Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Not same half revisited - 01/29/08 06:33 PM
In view of the upcoming primaries I felt compelled to bubble up this Letter to the Editor

Note to Admin: Yes, perhaps it's excessively political but thought our participants might find it amusing anyhow for what I claim is its colorful phrasing. If it doesn't meet Protocol feel free to delete it but appreciate if you could wait for a while because as I point out, in an excessively uptight and Politically Correct ambience there's a crucial need these days for a chuckle now and again

[Hi Times Ed.: Owing to its relevance I hope you can use the following, as the Op-Ed pages do tend toward the excessively grim. But if you can’t I’m hoping at least you get a chuckle out of it–regards–Dale Hileman]

Dear Sirs:

In view of upcoming presidential primaries I offer the following in the hope that it might provoke a little more forethought than last time. And while I love my country, in this day and age of Extreme Political Correctness I would hope not to be excoriated by the Right-leaning reader as grossly unpatriotic:

Beliefs of WMD’s in Iraq persists, AP Aug 7, 2006: “Did Saddam Hussein’s government have weapons of mass destruction in 2003? Half of America apparently thinks so, a new poll finds”

In a country where half the population also believed that Saddam was responsible for 9/11 while half were sure that the White House knew about the 9/11 attacks in advance and didn't do anything...

...most still believe in psychic healing and extrasensory perception, half of us think there’s a Devil and Hell while half believe in astrology, still another half believe in space men and UFO’s and more than half believe in ghosts...

...half of us believe the First Amendment “goes too far,” and bulk of us believe cancer is a disease that strikes at random and cannot be prevented...

...we learn just recently that “...55% of 1,000 adults surveyed said children should be taught creationism and intelligent design....” (Time, Aug. 15, 2006)

So it’s not hard to understand how Bush was elected by a bare plurality.

And no, for those readers who did vote for him, it’s not the same half every time

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Not same half revisited - 01/29/08 06:48 PM
combining two annoying traits in one post: bubbling a political post.

I'm wondering, dale: do you do this simultaneously here and there just to compare reactions?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Not same half revisited - 01/29/08 06:56 PM
You're very astute indeed
Posted By: Myridon Re: Not same half revisited - 01/29/08 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
... [Hi Times Ed.: ...

High Times. That explains a lot. ;-)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: never twice the same calor - 01/29/08 09:30 PM
You're very astute indeed

I guess that means your old saw about being on the edge of senility won't obtain now. Hmm. You are just a malicious crank.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: never twice the same calor - 01/29/08 10:53 PM
damn, dale, and here I've been defending you.

not nice.
Posted By: themilum Re: never twice the same calor - 01/30/08 01:37 AM
Originally Posted By: etaoin
damn, dale, and here I've been defending you.

not nice.

It is your fault, etaoin.
You are the one who has been nice to Dale.
Posted By: Maven Re: never twice the same calor - 01/30/08 03:22 PM
Wouldn't it be easier if it were the same half each time? When it comes time to build pograms, I'm sure we'll wish so!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: never twice the same calor - 01/30/08 03:44 PM
zm, so delete it. Your loss not mine
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: never just about the words - 01/30/08 04:00 PM
Pogrom has a nice etymology: from Russian погром (pogrom) 'outrage, havoc' from погромить (pogromit') 'to wreak havoc' < по- (po- > по po 'next to" cf. Greek απο- apo-, English up) + громить (gromit') 'to outrage, wreak havoc' (> гром (grom) 'thunder', cf. Greek χρομος (khromos) 'noise, sound' (but sadly not βρομος (bromos) '' and βροντη (brontē) 'thunder'), Old English gram 'angry, cruel, fierce, hostile', English grumble < PIE *ghrem- 'heavy sound, thunder, grumble').
Posted By: Faldage Re: never just about the words - 01/31/08 12:20 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
громить (gromit') 'to outrage, wreak havoc'

As in Wallace and?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: never just about the words - 01/31/08 05:36 AM
As in Wallace and?

I wondered, too, if perhaps the folks at Aardvark were just a bit bolshie. But I always assumed it was an alternate spelling for grommet 'metal eyelet'. Funny and irrational, but it's what my mind associates with the cheese-eater's pooch.
Posted By: Faldage Re: never just about the words - 01/31/08 10:52 AM
It's certainly pronounced as though it were just a variant spelling of 'grommet.' Which syllable has the stress in громить
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: never just about the words - 01/31/08 03:17 PM
Which syllable has the stress in громить

The final one.
Posted By: Faldage Re: never just about the words - 02/01/08 12:42 AM
Спасибо.
© Wordsmith.org