Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm from the bad news department(?) - 06/10/09 09:23 PM
it appears that the AHD4 is no longer available online via bartleby.com (and by extension, via OneLook.com).

I do hope that it's soon to be found via some other venue (and, I might add, not just via subscription).

edit: it's not just me link
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/10/09 10:02 PM
Maybe the millionth word broke its spine?
Posted By: Faldage Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/10/09 10:49 PM
Yahoo's got it. It works a little different but it's easier to browse than Bartleby was.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/10/09 10:57 PM
also, see the comments at languagehat regarding archives..
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/10/09 11:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Yahoo's got it. It works a little different but it's easier to browse than Bartleby was.

that's a lot of ads to ignore!

edit: and whilst I'm complaining, there don't seem to be any links (at Yahoo!) to the IE and Semitic roots sections.
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/11/09 02:42 AM
What about this, M?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/11/09 03:12 AM
all those links now give you the bartleby front page; i.e., nada.
(although, again, it's still available via the wayback machine
(everyone knows about the wayback machine, right?!))

link to wayback machine
Posted By: olly Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/11/09 08:19 AM
it's still available via the wayback machine

Wow, thats cool.

My first thought was. This might be a hack. Then I thought, hack what? Maybe Bartleby -.. --- -com
Posted By: Zed Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 01:31 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
all those links now give you the bartleby front page; i.e., nada.
(although, again, it's still available via the wayback machine
(everyone knows about the wayback machine, right?!))

link to wayback machine

wrong
the link takes me to bartleby but what is the wayback machine?
Posted By: olly Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 02:07 AM
Here is the Wayback Machine. This is what it does
I found some old webstuff of ours that I thought had gone forever.
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 02:09 AM
all those links now give you the bartleby front page; i.e., nada. Ok, something's weird here: I typed a word into the Search box (in my link), and among other things it gave me the beginning of the AHD listing; but when I clicked on it for the full def. it sent me to the nada page.
Thanks for your link, though; I've added it to my Favorites.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 02:33 AM
>wrong
>the link takes me to bartleby but what is the wayback machine?

you didn't notice the url, now did you? if you do take note of it you'll see that the bartleby address is preceded by that of the wayback machine [web.archive.org]. this is because the page you're seeing is actually an archive of the bartleby page captured by the w.m. back in March(?). the way I got it was by plugging the url from Jackie's page into the wayback machine (see olly's link), which gave me all kinds of archived results. I just clicked on the latest one, which is what you saw.

actually, it works much like Google (as to the archiving), but the w.m. saves multiple snapshots of each web page, allowing you to select to a specific timeframe. also, unlike Google, you get a clean look -- no ads or other extra stuff -- which makes it look just like the original!
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 02:40 AM
I found some old webstuff of ours that I thought had gone forever. That's cool, isn't it, olly? Bringing back memories, and all. smile
Posted By: Faldage Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 10:34 AM
Languagehat was bewailing this and blogged about it. He got some interesting comments. I haven't had a chance to check them out. See them here.

Edit: OK, so I didn't go to tsuwm's link. Mine's directly to the specific post so it'll work foralmostever
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/12/09 04:55 PM
>it'll work foralmostever

y'all should capture this url in your notebook; then in ten or 15 years you can plug it into the wayback machine and dredge up this thread!

-joe (set the WABAC machine to 2009, Sherman) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/13/09 01:46 PM
But, but---it couldn't find two old threads from right here that I plugged into it; possibly because they were from before the format changed the first time?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/14/09 04:29 AM
give me a quote and an address..
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 02:41 AM
secret thread link

I can't give you a quote, because I can't get to the thread! But it's to that weird thread that wandered off into the ether on its own, separated from the rest of the board, and a few of us posted there just for the heck of it.

Edit: Er--p'raps I'd better give you the actual address!
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=27091

Edit 2: I saved the link "way back" in '01.
Posted By: olly Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 03:26 AM
Is this it
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 04:03 AM
or maybe this?
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 05:33 AM
No, neither. But here's the address of what I have saved as "The Funniest Thread":
http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=words&Number=13723&Searchpage=1&Main=13026&Words=%26quot%3BMuseum+of+Questionable+Medical+Devices%26quot%3B&topic=&Search=true#Post13723

It doesn't seem like much now, I reckon (she said, going by memory); but since at the time, we had to wait, day by day, to see what transpired, it made it a lot more, well, interesting.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 06:02 AM
oh, that one is easy to find: link

but, what's it got to do with the 'secret thread'??
Posted By: tsuwm Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

fwiw: OneLook has reindexed the AHD to link to YAHOO! (complete with ads); e.g. URL [crossthreading]
Posted By: BranShea Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 06:43 PM
The Indo European Roots Index is gone for good? Pity, I only had it since a short while. Now I get the Bartleby skull page and whenever I get there I'm the 100.000th visitor. I've been the 100.000th visitor six times on four different days. Quite an achievement.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/15/09 08:13 PM
While it's quirky in its search functionality and sometimes slow, Starostin's Etymological databases (link) has Pokorny's IEW (Indogermanisches etymologisches Wörterbuch) digitized and searchable. I have the brick & mortar version, but I still sometimes use his site when away from the home library. Watkin's root dictionary (part of the AHD4) always give the page number of the IEW for corss-reference purposes. (It's also availabe as a small booklet separate from the dictionary. The IEW also covers PIE roots that have no English reflexes. Starostin also has other dictionaries online, like Vasmer's Slavic etymological dictionary.
Posted By: Jackie Re: from the bad news department(?) - 06/16/09 04:10 AM
oh, that one is easy to find: link Ok, how did you do that? You must have learned the technique in your secret workshop...and...I still "laughed and laughed all over again!"

but, what's it got to do with the 'secret thread'?? Nothing. Those were the two threads I could think of at the time that I'd like to see again, if Wayback could do the job.
© Wordsmith.org