Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea Autumn - 09/22/08 10:20 AM

Any idea why we at Google Nederland are so spoiled with pretty autumn leaves for the 22th (isn't 21 the first day of autumn? )and the English Google is every-day-plain?

Or does my Google in English show a different head than your's?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 10:54 AM
We got the same. FWIW, it's the first full day of autumn (unless you're hanging by your feet from the bottom of the Earth with all your blood rushing to your head; causes all kinds of hallucinations - e.g., they think it's spring.)
Posted By: latishya Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 11:30 AM
A quick check of googles from the Southern Hemisphere, .com.au,.co.za,.co.nz, shows that nothing was done to commemorate their Spring.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 02:18 PM
That is gorgeous! I just love fall colors... Mine doesn't show it; just the plain logo :0/

Just checked using "google.com" instead of my browser window, and then I see it. Anyone know why?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 05:34 PM
either you you have a google account, or you have the default language changed.

or both.
Posted By: olly Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 10:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: latishya
A quick check of googles from the Southern Hemisphere, .com.au,.co.za,.co.nz, shows that nothing was done to commemorate their Spring.

Probably a time zone thing. Here is our upside down contribution.
My plum tree is flowering nicely.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 10:54 PM
You you were so very helpful.... ;0)
Posted By: The Pook Re: Autumn - 09/22/08 11:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
We got the same. FWIW, it's the first full day of autumn (unless you're hanging by your feet from the bottom of the Earth with all your blood rushing to your head; causes all kinds of hallucinations - e.g., they think it's spring.)

But they are nice hallucinations - Panoramio Photo .
[img]http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14326668[/img]
Posted By: Jackie Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 02:33 AM
Glory hallelujah, fall's here at last! In calendar only, as usual around here: we're having highs around 86ºF/30ºC all week. Argh. But still SO much better than the pitiable souls who are heading into spring and summer! Anybody down there willing to trade houses every six months? You could have summer all year and I could have wonderful winter all year!
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 02:40 AM
Jackie, you belong in Alaska.
Posted By: Zed Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 03:49 AM
Riding my bike to work last week I rode down aisles of trees with occasional scatterings of corral or a sudden scarlet branch flaunting itself amid the green. Summer is too static for me. I love to watch the changes in spring and fall.
fall has so many other wonderful things too, tumbling leaves, fuzzy sweaters and cozy quilts. Hot soup and toast when you come home after a rainy day. Canada geese forming great V's in the sky and the chance to wear my new wool jacket.
Sigh.
I like life.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 03:55 AM
you belong in Alaska Come there with me, my love! We'll bring Zed so she can enjoy it, and oh, I suppose Hubby ought to be there too...not that I wouldn't want him, you understand, but he's not fond of cold weather like I am.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 07:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
 Originally Posted By: Faldage

But they are nice hallucinations - Panoramio Photo .

The Pook That is such a very beautiful PHOTO! The world ....
hm.. just beautiful.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Autumn - 09/23/08 12:30 PM
Thanks Bran. Of course here wild daffodils are weeds. But the wattle and other native flowers are also out everywhere. Spring in Tasmania is beautiful. Still snow on the mountains too. Took the pooklings to play in it a week ago.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Autumn - 09/24/08 02:13 AM
Dorset's in Tasmania?? Can you 'splain the origin of the term Dorset eyes?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Autumn - 09/24/08 04:14 AM
Yeah, ain't it terrible how those English keep stealing our place names?

And no, I have never heard the term 'Dorset eyes' though perhaps it comes from the Dorset sheep?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Autumn - 09/24/08 11:25 AM
Nice pictures, lovely country and lovely children, father Pook!
Thanks for the free trip to Tasmania.
© Wordsmith.org