Wordsmith.org
Hebrew has a wonderful word for another wife of a polygamist husband (See Samuel I, 1:6): "Tzara". What does it mean?
Trouble!
grin
smile Sarah or Christine or Hubertine, Maggie or Mable.
And it's tea for three.
Modern-day polygamist wives call each other "sister-wife."
Originally Posted By: Ira
Hebrew has a wonderful word for another wife of a polygamist husband (See Samuel I, 1:6): "Tzara". What does it mean?
Trouble!

Just looking at the KJV, I don't see anything in there that says that Hannah called called Peninnah Trouble.

Originally Posted By: 1 Samuel 1:6
And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.

This also seems to be a specific instance and not a general term.
adversary

It primarily means 'distress, trouble' and secondarily 'vexer, rival wife' (link). It seems only to be used in the secondary sense in the chapter and verse quoted. If you click through on the etymology links, it is the feminine form of tsar 'distress; foe, enemy' from TsRR 'to show hostility toward, vex'.
The word "adversary" in KJB is "Tzara"-trouble in Hebrew
I still don't see any evidence that it can be taken as a general term for another wife of one's husband. Certainly in the case where the relations between the wives are not entirely peaceful and where there is the additional complication of the one being unable to bear children I can see the term being used, but not in the general case. Certainly not if the women work well together. My understanding is that many in that situation today find it quite pleasant to have sister-wives.
Read all about it. Be respectful.

http://sisterwives.yuku.com/
What I want to know is, how come it's always a man with more than one wife, and never a woman with more than one husband?
and never a woman with more than one husband?

There is polyandry (link).
Polygamy : woman is game and
Polyandry : man is man. Hmm.
Technically, polygamy works both ways. Polygyny is specifically one husband, many wives. The deal is that men kill each off faster than women do, so, generally, there's more women than men in the nubility pool.
The breakdown: poly- 'many', -gamy 'marriage', -gyny 'woman', and -andry 'man'; others adelphogamy 'brothers sharing one wife', endogamy 'marriage inside tribe, clan', exogamy 'marriage outside tribe, clan', hierogamy 'marriage of a god and mortal' (aka hieros gamos).
Originally Posted By: Jackie
What I want to know is, how come it's always a man with more than one wife, and never a woman with more than one husband?

One male can fetilize many females of the same species. Look at your chicken coop. whistle
help me, Rhonda.

-ron o.
Polytechnically I believe in the monomahagony marriage and the fact that it takes place only once in a lifetime.
Originally Posted By: BranShea
monomahagony

Show us ze vay to ze next little boy.

Oh, don't ask vhy.
smile Oh show us the way to the next little dollar.
Oh, don't ask why.
monomahagony Wood you care to explain that single term, ma'am?

And tsuwm--I'll Rhonda you, sir!
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
adversary

It primarily means 'distress, trouble' and secondarily 'vexer, rival wife' (link). It seems only to be used in the secondary sense in the chapter and verse quoted. If you click through on the etymology links, it is the feminine form of tsar 'distress; foe, enemy' from TsRR 'to show hostility toward, vex'.

Ironic that Tsar also means a Russian ruler, (which comes from completely different etymology - Latin Caesar). The Tsars and Tsarinas certainly caused distress and trouble to many.
hierogamy 'marriage of a god and mortal' (aka hieros gamos.

I would have thought hierogamy would be a married priesthood.

Not never, just rarely.

Polyandry has been practised, and still is today in parts of south and south eastern Asia, amongst certain hill tribes.

But would you really want more than one husband?
I would have thought

Then you'd've thunk wrong (link).
monomahagony Wood smile you care to explain that single term, ma'am?
And tsuwm--I'll Rhonda you, sir!

The third line in the " Oh, don't ask why" matter is:

Oh show us the way to next whiskey bar,
Oh, don't ask why....

Here's is some musical context:Mahagony
musical context Oh, that's very strange. I was just doing a wordplay on mahogany.
Ah, twiggy thing, wordplay . Plywood?
I would have thought

Then you'd've thunk wrong (link).

Yes, I suppose that would be hiereuogamy or hiereogamy, however, in pagan religion the hierogamy of the god or goddess was consummated in ritual marriages by priests and priestesses, so I refuse to concede that I'm 100% wrong. grin
© Wordsmith.org