wofahulicodoc eleven it is - 06/20/09 12:28 AM
Indeed.

There are five 1-by-1 squares, five 2-by-2 squares, and one 3-by-3 square.

Watch out not to miscount six 2-by-2s by tagging the same one (made of four 1-by-1s) twice, counting both across and down.
Posted By: latishya Re: eleven it is - 06/20/09 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: wofahulicodoc
Indeed.

There are five 1-by-1 squares, five 2-by-2 squares, and one 3-by-3 square.

Watch out not to miscount six 2-by-2s by tagging the same one (made of four 1-by-1s) twice, counting both across and down.

it may be a coincidence and not relevant at all but I note that your username ends in doc and this post shows the sort of attention to detail i would like to see from a medical doctor.
Posted By: olly Re: Did I miss any? - 06/21/09 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
I get only 10, which one am I missing

The Fourth one whistle
Posted By: PastorVon Re: Did I miss any? - 06/21/09 11:21 PM
Somewhere back there in my math education, I think I remember some kind of rule about lines in relation to infinity. Isn't there one about libes not ending? If that is the case, I get 19.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Did I miss any? - 06/22/09 12:16 AM
Lines don't end (but libes, do; the one at Beloit College did back in the early '60s and it was replaced by a new one, but that's a whole nother story) but line segments do end. Those squares are all bounded by line segments. If you extend all those line segments to infinity you get 30 squares by my count.
Posted By: Jackie Re: eleven it is - 06/22/09 02:14 AM
attention to detail i would like to see from a medical doctor. He likes puzzles, too. smile
Posted By: Sparkle Re: Did I miss any? - 06/23/09 02:09 PM
I only see 7 squares. 4 in the middle, one covering the circumference of those 4, one in the top right corner, and one comprised of the middle squares, and top and right rectangles. All the rest are rectangles.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Did I miss any? - 06/23/09 04:40 PM
Spark: I think you probably dismiss a square if it contains other squares or rectangles. Undoubtedly there are 11 squares although I must share your concern because for some reason I count only 10

...while for obvious reasons I find it difficult to specify the one I can't find

Edited to admit sheepishly that I had missed the middle 2 x 2

.....the one Zed has described as "that one there"
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Did I miss any? - 06/23/09 06:21 PM
as dale says, Sparkle, you are discounting the the four long (empty) rectangles and the (two respective) juxtaposed small squares; there are four sets of these which comprise the four additional squares.
Posted By: Sparkle Re: Did I miss any? - 06/24/09 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Spark: I think you probably dismiss a square if it contains other squares or rectangles. Undoubtedly there are 11 squares although I must share your concern because for some reason I count only 10

...while for obvious reasons I find it difficult to specify the one I can't find

Edited to admit sheepishly that I had missed the middle 2 x 2

.....the one Zed has described as "that one there"

lol smile
Posted By: Jackie Re: Did I miss any? - 06/25/09 02:41 AM
(emphasis added) There are five 1-by-1 squares, five 2-by-2 squares, and one 3-by-3 square.

A small square in the corner of a big square still equals two squares. Four contiguous squares (touching left-right and top-bottom) equals five squares--their outer perimeter forms a square.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Did I miss any? - 06/26/09 02:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
(emphasis added) There are five 1-by-1 squares, five 2-by-2 squares, and one 3-by-3 square.

A small square in the corner of a big square still equals two squares. Four contiguous squares (touching left-right and top-bottom) equals five squares--their outer perimeter forms a square.

so are you agreeing or disagreeing, Jackie?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Did I miss any? - 06/27/09 01:19 AM
With what, Sweetheart? I already said I counted eleven squares. Five plus five plus one = eleven. I was hoping to provide some enlightenment, is all.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Did I miss any? - 06/27/09 01:36 AM
ah, it was the "still" in the first sentence that threw me.

nirvana!
Posted By: K_D Re: Did I miss any? - 06/30/09 08:30 AM
I get 12 squares in total !!!
Posted By: K_D Re: Did I miss any? - 06/30/09 08:32 AM
HaHa...got the catch...i counted the middle square, 2x2 twice....its 11 (Final)
Posted By: Jackie Re: Did I miss any? - 07/01/09 03:11 AM
Ooh, K-D, you're in S-pore! I'll have to tell Bingley, whom I dragged back here for a comment on Indonesian. He'll be glad to know he has such a close neighbor (Jakarta).
© Wordsmith.org