Wordsmith.org
Posted By: David B New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/25/09 07:53 PM
My wife and I are expecting a baby this June (our first). She has remarked to me that lately her memory has been feeling like swiss cheese. This somehow affects me as well. The other day at work when I forgot to do something, I responded, "I'm sorry - as you know I'm getting a bit pregnile!" That got a good rise.

By the way, the noun form of this word would be "pregnility" Just thought some of you might enjoy this new portmanteau! grin

Feel free to share others here. I'd be curious to hear what else has been created.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/25/09 10:07 PM

Glad to hear of your pregnility. You all must be very proud.
Congratulations. Keep us posted. And welcome to the site.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 02:20 AM
Yes, congratulations, David! And welcome aBoard. For a minute I was hoping you were my friend David B in England, till I saw your info. My cousin lives where you do--tell him hello for me, will you? wink

Er--pregnant + senile, right?
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 03:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

I presume so, though pregnant + sterile is somewhat more interesting.
Posted By: Faldage Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

Thanks, Jackie. I was wondering.
Posted By: David B Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 12:46 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear! Yes, pregnant + senile was the idea, although pregnant + sterile would certainly be an interesting combination as well, perhaps for a highly conscious-clean pregnant person (and I'm sure that they exist, and probably with good reason!)

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone. smile
Posted By: David B Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 12:52 PM
Jackie,

How interesting that you have a cousin in Silver Spring! I saw that you are in Louisville Kentucky, and I actually have 2 cousins and an aunt and uncle living there! So please say hello to them for me as well. wink
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: David B
although pregnant + sterile would certainly be an interesting combination as well

nigh on impossible, no?

:¬ )

welcome!!
Posted By: Faldage Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/26/09 11:18 PM
Depends on what you mean by sterile. At best it would get you a kid that is prone to every disease in the book. Not to mention allergic to more things than that.
Posted By: Avyy Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/27/09 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
prone to every disease in the book.

Don't you mean immune to every disease in the book?
Posted By: BranShea Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/27/09 09:06 AM
I think, no I know Faldage is right.
Posted By: Faldage Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/27/09 10:11 AM
Brannie got it. By being protected against pathogens during the formative years, the baby would never develop the natural defenses against them.
Posted By: Avyy Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/27/09 11:43 AM
Oh yes. I forgot. You have to get infected to get immunity. Strange huh?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/27/09 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: David B
Jackie,

How interesting that you have a cousin in Silver Spring! I saw that you are in Louisville Kentucky, and I actually have 2 cousins and an aunt and uncle living there! So please say hello to them for me as well. wink

I lived in Silver Spring for a year, about 15 years ago, just off New Hampshire Ave. I'm sure it has
changed much.
Posted By: Faldage Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/28/09 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Avyy
Oh yes. I forgot. You have to get infected to get immunity. Strange huh?

It's not that so much as it is you have to exercise the immune system early or it won't develop properly.
Posted By: Avyy Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/28/09 02:03 AM
I would if i could laugh
Posted By: twosleepy Re: New Portmanteau! - Pregnile - 03/28/09 02:38 PM
It's funny, but I read an entirely different meaning! I was thinking "pregnile" could mean a woman who was infertile, but was artificially inseminated, something that happens quite often. :0)
© Wordsmith.org