Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm Y. Serm Clacoxia - 02/24/08 10:59 PM
Douglas Hofstadter, in Metamagical Themas, writes:
"I have somewhat greater interest in the writings of the little-known American rhetorician, Y. Serm Clacoxia.." and goes on to quote him estensively from "The Illusions of Alacrity."

I've googled Clacoxia and can find nothing except another short quotation. This guy must be *extremely little-known. Anyone heard of him at all?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Y. Serm Clacoxia - 02/25/08 12:26 AM
Looks like an anagram to me. Have you tried googling "The Illusions of Alacrity"? Never know what you're going to get from Megathematic Salami.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Y. Serm Clacoxia - 02/25/08 01:13 AM
two hits for IoA: MT and this forum!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Calyx ac sermo - 02/25/08 01:26 AM
I agree with Faldo. Hofstadter is known for including puzzles in his books. My favorite is the alternate dimension book in Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, i.e., Egbert B. Gebstadter's Copper, Silver, Gold: An Indestructible Metallic Alloy, of which he writes:
Quote:
A fromidible hodge-podge, trugid and confused—yet remarkably similar to the present work. Professor Gebstadter's Shandean digressions include some excellent of indirect self-reference. Of particular interest is a reference in its self-annotated bibliography to an isomorphic, but imaginary, book.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Cameo Ax Lyrics - 02/25/08 01:35 AM
I suspect something of this nature, as ol' Y. Serm doesn't appear in the Bibliography. I wish I could paste the entire passage.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Cameo Ax Lyrics - 02/25/08 02:33 AM
Using Anu's I, Rearrangement Servant, I put in Y. Serm Clacoxia and got a l-o-n-g list of possibilities. Since the only clue here has to do with rhetoric, I'll say that Scarcely Axiom may be the appropriate one.

Jack (wild guesser) ie
Posted By: tsuwm Re: A Scary Lexicon - 02/25/08 02:36 AM
how about the above?

-joe e. wilde
Posted By: Jackie Re: A Scary Lexicon - 02/25/08 02:37 AM
Which?

EDIT: DUH--just noticed the title change! Good as any, I'd say. That one did make me smile.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Cameo Ax Lyrics - 02/25/08 02:54 AM
It is visible on Google Books (link).
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I nay lax soccer - 02/25/08 03:02 AM
"This is deliberate nonsense, of course, to be contrasted with the nondeliberate nonsense of, say, Dylan Thomas.."
© Wordsmith.org