Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed medicalese mistranslation - 02/16/08 05:53 AM
My Mom, brother and I recently sat down to review everything with the doctor before Mom's surgery and the doctor mentioned that one of her heart medications is prophylactic. Ken, an educated man but with no medical background, admitted to me afterwards that he said nothing at the time because I seemed satisfied but his first thought was "What are they going to be doing to my mother?!? She's 82, she can't get pregnant!"
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/16/08 01:50 PM
Interesting how words change. Prophylactic, adjectival form of prophylaxis 'prevention of a disease', a euphemism for a condom, back in the day when they could not be sold as a contraceptive, but as a method of preventing the spread of venereal disease (also a euphemism for sexually transmitted diseases (or STD). From Greek προφυλαξ (prophulaksis) 'advance guard' (cf. French avantgarde), from pro- + phulaks 'guard' (cf. phulassein 'to keep guard before a place / house; (med.) to take precaution against'); it is not in Pokorny IEW, and its origin is summarized by Chantraine as inexplicable and obscure. (But I'm sure that hasn't stopped any étymologistes manqués from connecting it to Sumerian, Basque, Etruscan, High Martian, and Proto-Lemurian.
Posted By: Jackie Re: medicalese mistranslation - 02/16/08 03:40 PM
Zed--ha; I'll bet your brother was wondering where exactly were they going to put that prophylactic! Quite understandable.

zmjezhd--have you written any dictionaries? Or contributed to any--if you don't mind saying, that is?
Posted By: BranShea Re: medicalese mistranslation - 02/16/08 04:40 PM
You see what can be the result of an overdose (no pun intended) of the usage of professional terms. If the doctor had given you the word preventive all would have been clear at once.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: medicalese mistranslation - 02/16/08 05:29 PM
have you written any dictionaries?

Not yet ... but there is always hope.
Posted By: Zed Re: medicalese mistranslation - 02/16/08 06:03 PM
Isn't there a wikipedic dictionary coming out soon?

Wikipedic On the wrong foot. From Ped backformed from the Greek Back Pedal meaning trying to get one's foot out of one's mouth and Wicked variously considered to be from Greek bad or from the Old English wickett meaning precariously balanced or badly cited see sticky wicket
Posted By: Faldage Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/16/08 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I'm sure that hasn't stopped any étymologistes manqués from connecting it to Sumerian, Basque, Etruscan, High Martian, and Proto-Lemurian.

You left out Edenic.
Posted By: Jackie Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/16/08 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You left out Edenic.

Oh, good grief!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/16/08 10:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Originally Posted By: Faldage

You left out Edenic.

Oh, good grief!

Quote:
The bulk of the research does not involve word pairs with fairly exact correspondence of sound and sense. The work is literally radical in that one has to first isolate the roots of the proposed twin words separated at birth since Babel. Edenic (Proto-Semitic or Ancient Hebrew roots plus non-Biblical roots recovered from other Semitic languages) demonstrates that language in its uncorrupted state is a natural science, much like physics or chemistry and created by the same Mind. Despite what we learned in school, language is NOT the result of the evolved grunting of cavemen who evolved from separate herds of apes. On the contrary, understood correctly, word roots are as perfect a value as are numbers. Just as there is a positive and negative number in math or matter and antimatter in physics, Edenic roots can also be charged with negative ions or carry the meaning of their antonyms. (Another proof of non-human engineering.) Let us quickly observe an example of Edenic's organic, modular 2-letter root system where sound-alike synonym and antonyms are observable.

hoo, boy!

grunt, grunt... babble, grunt...
Posted By: Faldage Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/16/08 11:28 PM
Somebody came gallavanting into Wordorigins with this lovely piece of nonsense some time ago. There was someone else about the same time with the notion that each letter had a base meaning and every word could be understood on the basis of its set of letters, but I don't remember what they called it.
Posted By: Zed Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/17/08 05:47 AM
Is this related to Kabalarian tenets?
typo corrected to possible spelling mistake
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: harmonic parthenogenesis - 02/17/08 07:44 AM
You left out Edenic.

I stand corrected.
© Wordsmith.org