Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tnt666 Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 04/14/09 05:30 PM
I read a lot, and am an average scrabble player. But lately I've noticed my ability to solve even the simplest anagrams on a page has been blown to smithereens!

If I can move the letters around, I'm okay, but if those letters are stuck on a page, I've become absolutely incapable, yet, in my youth I could do these.

HELP, my brain needs some anagram training methods!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 04/14/09 06:23 PM
Welcome t6n6t6. What other training would there be than just doing them? smile

"In my youth, " Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it and do it again." _ L.C.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 04/14/09 11:18 PM
I'm pretty good at anagrams but basically no good at Scrabble. Go figure.
Posted By: infiniti Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/11/09 06:11 PM
I found a great vocabulary site. Check it out www.vocabularybuilding.org It may help you
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/14/09 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Welcome t6n6t6. What other training would there be than just doing them? smile

"In my youth, " Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it and do it again." _ L.C.

laugh
Posted By: Zed Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/14/09 06:35 PM
If you play scrabble a lot you may have inadvertently trained your mind to anagram in a certain way, i.e. by physically moving the tiles. Start doing mental anagrams nd that skill will likely come back. As the local said when the tourist asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, man, practice."
Posted By: Jackie Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/15/09 02:01 AM
I'd recommend starting with easy ones: 4 or even 3 letters. Start with ear; then maybe tear. I like to try to work the newspaper Jumble puzzles in my head. I force myself to see all the circled letters in my mind--though eight is about my limit. Then I look at how the answer is broken down: is it five and three, four and four, etc., and then think of common words that fit one of them, and "see" if the rest make another word. If that fails I look at the cartoon. If that fails I usually quit fooling with it--I do it as a mental exercize, not to solve it by writing them down.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/16/09 03:35 PM
Dunno, I for one would rather have a loose mind than a tight one.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/21/09 06:36 PM
Picking up this here loose end, I've noticed that mind training by ways of anagrams and scrabble can have sorry side effects. Twisting and turning those syllables to me anyway results in turning syllables even when I don't want to. I'm glad seapea (wave hello) came in to contribute and save me from total mind detoriation.
Posted By: seapea Re: Anagrams, am I loosing my mind? - 06/22/09 07:21 AM
grin

Hi, BranShea!

*waving back*
© Wordsmith.org