Wordsmith.org
Posted By: cara Lost in Translation - 08/15/08 09:45 PM
Hi Guys~

I was googling for a recipe for dorado today (got 88lbs of filet in the fridge - viva la mexico!), and stumbled across this, which for some reason I find irresistably funny.

I thought you folks might appreciate it... it's actually kinda fun to try to deconstruct various pieces of it.

Here's an excerpt:

"Mahi mahi is a enthusiastic all-around seek for meet most some preparation method you poverty to use. Poach it, clean it, fry it, heat it, frame it—it’s every good. Just be certain not to overcook it."

Frame it?!?!?

Cheers!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lost in Translation - 08/15/08 11:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: cara

Here's an excerpt:

"Mahi mahi is a enthusiastic all-around seek for meet most some preparation method you poverty to use. Poach it, clean it, fry it, heat it, frame it—it’s every good. Just be certain not to overcook it."

Frame it?!?!?

Cheers!

I'd say that 'frame it' is the least of the problems.
Posted By: morphememedley Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 04:28 AM
“Frame it?!?!?”

Who wouldn't frame a fish to get off the hook or out of the dragnet?
Posted By: Zed Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 06:58 AM

I could figure out part of it but I'm not familiar with some of these ingredients. Father Steve, do you keep embattled mustard on hand?

Ingredients
2 pounds mahi mahi fillets (skinless)
2 tablespoons embattled mustard
1/2 prize preparation oil
1/2 containerful salt
1 ail garlic, minced
1/2 prize icy chromatic humour concentrate
1 niche leaf
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 11:18 AM
Does anyone know what language this was "translated" from?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 11:43 AM
mahi mahi

Cooking! Yes. Very good free style recipe.
Though two table spoons embattled mustard seems much.
The niche leaf surely comes from a local herb growing in the niches of the Mexican coastal cliffs.
The humour thing..................?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 01:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea

The humour thing..................?

Are you saying you understand the recipe? What, pray tell, does "1/2 prize icy chromatic humour concentrate' mean?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 03:01 PM
I would guess embattled mustard must be mustard powder. The mustard seeds have had battle done to them with the mortar and pestle.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 08/16/08 03:48 PM
Ho,no. I didn't end with the question mark for nothing.
It must be the most mouth watering ingredient though as it comes early into the 'marinade'.

Unravel this and succes with your guests will be unequalled.

This one is great too:

5. Place belittle on crowning demolition of oven and cooking 5 or 6 transactions on apiece side. Fish module be primed when you crapper easily anomaly it with a fork.

Hmmm? (the only thing I lack is the dorados)
Bon appetite, cara! \:\)

Posted By: The Pook Re: Lost in Translation - 08/17/08 07:07 AM
It must be the most mouth watering ingredient though as it comes early into the 'marinade'.

In that case it would be Mono Sodium Glutamate.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Lost in Translation - 08/17/08 09:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
What, pray tell, does "1/2 prize icy chromatic humour concentrate' mean?

This one I get! "1/2 cup (prize) cold (icy) orange (chromatic) juice (humour) concentrate" The one that eludes me is "niche leaf" (although I suspect "bay" leaf, as it gets crumbled...)

Originally Posted By: the Pook
I would guess embattled mustard must be mustard powder. The mustard seeds have had battle done to them with the mortar and pestle.

I believe this one actually comes from "prepared" (as in "prepared mustard"). A quick check of the thesaurus includes it as a synonym for "embattled" and it fits. :0)

I suspect that this may be the result of some multiple translations. Perhaps it started out in English, got translated to Japanese, then back to English, without reference to the original. Just a theory...
Posted By: Zed Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 02:38 AM
the frozen juice I got but didn't connect orange and chromatic.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 02:53 AM
Just in that orange is also a color... :0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 06:32 AM
It's the funniest riddle I've ever seen. I think embattled could also be embotteled or bottled mustard and it yes must be the result of a multiple computer translation. Although computer translations can mess up a text in one single blow just as fatally.

Yes, Fald. bay leaf, that's good,(thinking of how computer translations "reason").
Posted By: latishya Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 08:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Just in that orange is also a color... :0)

So are lemon and lime. Also avocado and many more.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 10:23 AM
It looks to me like a translation out of Chinese. They've done some weird stuff. They don't seem to care if it's understandable to foreign devils. Check here for links to a number of Language Log posts on the subject. Warning: some LL posts not suitable for family fun.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 07:41 PM
Yes, Fald. bay leaf, that's good,(thinking of how computer translations "reason").

Ahem, that was my suggestion...

The thought flitted through my mind that someone might have deliberately mangled it up for a laugh. Stranger things have been done... :0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 08/18/08 09:07 PM
Sorry twosleepy. I was Lost in Quotation.
Posted By: morphememedley Re: Lost in Translation - 08/19/08 03:49 AM
I hesitate to hold forth on spices, not yet having figured out what exactly is done to rubbed sage.
Posted By: wsieber Re: Lost in Translation - 09/18/08 01:18 PM
someone might have deliberately mangled it up for a laugh - I don't think so. It's too chaotic to spring from a single human mind. I'd rather opt for a primitive computer translation, done by a person without a clue of English.
Posted By: Fauve Re: Lost in Translation - 09/18/08 03:43 PM
Yes, and reminds me of my favorite German idiom, which, when translated into English, is hysterical.

Es ist mir alles Wurst!

Translated literally means: It's all sausage to me!

Actually means: I couldn't care less!
Posted By: fit to be tied Re: Lost in Translation - 09/30/08 04:46 PM
Es ist mir alles Wurst! Sounds like a German vegetarian at a weenie roast.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Lost in Translation - 10/01/08 02:35 AM
Sounds like a German vegetarian at a weenie roast. So does your name! Welcome aBoard!
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Lost in Translation - 10/02/08 02:15 AM
how does "fit to be tied" sound like a German vegetarian at a weinie roast? To me, it sounds like a phys ed teacher at a bondage convention.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Lost in Translation - 10/02/08 02:36 AM
\:D
how does "fit to be tied" sound like a German vegetarian at a weinie roast? 'Cause he or she wouldn't be able to eat! 'Less they were soy weenies.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 10/03/08 08:08 PM
Had to look it up.

Weenie roast
1. a cookout where roasted frankfurters are the main course;
[syn: wiener roast, weenie roast]

Wiener Schnitzels synonym to Frankfurter sausages.... yes, very lost in translation.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Lost in Translation - 10/03/08 09:10 PM
Wiener Schnitzels synonym to Frankfurter sausages

Wienerschnitzel (Viennese cutlet) is a kind of breaded steak, and Wienerwürstchen (Viennese sausage, link) is a kind of sausage. In English you roast (braten) weenies (aka hot dogs) on a spit over an open fire.
Posted By: Zed Re: Lost in Translation - 10/04/08 08:44 AM
On a spit??? Oooh, how classy can you get?
we used peeled sharpened sticks, or for fancy occasions a straightened out wire hangar.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Lost in Translation - 10/04/08 03:03 PM
On a spit??? Oooh, how classy can you get?

Spit, skewer, pointy stick, maybe even a spindle, could all be used to skewer a hot dog or a marshmallow. I've heard tell of folks using forks over a gas burner to roast the latter treat. Hmm, kebab, satay, souvlaki, brouchette, sashlik, yakitori, hmm, etc. I do remember eating spaghetti bolagnese at a picnic with improvised chopsticks fashioned from twigs when the utensils person forgot the plastic sporks. Folks snickered, but soon switched over or forewent the pasta.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Lost in Translation - 10/04/08 09:02 PM
kebab, satay, souvlaki, brouchette, sashlik, yakitori Uhh--Arabic, India (no idea which language, or even if I guessed the right country), Greek, French, ???, and Japanese?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 10/04/08 09:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Wiener Schnitzels synonym to Frankfurter sausages

Wienerschnitzel (Viennese cutlet) is a kind of breaded steak, and Wienerwürstchen (Viennese sausage, link) is a kind of sausage. In English you roast (braten) weenies (aka hot dogs) on a spit over an open fire.

"In Österreich kann die Bezeichnung Wiener leicht zu Verwechslungen führen, da hier die Wiener eine Art Schnittwurst ist".

Gibt's mir doch alles dieses hier das gnaue Gefühl, dasz es sich hier um einer Art komplizierten Würstchenwechsel handelt. \:D
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Lost in Translation - 10/05/08 12:00 AM
kebab, satay, souvlaki, brouchette, sashlik, yakitori Uhh--Arabic, India (no idea which language, or even if I guessed the right country), Greek, French, ???, and Japanese?

Kebab is of Persian origin; Thai, Malay, Indonesian, or Javanese; Greek; French; Crimean Tartar (Turkic) via Russian; Japanese.

[Correct error of omission.]
Posted By: Faldage Re: Lost in Translation - 10/05/08 02:09 AM
Dja leave out brouchette?

Thanks, Nunc.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 10/05/08 08:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jackie

Skewer a kebab in Turkey, a satay (sateh) in Indonesia, a souvlaki in Greece,a brochette in France, a shaslik in the Balkan regions and yakitori in Japan; it's all 'spiesjes' to me.
Posted By: Fauve Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 04:42 AM
Wurst/ Schmurst!
Spiesjes/Schpiesjes! I'm hungry now. I feel like I'm at the multi-culti Oktober Fest!
Well, I'd like a little of everything.

Also makes me think of another German idiom that has to do with food or libation in this case.

Das ist mein Bier! or Das ist nicht dein Bier!
That's my business/ That's none of your buisiness

By the way, is it an American expression to say "It's not my dog" when we mean it's not my responsibility? Or did we Americans just make that up like it's all sausage to me?
I'd give anything for one of those white German sausages right now. HUMMMMMM.
Guten appetite all!
Posted By: Myridon Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 03:24 PM
Dja leave out brouchette?

Thanks, Nunc.

Now if it were only spelled it right - "en brochette"
Posted By: Myridon Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 03:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: Fauve
By the way, is it an American expression to say "It's not my dog" when we mean it's not my responsibility? Or did we Americans just make that up like it's all sausage to me?

Neither as far as I know. BranShea (whom said it is all sausage) is from the Netherlands.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 04:02 PM
 Quote:
BranShea (whom said it is all sausage)
I never said that. This thread started with mahi mahi or dorados introduced by Cara, it was Fauve who introduced the sausage expression. I commented on shaslik or skewer expressions.
'It's not my dog' is not a Dutch expression, but I'm sure some dog owners (I'm not one of them) would not hesitate to say those words if their dog had been on to some mischief.

Quote:
Now if it were only spelled it right
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 06:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: Fauve
By the way, is it an American expression to say "It's not my dog" when we mean it's not my responsibility?

isn't that a Pink Panther quote?

"does your dog bite?"

"no, sir"

"ouch! that dog just bit me!"

"ah, but it is not my dog..."
Posted By: Jackie Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 08:50 PM
Aha, so we can blame the French?
Posted By: The Pook Re: Lost in Translation - 10/07/08 11:36 PM
No that was "does your derg bite?" (non-rhotic 'r' in derg)
Posted By: latishya Re: Lost in Translation - 10/08/08 12:45 AM
 Originally Posted By: The Pook
No that was "does your derg bite?" (non-rhotic 'r' in derg)

I've always thought it was more like 'doag' but since Clouseau's accent probably defies even IPA, here's the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 02:08 AM
Now if it were only spelled it right - "en brochette"

That's some whacky syntax ya gots there, Myr. And thanks for the correction (tho I cannot correct it now). I think I was mentally mooshing together the vowel of Italian bruschetta and the rest of French brochette.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Lost in Translation - 10/08/08 06:14 AM
It's definitely either dɘg or dəg.

To which the German hotel clerk replies that it's not his dok.

I'll leave it to someone else to work out the IPA transliteration of how they both pronounce 'room'!
Posted By: BranShea Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 04:02 PM
I think I was mentally mooshing together the vowel of Italian bruschetta and the rest of French brochette.

Och, brush off the crumbs and zimmer it, zmezjhd.
Posted By: Jackie Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 04:45 PM
I cannot correct it now Odd. I can.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 05:34 PM
Odd. I can.

You're teasing right? You are an admin on the site. You can edit everything, except your user number.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 05:47 PM
>I cannot correct it now

and I took this to mean that although you can correct your original, it has in the meanwhile been copied elsewhere and you can't correct the copy.

-ron o.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 07:14 PM
although you can correct your original

No, I meant that after a day or so of aging, I am not able to edit any of my posts. I thought this was a feature of the BBS software used here.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/08/08 07:49 PM
huh. I guess I've never tried to edit a post the next day.

-joe (at least with *this version) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/09/08 02:04 AM
You're teasing right? No. I just never know which things I'm allowed vs. what others are. And I don't even know where to look for my user number. If you want me to change your post, I will (she said, wondering if he was asking for proof.)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/09/08 12:27 PM
If you want me to change your post

No thanks. It's a part of the Great Google Word Hoard now.
Posted By: Jackie Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 02:14 AM
Hey, a new acronym (just what we needed...): GGWH.
Posted By: The Pook Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 04:47 AM

Let me be the first of this bunch of super-pedants to point out that strictly speaking that is an initialism rather than an acronym.
Posted By: Faldage Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 10:54 AM
super-pedants ... that is an initialism rather than an acronym.

What?! You can't pronounce ggwh?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 12:11 PM
super-pedants ... that is an initialism rather than an acronym.

What?! You can't pronounce ggwh?

I want to hear Jackie say it so I can count the syllables.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 01:14 PM
You can't pronounce ggwh?

/ĝə'ɠẅx/
Posted By: Jackie Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 09:57 PM
Come here, Pookie, and I might initial you, sir! ;-)
eta: something like goog oo uh.
Posted By: latishya Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 10:43 PM

Let me be the first of this bunch of super-pedants to point out that strictly speaking that is an initialism rather than an acronym.

im sure youre right although it looks like a perfectly respectable welsh word and looks like it would probably be at home as a central consonant cluster in Irish, where it would no doubt be pronounced "mary". i googled initialism and found a recent discussion at blog called languagehat.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/10/08 11:29 PM
an aside to those "in the know" (or not)..

that 'hat' link contains many comments from Stuart, who we knew as sjmaxq, and if you follow his link you get the Where Can I Look It Up? page.
Posted By: Faldage Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/11/08 12:53 AM

/ĝə'ɠẅx/

Sheesh!! The gg is just a geminated g. There's no sneaky little vowel in there to separate them. The rest of it Nunc's pretty much got right.
Posted By: The Pook Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/11/08 05:09 AM

/ĝə'ɠẅx/

I'm not Welsh, so... no.
Posted By: Faldage Re: circumflexual invidia - 10/11/08 01:00 PM
Maybe it's Greek, Γγωη, and would be pronounced ngoe (X-SAMPA /Noi/)
© Wordsmith.org