Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/18/08 02:16 PM
Several possibilities come to mind.

Tolerant.
Foolish.
Anxious.
Broke.

Guess it depends on why.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/18/08 02:18 PM
A "live-in son-in-law" is the best I can do. I don't believe there is one word that covers that specific case in English. A derogatory term would be "mooch", but that is a general term that applies to anyone who takes freely from others without intending to repay or otherwise compensate the giver. It has only negative connotations, whereas the phrase I made up for you is neutral, to my ear anyway. Maybe someone else will have a better idea for you! :0)
Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 02:00 AM
Sorry for my earlier flippant answer. Seriously, can you tell us what culturally this signifies? Is it someone who is doing something he should, like honouring his wife's family or providing for them, etc, or someone doing what he should NOT, like relying on them for his upkeep and income? If it is the latter, then the words "freeloader" or "sponger" come to mind. But without knowing the cultural context of the practice it is hard to say.
Posted By: Hydra Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 05:28 AM
Googling the phrase leads you to this thread, the synopsis of a Tamil movie, and this word: içgüvey.

But it's Turkish.

Quote:
The Turkish word for bride or daughter-in-law, gelin, literally means, "she who comes." The reverse situation rarely occurs. A man who lives with his in-laws—an içgüvey, i.e. an "inside" bridgegroom or son-in-law—is looked upon as rather pathetic.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 11:29 AM
In some societies this is the norm. They are referred to as matrilocal. The Navajo Indians in the US Southwest are an example. I know about three words in Navajo, none of them the word in question, but I suspect it would translate as husband or son-in-law depending on your point of view. I wouldn't bet that we have a word in English.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 12:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
I wouldn't bet that we have a word in English.

but we have a phrase, or phrases that will do. Zmjezhd has written often(delightfully) about our apparent need for a single, Grand-Unified Word for every concept that we come up with.

In the End was the Word...
Posted By: BranShea Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 01:31 PM
Oh!How familiar. \:D
When I'm too lazy to copy the ZM name I always got it wrong.
And always tempted to let it be, I end up doing the correction.

Quote:
bridgegroom

We really do have them. There's so many bridges in all those canals that have be to opened for the higher types of boats, that each bridge has a watcher, sitting there all day, married to the bridge.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 04:40 PM
>Zmjezhd has written often.. decided I should really spell zmjezhd's name correctly!

this brings up a question, which has no doubt been asked here before (but the answer seems not to have been memorous (or momentous)): what is the preferred style when starting a sentence with 'zmjezhd' (or 'tsuwm' for that matter)? zmjezhd would be my preference, but that's obvious, isn't it?!

-l. ron. o.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 05:37 PM
Reverse dictionary suggests "arboreal," perhaps because you would climb a tree to get away

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=living+with+inlaws
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What's the good word - 06/19/08 06:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: tsuwm
>Zmjezhd has written often.. decided I should really spell zmjezhd's name correctly!

this brings up a question, which has no doubt been asked here before (but the answer seems not to have been memorous (or momentous)): what is the preferred style when starting a sentence with 'zmjezhd' (or 'tsuwm' for that matter)? zmjezhd would be my preference, but that's obvious, isn't it?!

-l. ron. o.

hmm, wasn't even that aware of the capital, perhaps it was subconscious respect.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/20/08 10:55 AM
Why a name that starts with a lower case letter should be any different than any other word that starts with a lower case letter when beginning a sentence is beyond me. Perhaps one of the proponents of such a scheme could explain to me why it should be different.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What's the good word - 06/20/08 12:29 PM
Why a name that starts with a lower case letter should be any different than any other word that starts with a lower case letter when beginning a sentence is beyond me. Perhaps one of the proponents of such a scheme could explain to me why it should be different.

good point.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What's the good word - 06/20/08 02:18 PM

good point.

yup. though I rarely start a sentence with a capital, so who knows...
Posted By: Myridon Re: What's the good word - 06/20/08 04:57 PM
1) Because proper nouns already have an "override" of the capitalization rules in one direction, it makes sense that they could also override it in the opposite direction.

2) In some sense, your name is also your trademark, in which case it should always appear the way you prefer as is the case with trademarks. Ipods aren't popular. iPods are popular.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/20/08 10:25 PM
Maybe someone can find some respectable citations of iPod at the beginning of a sentence.
Posted By: Myridon Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 12:37 AM
I think I've just been called unrespectable... ;-P

How about Apple's press releases http://www.apple.com/pr/ Those have lots of sentence that begin with iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iLife, ...

There's also the matter of capitalizing the second letter which reinforces "trademarks don't follow the standard capitalization rule".
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 01:34 AM
I don't think trademarks have a rulebook at all!!! My favorite is eBay. Their name is "eBay Inc." Go to any of their web pages and check out their logo: Notice anything? Also,they do not capitalize the e at the beginning of sentences.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 02:25 AM
>Notice anything?

yeah; it looks to me as though the Y is capped. as in ebaY.

-joe (rulz? we don' need no steenkin' rulz!) friday
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 03:09 AM
Ya know, I never really noticed that! Just further proves my point... :0)
Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 11:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: etaoin

good point.

paris makes this sentence start with a capital.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 12:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: The Pook

good point.

Paris wasn't a capital; he was a Trojan.
Posted By: Myridon Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 10:59 PM
There are many companies whose logo and "text" trademark don't match. I have a friend who works for EMC - their logo is EMC(superscript)2 - but it is always called just E M C never E M C 2 or E M C squared.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What's the good word - 06/22/08 11:53 PM

good point.

Paris wasn't a capital; he was a Trojan.

she is?
Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 02:13 AM
I resisted saying that.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 09:57 AM
I resisted saying that.

And a good move, too. Just ask helen.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 12:27 PM
she is?

Okay, call me stupid if you must, but I just don't get this. Was there a question about Paris's gender? I read the Wiki article (very interesting; thanks Fal), but still come up flummoxed. Please elucidate! :0)

P.S. In checking for how Paris (the city) was named, it appears there is no connection to Paris (the Greek), but to a tribe of Gauls called Parisii. Couldn't find where that name came from, so if anyone knows, or can find it, I'd be interested!
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 12:31 PM
Yes, I think it's probably rife in the industry. We're also likely missing a piece that only the insiders have, such as the interaction between the company owners and the graphic designers, who may often win out, hence art triumphing over punctuation and other such silly conventions... :0)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 09:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
she is?

Okay, call me stupid if you must, but I just don't get this.

I was thinkin' Ms. Hilton... the most recently (in?)famousParis.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 10:14 PM
Ahhhhhh. My bad. I don't keep up with the obviously moronic scene. I'd rather waste my time with you guys.... ;0)
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/23/08 11:00 PM
I'd rather waste my time with you guys.... ;0)

We're so much pertier than that Paris.
Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 12:34 AM
P.S. In checking for how Paris (the city) was named, it appears there is no connection to Paris (the Greek), but to a tribe of Gauls called Parisii. Couldn't find where that name came from, so if anyone knows, or can find it, I'd be interested!

Yes that is true. From memory it was the Romans who record this name, but I can't quite recall whether it was their own name for themselves (ie a Gaulish word Latinized) or just the name the Romans gave them.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 01:35 AM
a Gaulish word Latinized

Probably. Also, as with some many other Celtic tribes, there was more than one tribe known as the Parisii, one in Gallia and the other in Britannia, in modern-day East Riding of Yorkshire. The usual etymology is that it is related to Old Irish cuirim 'I place, lay, put' + a suffix -isio. The German philologist and founder of modern Cletic language studies Johann Kaspar Zeuß glosses Parisii as 'efficaces, strenui' and 'Tatkräftigen, Tapferen' ('the vigorous, brave, doughty', link). He posited that it was from an earlier Quarisii, the change of qu to p being a common one in Celtic languages.
Posted By: The Pook Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 10:37 AM
Blinks. How did we get from an Indian man living with his in-laws to ancient Gauls living near Paris? Amazing.
Posted By: Faldage Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 10:59 AM
Blinks. How did we get from an Indian man living with his in-laws to ancient Gauls living near Paris? Amazing.

Par for the course around here. I challenge you to find a thread longer than about ten posts that hasn't veered drastically from its original point.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 02:37 PM
It's good dinner party conversation in slo-mo.
Posted By: Zed Re: What's the good word - 06/24/08 07:00 PM
Hey let's turn off the slo-mo, I'll meet you at 7:30 at Craving's Bistro. How many should I make the reservation for?
edited for a typo.
© Wordsmith.org