Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm fourberie - 02/20/08 03:26 PM
speaking of shams, and weren't we just..

here, in its entire, is the def'n I have for fourberie:
fourberie
[F. < fourbe, a cheat, imposter] /FUR buh ree/
obs. trickery, deception
fraud: artifice, bamboozlement, bamboozling, blackmail, cheat, chicane, chicanery, con, craft, deceit, double-dealing, dupery, duping, duplicity, extortion, fake, fast one, fast shuffle, flimflam, fourberie, fraudulence, graft, guile, hanky-panky, hoax, hocus-pocus, hoodwinking, hustle, imposture, line, misrepresentation, racket, scam, sell, shakedown, sham, sharp practice, skunk, smoke, song, spuriousness, sting, string, swindle, swindling, treachery, trickery, vanilla - Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus (2006) [vanilla?]

at the back there, I have asked the pertinent question; to wit, what's vanilla got to do with it? if the answer is ron, I am fully prepared to fuller.

-joe (this could be a rehashed topic of the future) friday

(I probly should have posted this under Q&A, but I dint want to embarrass myself...)
Posted By: Maven Re: fourberie - 02/20/08 03:36 PM
Vanilla flavorings are more commonly used than true vanilla, based on cost. With few exceptions, most baked goods will taste the same either way, though I do think there's a difference in the resulting texture. I wouldn't use it to mean that, but possibly?
Posted By: BranShea Re: fourberie - 02/20/08 07:18 PM
Would it be worthwhile to learn all that green stuff by head and
keep it for a moment you'll be really mad at someone?
Posted By: Faldage Re: fourberie - 02/20/08 11:31 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
if the answer is ron, I am fully prepared to fuller.

Ron Fuller was my boss back when I worked for Hi-Speed Checkweigher.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 12:00 AM
Hi-Speed Checkweigher

What an interesting product and company name. (They're now known as Mettler Toledo.) Wikipedia ways [sic] anchor on the topic, (link).
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
if the answer is ron, I am fully prepared to fuller.

Ron Fuller was my boss back when I worked for Hi-Speed Checkweigher.

never even had a brush with him.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 12:09 AM
bang, bang. you guys are vanilla..

-joe (fudge) friday
Posted By: Faldage Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Hi-Speed Checkweigher

What an interesting product and company name. (They're now known as Mettler Toledo.) Wikipedia ways [sic] anchor on the topic, (link).

The overweight rejection option was not often exercised. The only times I knew of were for drugs and canned goods. Usually it was just reported how much overage there was; the line could be tweaked to get rid of that loss. Underweights could get you in big trouble with the Bureau of Weights and Measures.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 01:25 PM
OK, tsuwm, I googled it. Yes, I did. And I bet you did, too. There's a lot out there, including some stuff in Spanish and French which we could enlist our appropriately-phonic friends to translate.

Anna (I'm good, but not that good) Strophic
Posted By: tsuwm Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 03:02 PM
yes, well, "vanilla fraud" gets ~500 gh, all of them "plain vanilla fraud" from what I saw. but that hardly explains a thesaurus entry under fraud for vanilla. what a plain!

-joe (hmmph) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 03:15 PM
This is a stretch, but it just might be the origin of the word: vanilla
1662, from Sp. vainilla "vanilla plant," lit. "little pod," dim. of vaina "sheath," from L. vagina "sheath" (see vagina). So called from the shape of the pods. European discovery 1521 by Hernando Cortes' soldiers on reconnaissance in southeastern Mexico. Meaning "conventional, of ordinary sexual preferences" is 1970s, from notion of whiteness and the common choice of vanilla ice cream. Vanillin is from 1868.

the other OED
Posted By: tsuwm Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 03:32 PM
"stretch" "vagina"

Huh Huh Huh

-joe (Beavis) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: fourberie - 02/21/08 03:38 PM
GEEZ--that's not what I meant at all! I meant the all-too-often connection with a woman being considered a tease. ACK! (And quit that laughing!)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: fourberie - 02/22/08 05:20 PM
I email'd dictionary.com (parent site of thesaurus.com) asking for their explanation; but the contact procedure is so convoluted as to leave one little hope for a response.

as I initially feared, this has all the earmarks of a future rehashed topic...

-joe (job security, I guess) friday
© Wordsmith.org