Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sparteye My theory - 04/03/01 03:35 PM
Today's AWAD quote:

Men of genius are often dull and inert in society, as a blazing meteor when it descends to earth, is only a stone. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, poet (1819-1892)

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Posted By: wwh Re: My theory - 04/03/01 03:42 PM
"Men of genius are often dull and inert in society, as a blazing meteor when it descends to earth, is only a stone."

That may be true of rocket scientists, but not certainly of
Voltaire, George Bernard Shaw, and a host of others.

Posted By: Hyla Re: My theory - 04/03/01 04:09 PM
But women of genius are known to shine in society, the heart of the meteor being a flawless diamond, as shown by the gems on this board.

[shameless-flattery-emoticon]

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: My theory - 04/03/01 04:11 PM
Oh Hyla, do go on... And tell us more about our eyes...

Posted By: inselpeter Re: My theory - 04/03/01 04:52 PM
<<That may be true of rocket scientists, but not certainly of Voltaire, George Bernard Shaw, and a host of others.>>

Or as someone once said Oscar Wilde once said, "Behind every great man is another."

Posted By: Sparteye Re: My theory - 04/03/01 05:33 PM
And then there's (I cannot remember identity of originator of ensuing quip):

"Behind every successful man is a surprised woman."

[Not that I agree emoticon]

Posted By: Anonymous Re: My theory - 04/03/01 05:41 PM
and then there's "Behind every surprised woman there is a..."

oh, nevermind

pmb~ the hull of the meteor being... a cement mixer? a diamond, indeed...
Posted By: wow Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/03/01 07:00 PM
In Smithsonian magazine there was a story on meteors and their value to the Smithsonian Institute and its scientists.
The article stated that there is a huge market for meteors and that many amateur meteor hunters were the bane of scientific inquiry and discovery.
There are some amateurs, of course, who cooperate but they are few and far between.
It seems that meteors are extremely valuable to the scientific community and also to those who love them because they are bits of stars ... pieces of the universe.
Apply that to women or not, as you will.
wow
(The High Priestess departs with a swirl of her cloak, leaving a shower of sparkling light in her wake)

Posted By: Jackie Re: My theory - 04/04/01 01:06 AM
But women of genius are known to shine in society, the heart of the meteor being a flawless diamond, as shown by the gems on this board.

Whoa, my dear Hyla--ask what you will, it shall be
granted unto thee...[hands clasped over heart e]

Posted By: wsieber Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/05/01 06:33 AM
It seems that meteors are extremely valuable ..because they are bits of stars ... pieces of the universe.
Apply that to women or not, as you will.

Elementary economic theory states that value is determined by rarity.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/05/01 07:00 AM
Elementary economic theory states that value is determined by rarity.

Well, not precisely. Value is determined by the amount of demand for the quantity available. Pure economic theory has it that value will be driven up by an excess of demand over supply. Therefore, anthrax-riddled sheep can be as rare as you like, but the value would still be zero (or negative) because the demand would be 0 (or negative).

In reality of course, scarcity is only one determinant of value.

Posted By: wsieber Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/05/01 07:39 AM
..anthrax-riddled sheep can be as rare as you like, but the value would still be zero

ok, point taken. I should have put "very much influenced" instead of "determined".
Now, if I were the leader of a "rogue nation", and knew that your sheep were the only remaining reservoir of anthrax...

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/05/01 07:46 AM
Now, if I were the leader of a "rogue nation", and knew that your sheep were the only remaining reservoir of anthrax...

By "rogue nation" do you mean "any member of the EU"? Anthrax is about the only disease that European or US media have not accused NZ sheep of having recently.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: My theory- meteors and such - 04/05/01 07:50 AM
Anthrax is about the only disease that European or US media have not accused NZ sheep of having recently.

Then let's just hope that no one working in Brussels reads this thread ...

© Wordsmith.org