Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 12:43 AM
Happy days are really here. My daughter invited my grand-daughter, husband, and son to come live with us, and they have been here several days now. The great-grandson is a little over six months now. I just how

I may live long enough that
he may remember me. I have a theory that you're never really dead so long as someone remembers you with love.
Thanks for your kind words, Love, Bill

My friend Bill Hunt wrote me this in 2002 - WWH as he was known here. It's his birthday today. I still remember him with love.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 02:22 AM
Aye, me too. HOW he doted on that little one, who returned the favor while he still lived there. Thanks, bel. I would love to be able to get his advice, now: my daughter married a Navy man.
Posted By: Zed Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 05:59 AM
That makes three so he is definitely still with us.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 12:38 PM
Happy Birthday, Bill.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 01:41 PM
The dear doctor was a friend I never met, but he was kind and wise and a good influence on me nonetheless. Thank you for helping me remember.

Happy Birthday Dr. Bill
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 05:30 PM
happy birthday, you old curmudgeon.

give 'em hell.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/26/08 06:08 PM
Happy birthday, Doc. I miss your anecdotes most of all.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/18/10 01:40 PM
Missed his bday this year. Happened to think of him this morning for no particular reason.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/18/10 01:57 PM
I miss him.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/19/10 03:20 AM
Me too. I'll be glad to my dying day that I sent him those shower shoes that he said eased his pain so dramatically. I also think that all of us here helped make his final years less lonely. I guess it was just as well that he never learned Braille. (I and others badgered him about it more than once.) But as it turned out, he didn't live all that long after his eyesight got too bad to use a computer.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/26/10 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Me too. I'll be glad to my dying day that I sent him those shower shoes that he said eased his pain so dramatically. I also think that all of us here helped make his final years less lonely. I guess it was just as well that he never learned Braille. (I and others badgered him about it more than once.) But as it turned out, he didn't live all that long after his eyesight got too bad to use a computer.

Beautiful tributes. Sure would like to know who you all are
speaking about.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/28/10 02:35 AM
Bill Hunt, on here as wwh, Luke. He died at age what--88 or so. (Someone who remembers for sure feel free to correct me.) He lived with a daughter who worked full-time; but even when she was there, communication was very limited: he was all but deaf. A lot of people here called him Dr. Bill. He'd been in the Navy and was a retied physician.
Posted By: Candy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/28/10 02:53 AM
Its nice that he had friends here then...and was able to communicate through his computer.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/28/10 03:14 AM
Bill Hunt, on here as wwh, Luke. He died at age what--88 or so. (Someone who remembers for sure feel free to correct me.) He lived with a daughter who worked full-time; but even when she was there, communication was very limited: he was all but deaf. A lot of people here called him Dr. Bill. He'd been in the Navy and was a retied physician.

Thanks, Jackie, it would have been nice to have known him. Beautiful tributes,
for sure.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/28/10 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Candy
Its nice that he had friends here then...and was able to communicate through his computer.

Which is a very wonderful advance in our world of communication.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 11/28/10 04:24 AM
I think most who were around here then would characterize Dr Bill as a lovable old curmudgeon.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/14/11 07:55 PM
One of my favorites of his stories involved his method of cleaning his baby's behind during a diaper change: he put the backside under a running faucet of warm water. I never asked him which sink he was using ...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/14/11 11:04 PM
That's novel, never heard that before. Don't want to know
which sink, however. Maybe bathtub.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/15/11 02:12 AM
Sparteye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin
Posted By: Faldage Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/15/11 01:35 PM
Sparteye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin

YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Avy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/16/11 02:44 AM
I have moved to a new place and am feeling totally out of sorts, but cannot resist popping in to say welcome back Sparteye.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/17/11 12:29 AM
Where'd you move to, Avy? Tell us all about it. Do they talk funny there? laugh
Posted By: Avy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/17/11 02:55 AM
I have moved to a village called Calangute in Goa. It is by the sea. I have hired a room and am trying to manage without a kitchen and with loss of space. Yes they do speak funny in the sense that the local language Konkani has sounds unlike other Indian languages. Goa was under the Portuguese rule till the 1960s. So the language has acquired a strange quasi European style of phonetics which sometimes sounds alien to the Indian ear. In India every time you shift states you need to learn a new language. This is my sixth language. At first I thought "enough!" I do not want to learn another but of course I have bought my books and have started learning and speaking. I find the strangeness of the language fun. Kitem? (Means "what?" You don't pronounce the ends of the words like in French. The "em" gives a nasal edge to the pronounciation "Kithay")
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Avy's move. - 01/17/11 03:42 PM
LOTS OF LUCK
That sounds like a lot of work, I don't know if I could
do it: new language every move. Is GOA, formerly Portuguese
enclave, now a state, coterminous to the colony status?
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/21/11 06:35 PM
Excellent, Avy. Onward to a new experience and new language you go.
Posted By: Avy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/22/11 01:18 AM
Luke, Goa was formerly a portuguese colony, then a union territory, and now a state. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa%2C_Daman_and_Diu?wasRedirected=true
Thanks Sparteye. I am trying so many crazy things at once. It is driving me a bit batty (if I wasn't already).
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Goa, et. al. - 01/22/11 01:58 AM
Wow, thanks for the info. I really enjoy geography, and
knew Goa was part of India, but Portuguese in the books
I studied as a kid. I really appreciate your taking the
time to post that, busy as your are. I am appreciative.
And remember: take time for yourself, a little bit.
Posted By: Avy Re: Goa, et. al. - 01/22/11 02:39 AM
Thanks Luke and sorry for the information overload. The truth is I did not understand your post and so did not know how to respond to it. I sort of thought that you knew, but then told you anyway. Sorry. smile.
Taking time off maybe to relax on the beach - I would like to but I am worried silly. I am venturing into things that my family has always looked down upon - business or selling stuff as they would call it (and, hold your breathe, ... cooking!!!), but sometimes youguddadowhatyouguddado. Hey a beautiful pattern in that!
Now I go back to my worrying. Thank yall for your support. I really appreciate it. I got good supportive friends in Goa too. It makes all the difference.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Goa, et. al. - 01/22/11 04:34 PM
No problem, that link was exactly what I was looking for.
You did not understand the post, but got it right on
the head. I just never understood the Portuguese
leaving Goa, and that answered it perfectly.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Dr. Bill Hunt - 01/19/12 05:10 PM
I let Bill's birthday pass without notice in 2011, but I came across this blog entry that reminded me of him.

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/cases_blindness_have_plummeted-86259

Here's to all the future Dr. Bill Hunts whose lives might be made a little easier by these advances.
Posted By: gooofy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/19/12 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Avy
Kitem? (Means "what?" You don't pronounce the ends of the words like in French. The "em" gives a nasal edge to the pronounciation "Kithay")

Is Konkani regularly written in the Roman alphabet? Isn't it written कित्थें? The nasalization seems a lot like Hindi.
Posted By: Avy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/21/12 02:13 AM
Now you are getting into the Romi Konkani and Devanagri Konkani debate, Goof. It's political and it's religious. The Romi Konkani is used by the Christians and the Devanagri Konkani by the Hindus. Most of the Konkani literature ia published in Devanagri. This does not mean the Christians are not writers. Their work gets transliterated I guess I don't know. Further up the coast, the Konkani spoken by Mangloreans is written in the Kannada script. Three scripts to one language!!!! No wonder I can't find time to take off from learning the local languages for learning one SINGLE foreign language. I have NONE! It's always a trade off between want and need. I want to learn Latin, I might have to learn Portuguese.
I cannot read Devanagri on my phone, but I am sure it is as you have written it. Yes the nasalisation is like a few words in Hindi, but a lot more prevalent in Konkani. The language has a prominent cadence perhaps inspired by the ocean. A single sentence covers all eight/seven notes sometimes.
Posted By: gooofy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/21/12 05:30 PM
What languages do you speak, Avy?
Posted By: Avy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/23/12 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: gooofy
What languages do you speak, Avy?

A few. Currently learning Konkani. I want to learn Latin.
Posted By: gooofy Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/23/12 05:38 PM
Do you speak Malayalam? Malayalam is interesting because it apparently makes a distinction between alveolar and dental nasals, something that is very rare. So apparently the word for "first" (കന്നി kannī?) has an alveolar n, and പന്നി pannī "pig" has a dental n, although they are spelled with the same letter.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 01/23/12 06:46 PM
Hey Gooofy and Avy.
I am guilty too,as I posted here a year ago on unrelated topics.
But I received a PM telling me this was supposed to be
a memorial for a dead person - thread. Someone I never new, maybe
you did.

Most threads go all off tangent, as did this one a year ago, and
it finally got someone's ire up, who decided to PM me about it,
tho, as I said, my last post on this thread was a year ago.
We cannot be responsible for other person's "control" issues,
but since it was a memoriam for some long dead poster, perhaps
the language conversation could continue somewhere else.
Just a suggestion: I am not trying to control the site as this
person was to me, and obviously not to either of you.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/08/22 05:25 PM
Happy Birthday, once again, Bill.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Happy Birthday Bill - 09/12/22 08:26 PM
...a poignant but fond echoing (if belated) of these sentiments...I often felt his life and career and mine were parallel, if a half-generation apart
© Wordsmith.org