Wordsmith.org
Hi there! Sorry to bother you with my sherlockian musings, but it seems the author of today's quote "Poets are soldiers that liberate words from the steadfast possession of definition. -Eli Khamarov", doesn't seem to exist. After finding this Eli Khamarov, I wanted to read more on him. Wikipedia's page about him has been deleted, and Wikiquote says something like this: Not notable. Google has less than a thousand hits on the name, and there's no Wikipedia page for this person. Amazon has no trace of anyone by the name, or of a book called "America Explained!". After checking the WP deletion log for this person, it appears that the content is a copyvio of this site, which may be copyvio itself (notes of "Reprinted without permission" appear in several places on that site). Scooby, we have a mystery here.
Hello & welcome

Try this to start
Lycos-Khamarov
Got this one via Dutch page, very obscure entries , must be a fictional person.
various connections
I did not really check them all.

this today's quote: quote doubtful site. Back to work.
 Originally Posted By: Owlbow
Hello & welcome

Try this to start

my quote of your link makes four(4) links to the same page in this thread! (littleword's first link is one, littleword's second link has the second..)

-joe (don't break the chain) friday
 Originally Posted By: littleword
-Eli Khamarov", doesn't seem to exist. After finding this Eli Khamarov, I wanted to read more on him. Wikipedia's page about him has been deleted, and Wikiquote says something like this: Not notable.

Wow! I guess I don't exist. I don't have a Wikipedia page either.

I do get over 8,000 google hits
Thank you for your responses. I might have been a little hasty in my assumptions. Cambridge Films and IMDB have cleared up everything(found them through the Lycos link, thanks BranShea! The power of Google failed me.). I believe he'd find it funny, that not only me, but also others are questioning his existence. Maybe he'd say something like "I feel sorry for people who don't believe in things that aren't in databases."
You're welcome. I still hesistate. If it is a made up person it's very convincing and elaborately done.
Lieutenant Kiji.
 Originally Posted By: littleword
Cambridge Films and IMDB have cleared up everything

I'm not convinced by that. Searching for the two books mentioned on the Cambridge Films site (which aren't listed in the Library of Congress) only leads to quotes from the books, i.e. no one ever discusses the book or says they read it, it's all generally
"blah blah blah" - The Book by Author
EXCEPT for one site which has the same photograph and a little biographical info... it says (among other things) that he was born in 1948 and had a mis-spent youth in Israel. By my guesstimate, the person in the photo is at least 20 (though I suppose could be as young as 15). I am not claiming to be an expert judge of ages or period fashions and hairstyles, but if that is a picture of a circa-1965-1975 "mis-spent youth", I'll eat my hat.
I am not claiming to be an expert judge of ages or period fashions and hairstyles, but if that is a picture of a circa-1965-1975 "mis-spent youth", I'll eat my hat.

Yes, that was pretty much how I'd felt after coming across that site. My feeling is that Mr Jeffrey Gold invented him for his documentary, which in turn may be fictional, too. (Not on Netflix, not on Amazon.)

In the strange coinkydinky category. One of the people involved with the Khamarov documentary is John R Ciet, whose Facebook page has a link to his friend, Michael Carr, who showed up in another recent thread as the author of the "all kiods are gifted" quotation.
Again it seems I was too hasty. Your points seem valid. What I've recently discovered is that another Jeffrey Gold movie says, in its closing lines, "Perhaps Eli Khamarov captured it best when he wrote: A sacred privilege is flight.". Quite a quotation, you'll have to agree. Anyway, the truth is out there. So are dogs, cats and cows. Let's see if we can find any.
If you read the cambrigefilms page in light of what we've already discovered, it's pretty blatantly exaggerated if it's not completely false...
"Author and biographer John Robert Ciet" has no books on amazon.com, nor are there any books by any Ciet in the Library of Congress database ( http://www.loc.gov )
"the foremost social philosopher ... Eli Khamarov" - if this is the foremost social philosopher, the others must be amazingly "unfamous".
The bit about the coffee house frequented by the villagers/locals of Ogunquit (pop. 1226) bothers me but it's not impossible.
"Widely known and respected" - or not so widely
"considered by many the leading social theorist and apologist" - many? leading - again I feel sorry for the followers if this is the leader
"has injected his thoughts on society mainly through his books "Lives of the Cognoscenti" and "Surviving on Planet Reebok" and occasional articles in leading contemporary journals." Okay, we've already covered that the books are not listed in the Library of Congress which they should be if they'd been printed by even a university press, but how about these "leading contemporary journals"? Not one of them has an article index that's getting indexed by Google? Perhaps someone has access to something more specific to check this.
"has not endeared him to any side of the political mainstream" - yet none of these haters has bothered to vent their spleen on the Internet - again, this is not impossible but...
© Wordsmith.org