Wordsmith.org
Posted By: SRDavis Dictionary - 11/27/07 03:36 PM
I'm looking for a modern large library style printed dictionary to give as a gift. Recall the large printed well-bound dictionary in the public library? I am now looking and only find either desktop versions or software. Not what I want; neither is an antique dictionary. Any ideas on where to get one?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Dictionary - 11/27/07 03:56 PM
Your local independent bookstore. The American Heritage is my favorite.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Dictionary - 11/27/07 04:49 PM
I own the W3 (aka Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged). It's a good companion to the OED1 (aka the Oxford English Dictionary in microprint edition, alas) and Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Dictionary - 11/27/07 06:48 PM
Incline to agree with zm although the latter tended a bit too liberal for me about the late '50's
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Dictionary - 11/27/07 08:52 PM
although the latter tended a bit too liberal for me about the late '50's

The OED1 is the only one of the three books I suggested that was around in the 1950s. Is that what you meant? The W3 was first published in '63, IIRC. The third dictionary is from the '90s.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Dictionary - 11/27/07 10:08 PM
zm I was judging from New Collegiate. For all I know they have since tightned up but I doubt it
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Dictionary - 11/28/07 01:02 AM
New Collegiate

Not one of the dictionaries I mentioned, but a fine abridged dictionary.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Dictionary - 11/28/07 02:59 AM
I'm with Anna; but will add that you should call/visit a local bookstore, because I suspect they will have to order one for you.
Wow--wish I were on your gift list! This must be for a really special person. And good for you! :-)
© Wordsmith.org