Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Myridon Restaurateur apostrophe's and trademark's - 03/07/08 06:27 PM
I went to eat at one of my favorite restaurants, Mariano's (inventor of the frozen margarita), and noticed they had a new menu item...

Camarones Carlo's 'n' Charlies (TM)

First, the logotype of the restaurant being copied is:

Carlos'n Charlie's

(which has its own problems), but who is this Carlo and how many Charlies are there? Did Carlo steal Carlos's Charlie?

Secondly, the dish they are copying from Carlos'n Charlie's is called "Grilled BBQ Shrimp" so they're not borrowing a trademark from CnC. They can't (I hope) be saying that they have a trademark on "Carlo's 'n' Charlies", and I don't think you can get a trademark that contains other trademarks (e.g. I can't trademark "Bacard'i 'n' Coca-cola"(TM)).

Should I let them know, or am I over-reacting? (again)
Ooooh... I see the start of a fun thread!

Meanwhile, see: http://www.flickr.com/groups/77173807@N00/
The only problems I see with Carlos'n Charlie's
is that I'd think it should be Carlos 'n' Charlie's. If Carlos and Charlie had each their own restaurant they would be Carlos's 'n' Charlie's Restaurants, but if they jointly own one restaurant then the apostrophes in the original are correct insofar as the possessives go. If you are using the other apostrophe to indicate the missing a in and[/], then there should be one for the missing [i]d, too.

As far as the examples given in the lovely AnnaS's link, I'm not so sure that the one in the pizzeria's name is wrong.
© Wordsmith.org