Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie graduation - 04/09/00 12:06 AM
Anu, I added some facetious suggestions to Anna's question
about whether we could get promoted beyond being "strangers". Now, I see that jmh is a "newbie" (way to go, Jo!). What's the criteria, pretty please?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 04/09/00 07:18 PM
I just got "promoted" as well; I'd guess it is related to the number of posts one has made.

Be the first on your block to become a "geek"!

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 04/19/00 08:44 AM
Tsuwm was wondering if we reached new heights after 50 posts. I wonder.

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 04/28/00 06:10 AM
I wonder if 75 posts is a landmark.

(If nothing else it marks the arrival of a rather large phone bill).

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 05/04/00 02:34 PM
Well 75 didn't get me anywhere - what about 100?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 05/04/00 03:11 PM
member?! wotta letdown (I'm a "member" of aol! 8-)

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm/
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: graduation - 05/04/00 06:52 PM
Groucho: "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." :)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: members - 05/04/00 07:35 PM
"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Posted By: Philip Davis Re: graduation - 05/04/00 10:15 PM
Well at least it's not gender specific, although perhaps it is, at least in one sense of member.
Why this should make me consider the following is a question best not asked but anyway to proceed.

If the flexible elctromagnetic data disc is called a floppy why is the rigid equivalent not called a stiffy?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 05/04/00 11:54 PM
well, since it is still diminutive, you wouldn't want to confuse it with the larger and more efficacious "hard drive".

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: graduation - 05/05/00 12:05 AM
*glancing askance @ Philip & Michael* Men will be boys....

Posted By: Philip Davis Re: graduation - 05/05/00 11:24 AM
I'm sure I have no idea what Anna means! (insert universal irony symbol here.)

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/06/00 01:10 AM
Well, THIS discussion sure went downhill fast!
I am not saying another word, though the letters
"m-i-g-s" came to mind. Will respond private if
anyone asks.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: graduation - 05/06/00 10:38 AM
Journeyman Jackie,

As each of us reaches member status, I hope we'll continue to deserve "i.g.s." after our titles *wink*

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/06/00 01:02 PM
You got it, Dudette!

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 05/09/00 08:10 PM
I see AnnaStrophic has made it to "Voyager" - keep postin'

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: graduation - 05/10/00 12:29 PM
It was a struggle, Jo, but I'm happy to have reached cybernaut status. ;-)
(taking a moment to tut-tut at Philip...)

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/10/00 10:43 PM
Hey, Anna!
"cybernaut"--that's great! Maybe that will be the
next-level designation. Perhaps the final one--you know,(cyber)"space--the final frontier." Of course, some of us are nearer to being cybernuts...

Posted By: Philip Davis Re: graduation - 05/11/00 02:24 AM
If I tut tut at Anna tut tutting at me I too will make it to tripper. Ah the ironing!

Posted By: paulb Re: graduation - 05/15/00 11:40 AM
A shy 'hello' to other newbies from a new 'newbie' on the block. The first 25 are the hardest!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/16/00 01:22 PM
Paul,
If the first 25 are the hardest, that means that the rest
are all downhill, and BOY, have some of these gone
downhill!! (But it's so much FUN!)

Posted By: paulb Re: graduation - 05/17/00 12:25 PM
Agreed, Jackie! Reading and responding to posts, which I usually do in the late evenings (well, I'm a busy person, and get out a lot!), is one of the highlights of my day (or night?). There's a great feeling of companionship here which I value. And to have so much fun as well! Who could ask for anything more? [No suggestions, please.]

Posted By: tsuwm Re: it's all downhill from here - 05/17/00 04:44 PM
'downhill' borders on being another of those enantiodromic words; as you imply, "it's all downhill" could mean it's going to be easy or we've reached a high point and it's just going to get worse.

Posted By: Jackie Re: it's all downhill from here - 05/18/00 01:09 PM
Tsuwm,
I have not seen the word enantiodromic before, but I
gather from the context that you got my point exactly.
As I think I said elsewhere--you are sharp!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: enantiodromic - 05/18/00 02:54 PM
this word came up in the 'words that are their own antonyms' thread... aren't you taking notes Jackie? 8 )

Posted By: jmh Re: enantiodromic - 05/18/00 03:41 PM
Actually, I'm losing the plot - I spent ages looking for a previous posting but gave up. It's like looking through a needle in a haystack, or is that another thread?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: enantiodromic - 05/18/00 03:51 PM
yeah, Anu's "search the whole site" capability doesn't appear to extend to these forums.

http://members.aol.com/tsuwm
Posted By: jmh Re: finding things - 05/18/00 04:03 PM
Actually the search thingy at the top of the AWAD talk works fine, I just couldn't think of specific word to search on.

I wonder if anyone is listening, when the software comes up for review it would be useful to have an option to load threads, most recent first. I'm the kind of person who reads newspapers backwards and I wouldn't wish it on others but I find it takes quite a while to get to the last posting in the thread, particularly as many of us are so loquatious (or maybe just have a lot to say). If the thread pages came up in reverse order, that might save a little time (my computer has been a bit slow the last few days, normally it's quite zippy).

Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/21/00 07:12 AM

I’m very sad being only a stranger here. I know that my postings are scarce but I pray to the people in charge to be promoted at least to ‘bellboy’.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/21/00 05:36 PM
juanmaria--
you should hear bells ring when you hit your 25th post.

Jo--your pleonasm is showing!!And I thought you were
a nice girl!

Posted By: David108 Re: graduation - 05/21/00 06:24 PM
>>you should hear bells ring when you hit your 25th post.<<

winking at Jackie: I must have had the speakers turned off! :o)

I see I'm a "newbie" now; that's a relief - my family seems to think I'm very old!

Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/21/00 06:58 PM
Well, I think I'm six short of hearing them.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/21/00 07:12 PM
And I'll try to write more postings.

How can I be so low resorting to this dirty trick?

Juan Maria.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Juan Maria's graduation - 05/21/00 09:31 PM
Olá, Juan Maria. Please respond to my post. It's time you were no longer an estrangero. I can imagine how 'pregnant' * you feel. (This should get you close to 'newbie' status, shouldn't it??)

-----
*cf "false friends" discussion: embarazado = pregnant

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Juan Maria's graduation - 05/22/00 07:14 AM
Hi Anna,

Here I am writing my way to ‘newbie’. Really, being a stranger makes me feel so embarrassed that I can hardly button my trousers. Or are my pants?.
This thing about growing bellies has reminded me of a funny false friend which, of course, I’m going to write on a different post.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: juanmaria Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 07:36 AM
Everybody is invited to the party I'm going to throw next week-end to celebrate my promotion to 'newbie'.
Please, confirm assistance. Plane tickets not included.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: David108 Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 08:02 AM
From one recently-promoted newbie to another - congratulations juanmaria!

What's the next stage?

Where's the party?

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 11:19 AM
Thank you colleague!.
That’s only the beginning I wouldn’t stop until being CEO.
And the party will be in Malaga Spain. Summer came here a month ago so don’t forget your swimsuit!.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 11:35 AM
Man, you guys are insane! I can see I'll fit right in
at the party! I had planned to bring my canister of
laughing gas, but I see now I won't need it.
Keep posting, fellas--I love the entertainment!

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 05:56 PM
Your post comes pretty handy. I was looking for some girl who could give me a piece of advice because I haven't got the slightest idea of how a debutante 'newbie' must dress.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/22/00 06:24 PM
Dear Juanie Baby--
First--I ain't no girl, no mo'. But thanks!
Now--I could give you a piece of my mind, but I really can't spare any more and still be functional, so I'll offer
advice instead: debutantes usually wear long formal gowns,
quite often with lots of ruffles; high heels are a must,
though sandals (glitzy) are ok; and, don't forget to put
on eye makeup and style your hair up on top of your head.
Looking forward to seeing you,
Jackie

Posted By: David108 Re: Dress code - 05/22/00 07:06 PM
Jackie -
>>I really can't spare any more and still be functional<< - can't believe that! :o)

I'm looking forward to seeing juanmaria all dressed up! <grin>

Juanmaria - I'll be wearing my usual outfit - T-shirt and short pants (!) with sandals - please arrange appropriate weather!

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Big party at Juan Maria's - 05/23/00 07:24 PM
That ‘Juanie baby’ has really killed me!.
Things like that are hooking me on the Net. I think I’m going to ask for a sabbatical year after my broken leg hails.
You have really given me good news. A long gown -or nightgown?- suits me fine, I was scared to death by the prospect of hot wax on my hairy legs.
I haven’t got much use for hair stylists but I’ve just ordered a couple gallons of makeup for my scalp.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: juanmaria Re: Dress code - 05/23/00 07:26 PM
I’ve arranged showers for today and tomorrow but I guarantee you plenty of sun by the weekend.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: jmh Party - 05/23/00 07:51 PM
Just back from hols. I'll be there - I was thinking of wearing my anorack (essential for any real geek) but I'll settle on a nightgown (with sequins).

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Party - 05/24/00 03:20 PM
At first I thought about a formal ball but it appears we've got to have a Mardi-grass party!

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Rubrick Olé! - 05/24/00 03:32 PM
> At first I thought about a formal ball but it appears we've got to have a Mardi-grass party!

Make that a double celebration, JM! I just noticed I've ticked over to Newbie, too! Any preference for a bottle of whiskey? Jameson? Bushmills?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Olé! - 05/24/00 03:48 PM
>Make that a double celebration, JM! I just noticed I've ticked over to Newbie, too! Any preference for a bottle of
whiskey? Jameson? Bushmills?

Congratulations on your new status, Rubrick. Can you bring a barrel of Guinness to the Malaga party, as well? I'll bring the only decent inebriate produced in the U.S.: some good ol' Jack Daniels.

Slainte! ;-)

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Olé! - 05/24/00 04:00 PM
> Congratulations on your new status, Rubrick. Can you bring a barrel of Guinness to the Malaga party, as well? I'll bring
the only decent inebriate produced in the U.S.: some good ol' Jack Daniels.

Ah, Anna. 'tis a well known fact that Guinness doesn't travel (there's a pun for ya - and they say that no-one reads anyone's Bio!). Sure, I'll bring along the whiskey, as I said, and we can compare our tipples over a few words - strong words, softly spoken.

Slainte! ;-)

Agus Buíochas. Slán leat go maith.

Posted By: David108 Re: Olé! - 05/24/00 06:22 PM
>>Slainte! ;-)

Agus Buíochas. Slán leat go maith.<<

...and I thought this was an "English" forum! :o)

So for my contribution to this party, I propose to bring several bottles of New Zealand red wine, nectar of the gods of Aotearoa.

Haere Mai!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Olé! - 05/25/00 10:03 AM
> Agus Buíochas. Slán leat go maith.<<

...and I thought this was an "English" forum! :o)

I've news for you, David. We polyglots are taking over with a bloodless coup. The forum is dead. Long live the forum!

Posted By: emanuela Re: graduation - 05/26/00 12:46 PM
It'a a long way to... "newbie"... I am just in the middle of the way...
Can I suggest some special encouraging "graduation" for non- native speakers?
Ciao
Emanuela
P.S. If the weather in Spain is similar to the weather today in Italy, the Juanmaria's party will be wonderful!

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 05/26/00 01:02 PM
Its about quality Emmanuela, not quantity, do not fear your posts are always noticed. You get a gold star (from me, anyway)

Posted By: juanmaria Re: Olé! - 05/27/00 07:15 PM
I have had to spend a few busy days on the ‘virtual world ‘ of work, customers, home chores etc. But, fortunately, here I am again on the ‘real world’ -it sounds like ‘matrix’- with everything ready for such an occasion.
The sun shines, plenty of ‘tapas’ on the tables and a big barrel-o-words. You all were in charge of booze so don’t let me down.
I know that Spain is a little far away for some of the AWAD people and I’m trying to find an equidistant place for the next party. Anyone knows Jules Verne e-mail address?.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/27/00 07:59 PM
Emanuela.
I see your point. I started posting on this thread because I wanted seniority to be considered as a graduation parameter. But things went so fast that I went ‘newbie’ before writing that.
The problem being a foreigner is the time spent writing. I think I can read near as quickly as a native but I spend HOURS writing.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 05/27/00 09:32 PM
I've found a good place for a party now that Rubrick, Juan Maria and David108 have made it to be Travellers in Cyberspace - it's in Wales. I can't guarantee the weather but it's a good place for linguaphiles:
http://llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.co.uk

Can't imagine what the spellchecker will do with it!

PS I've just spell-checked it and it says "hub" - obviously the place for all of us then!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/27/00 11:39 PM
Jo, that one made me dizzy!
I did go there, and whirled away into the pronunciation,
which took about two minutes!
'Hub', indeed--more like an out-of-control children's
roundabout (if I got the term right) that will throw every
last one of us out into the ether!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/27/00 11:49 PM
Emanuela,

I would recommend that you stick to reading the shorter
posts, unless you really have a lot of time. I am
reminded of a piano piece that I tried to learn, knowing
that it was FAR beyond my capabilities--by the time I got
each successive chord (word, in your case) right, I had
completely lost track of how the line should sound.

And Jo is right--your posts are always read with interest, and you certainly get a gold star from me as well!

There is great service in providing others with unconscious reminders to be considerate, my Dear!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/27/00 11:52 PM
>>I spend HOURS writing.<<
Thank you for all your effort, Juanie Baby!
Your posts are always very thoughtful and/or funny!
Hope it will get easier with time.

Posted By: David108 Re: graduation - 05/28/00 08:39 AM
>>I spend HOURS writing<<

This is to both emanuela and juanmaria:

You both have my admiration! I would have to spend AEONS working on a post in either a Spanish or Italian forum! And since I know only two or three words in either language, and those would get me into trouble here and almost anywhere else on the 'Net, I won't even attempt it!

Keep up the excellent work.

Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/28/00 10:23 AM
> Keep up the excellent work. (David108)
>Your posts are always very thoughtful and/or funny! (Jackie)

Hey, you are making me blush. And I consider blushing incompatible with the demeanor and dignity expected from a ‘Journeyman’.
Although I used to love it when I was a stranger or a newbie, I’m not sure if this ‘Joanie Baby ‘ is still appropriate, maybe a Mister or Sir Joanie Baby would suit better with my new rank.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 05/28/00 10:26 AM
> I've found a good place for a party now that Rubrick, Juan Maria and David108 have made it to be Travellers in Cyberspace - it's in Wales. I can't guarantee the weather but it's a good place for linguaphiles:

I’ve needed a Valium injection to untwist my tongue but I really have had a pretty good time visiting this site. I move for a meeting there a year from now!.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Rubrick is that it? - 05/29/00 09:38 AM
I have noticed that the natural progression of graduation in this cyber-community is in the form - Stranger, Newbie, Journeyman, member, Enthusiast.

Nobody seems to have progressed beyond that stage (except for Chief Anu - but that must be a reserved title ;^)).

This leaves me with the question - is that it? Is there no rank higher? Will we never get to be scholars? Sherpas? Emeritus? Groundbreakers? Brainstormers? We enthuse but perhaps, with some, we are obsessive so shouldn't there be obsessed?

Anyone care to add their two cents/pence/centimes/pesetas etc. etc. and suggest appropriate milestone titles for the initiated?

Posted By: jmh Re: is that it? - 05/29/00 09:57 AM
I'll go with obsessed - could be time dependent - gained with how long it takes to reach certain milestones!

Posted By: juanmaria Re: is that it? - 05/29/00 10:30 AM
> Anyone care to add their two cents/pence/centimes/pesetas etc. etc. and suggest appropriate milestone titles for the initiated?

What about ‘Guru’, ‘Grand Master’, ‘Trailblazer’?.
Or ‘Geek’, ‘Hooked’, ‘Junkie’, ‘AWAD fiend’?.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 05/29/00 11:08 AM
>>Hey, you are making me blush. And I consider blushing incompatible with the demeanor and dignity expected from a ‘Journeyman’.
Although I used to love it when I was a stranger or a newbie, I’m not sure if this ‘Joanie Baby ‘ is still appropriate, maybe a Mister or Sir Joanie Baby would suit better with my new rank.

Juan Maria.<<<<<

Dear Sir Baby--

duly noted!

Jackie

Posted By: paulb Re: graduation - 06/06/00 11:58 AM
I notice that my apprenticeship is over and I am now a journeyman. I wonder if there's a collective noun for us journeying people? (perhaps a 'caravan' as in gypsies?) And I'm not sure whether the Tasmanian Sex Discrimination Commissioner (yes, we have one!) would approve the appellation.

Those of you unable to attend juanmaria's party in sunny Spain are welcome to come to wintry Hobart (there should be snow on the mountain soon) to celebrate. Anyone coming to the Sydney Olympics and staying on? The party starts when you get here. Oh, and bring a slab, won't you!

Cheers, paulb

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 06/06/00 04:40 PM
Yes a caravan of travellers sounds good. A party in Hobart sounds unmissable - I'll have to check out the price of air fares. Not sure about the snow though - we're still waiting for the Summer sunshine here!

Posted By: Rubrick Re: graduation - 06/06/00 04:45 PM
> Yes a caravan of travellers sounds good. A party in Hobart sounds unmissable - I'll have to check out the price of air
fares. Not sure about the snow though - we're still waiting for the Summer sunshine here!

Hmmmm...... An odyssey sounds very apt. An odyssey of journeymen. It rolls off the tongue well, don't you think? 'fraid I'll have to turn down the antipodean expedition, Paul. I'm heading off to sunny CUBA in two weeks time!!

Posted By: David108 Re: graduation - 06/06/00 05:57 PM
Congratulations on reaching elevated status, Paul! Next stage -> member!

As regards a collective noun, what about a mission of journeymen/women? (That's for the TSDC, bless its socks!)

>>Oh, and bring a slab, won't you!<< - what, chocolate or beer?

Sorry we won't be at the party - we'll be in Sydney for one night only, en route to Sunny South Africa for a family reunion.

Posted By: juanmaria Re: graduation - 06/07/00 08:20 PM
>I notice that my apprenticeship is over and I am now a journeyman

Congratulations!. Welcome to the “journeypersons” club!.

>Those of you unable to attend juanmaria's party in sunny Spain are welcome to come to wintry Hobart

I missed you at my party but you can count with me. And you had better fill your pantry. My friends say that they prefer buying me a suit than inviting me to a dinner.

>I'll have to check out the price of air fares.
Jo, I’ll go swimming and, if you want, I can wait for you in South Africa and get David there.

And now I’m going to email my friend Fidel to warn him about some rub/red disguised CIA agent.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: jmh Re: Cuba - 06/07/00 11:11 PM
I always think about Sister Sarah and Skye Masterson in Havana in "Guys and Dolls". It seems that the milk drinks are to be recommended, it sounds like a good place to go.

Posted By: wsieber Re: is that it? - 06/08/00 06:58 AM
What about "Pioneer", "Wordlord", or "Founding Father/Mother"?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: Cuba - 06/08/00 10:53 AM
> I always think about Sister Sarah and Skye Masterson in Havana in "Guys and Dolls". It seems that the milk drinks are
to be recommended, it sounds like a good place to go.

Okay. I'll lgive those a go, too. The sky's the limit.

Posted By: David108 Re: graduation - 06/08/00 06:51 PM
>>Jo, I’ll go swimming and, if you want, I can wait for you in South Africa and get David there.<<

I'll be in Hobart before you, jm - it's only a short swim from Auckland to Tasmania!

Keep the Foster's on ice, please, PaulB!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 06/09/00 01:57 PM
Dear paulb,
Yes, thank you, I'd love to come! (Would have responded sooner but quite often the last pages of this thread won't
display.) I LOVE winter! Will you put on your heavy
clothes and grill outdoors for us? I'll bring some biscuits. Please have some tapes of musicals ready to
entertain us. Perhaps the Burgess-translated one?

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 06/14/00 03:21 PM
As the first "newbie" I thought I'd drop and say "hello".

Looks like we'll be "enthusiasts" for a while then. What's the next landmark - 500??
Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 06/17/00 05:31 PM
Just graduated to enthusiast! At last! I've been keeping an eye on my numbers since the mid-160's!
The next level might well be 500, Jo. The differences so far have increased geometrically (sort of). I hope Anu
is getting a kick out of our enthusiasm for earning credits on his creation. Anu, if you're reading this, thank you once again for developing this Board!

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 07/17/00 10:51 PM
I was wondering what people would bring with them to the addicts ball (apart from their AWAD password of course).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 07/17/00 11:40 PM
I will bring (to the addict's ball) my autographed copy of "12 Steps for the Recovering Pharisee (Like Me)"...

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 07/18/00 03:03 AM
Oh, Jo!

How can I congratulate you on becoming an addict??
If juanmaria comes to the ball, he can dust off his
debutante gown.
I'm going to borrow a leaf from Anu and bring addictionary.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: is that it? - 07/25/00 12:52 PM
> Anyone care to add their two cents/pence/centimes/pesetas etc. etc. and suggest appropriate milestone titles for the initiated?

As much time as it takes, I suggest the next level should be "retired!"

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: graduation - 07/25/00 12:59 PM
>And now I’m going to email my friend Fidel

I have it on good authority that Peter Nero went to Cuba some years back to do a tour around the country, but refused to see Castro who became quite irate. The headline in Variety read "Fidel Burns while Nero Roams"

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 07/25/00 02:10 PM
>>The headline in Variety read "Fidel Burns while Nero Roams"<<

Oh, Ted! Did you make that up?? That is great!

That's almost as good as Rubrick's Mobile phones.

P.S.--Can't think of an alternative just now, but I hope the next title isn't "retired". That would sound like
we're ready to be put out to pasture (said the woman from
horse country), and I can say for certain sure that not a
single person on this Board is ready for that!
So, to that one!

Posted By: paulb Re: is that it? - 07/26/00 11:27 AM
<I suggest the next level should be "retired!">

Done that, Ted, what's next?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: is that it? - 07/26/00 12:25 PM
< <I suggest the next level should be "retired!"> >

< Done that, Ted, what's next? >

Hmmm. We could rotate the tires????

Posted By: Bingley Re: is that it? - 07/27/00 06:13 AM
which would give us tries, rites, tiers, and ultimately siter.

Bingley
Posted By: Jackie Re: is that it? - 07/27/00 11:17 AM
Oh, Bingley, you're funny!

I for one can't imagine much that could be stronger
than "addict", unless after that we are going to become
"slaves". And if we rotate that we get salves.

Posted By: paulb Re: is that it? - 07/27/00 11:24 AM
< And if we rotate that we get salves>

… and those lovely French 'valses' (1-2-3; 1-2-3; … )

Posted By: Jackie Re: is that it? - 07/27/00 11:37 AM
paulb--

My arms are pretty long, too--shall we dance? 1-2-3...

Posted By: paulb Re: is that it? - 07/28/00 12:00 PM
Jackie, you're leading again!

[With apologies to 'Some like it hot' -- but in no way equating you with 'Daphne'!]

Posted By: Jackie Re: is that it? - 07/28/00 12:15 PM
paulb--

Sorry, HoneyF! Ram (then) ewe, she said sheepishly?

Posted By: emanuela newbie!!! - 07/29/00 06:04 AM
Let me celebrate my "newbieness" with an Italian proverb:
Chi va piano va sano e va lontano = he, who goes slowly, goes safe and far.
I feel that my translation is terrible, but I cannot do better. The meaning is that you can do great things - even if slowly - by perseverance.
Emanuela

Posted By: paulb Re: is that it? - 07/29/00 11:27 AM
You're not pulling wool over my eyes are you, Jackie, or are you just a wolf[-ess] in sheep's clothing?

Ladies choice, I believe.

Posted By: Jackie Re: newbie!!! - 07/29/00 11:57 AM
Congratulations, NewbiEmanuela! :-)

I like that proverb, since I am a person who prefers
security over risk. I think you are very brave to have
come this far, since your earliest posts indicated that you
don't think you have a real good command of English. (Or
didn't at that time.)
That reminds me of Avy's determination to get through
Shakespeare.

It takes a lot more courage to persevere with something that is difficult than something that comes easily.
I admire you both.

Posted By: Jackie Re: is that it? - 07/29/00 12:01 PM
>>Jackie, or are you just a wolf[-ess] in sheep's clothing?<

Well, Dearest, there are times when the word for a female
canine fits me!

Posted By: Jackie the Final Frontier? - 08/01/00 07:24 PM
Well, I am now officially an addict.
Feels pretty good, I must say. Ahh-hh!

Posted By: jmh Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 05:52 AM
Jackie

I see that twusm's only ten paces behind you. Then we'll have to think of a name for a self-help group - Words Anonymous?

Posted By: Jackie Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 10:23 AM
Jo--

I LOVE IT !! Sign me up. But no crosswords allowed, eh?

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: is that it? - 08/02/00 12:40 PM
Perhaps the next level after Addict is Disciple?

Posted By: Rubrick Re: is that it? - 08/02/00 12:48 PM
> Perhaps the next level after Addict is Disciple?

Hmmm..... or incarceration.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 01:53 PM
>words anonymous?

this seems too obvious, but I'd suggest Logoholics Anomia
-ron

Posted By: Jackie Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 04:47 PM
I'd suggest Logoholics Anomia

Sign me up for that, too! And can I get some household help besides? I want to stick with the fun stuff!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 08:37 PM
I think I'll stop, cold turkey, before it becomes official....

Posted By: tsuwm Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 08:39 PM
...naaaaaah!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus this is sad - 08/02/00 08:57 PM
It's sad that the thread that has the most views and most replies has nothing to do with the subject of the board, but with getting to the next title.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: this is sad - 08/02/00 09:34 PM
oh, I agree.

keep it up, jazzo, you're almost to 50!

Posted By: Jackie Re: the Final Frontier? - 08/02/00 11:48 PM
I think I'll stop, cold turkey, before it becomes official....

Geeminy Christmas! Don't SCARE me like that !!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: this is sad - 08/03/00 12:41 PM
I'm not planning on stopping, Tsuwm, but gee, 50. . .compared to 400. You guys must either be filled with useful knowledge or you just don't know when to shut up.

Posted By: jmh Re: this is sad - 08/03/00 12:55 PM
For some of us, you are right, this is sad. I think in my case the latter is correct.

On the other hand ... I just had an idea ...

Posted By: juanmaria Re: newbie!!! - 08/04/00 11:33 AM
Congratulations Emanuella!
This saying is so popular that we use it as “Piano se va lontano” and everybody understands “piano” and “lontano” though not being Spanish words.
What could be the English version? “Slow and steady win the race” sounds familiar to me but I’m not sure if I’ve made out part of it.

Juan Maria.
Posted By: Jackie Re: newbie!!! - 08/04/00 01:33 PM
Juanie-baby, I see you've only got 6 more until you reach the century mark. Keep 'em coming, Kid!
I loved what you wrote in political correctness. Goes to show what a wonderful person you are.

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 08/22/00 11:47 AM
Well, if you all heard a big whoosh, that was I,
exhaling. Just crossed over to 501 posts (hurry back, Jo!)
and I'm still an addict.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: graduation - 08/22/00 09:07 PM
Jackie,
Maybe that young whippersnapper* Jazzoctopus's theory is right: you gotta wait till you post 800 to transcend to the next level. Man, graduation could become exponentially next-to-impossible after a while.

---
* etymology of "whippersnapper," anyone?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 08/22/00 10:22 PM
from the "Word Detective", fossicked in the usual manner:

"Whippersnapper" is a somewhat archaic term, rarely heard today outside of movies, and then usually from the mouth of a character portrayed as chronologically-challenged and hopelessly old-fashioned to boot. A "whippersnapper" is an impertinent young person, usually a young man, whose lack of proper respect for the older generation is matched only by his laziness and lack of motivation to better himself.

One might imagine that the term derives from the understandable temptation among more productive citizens to "snap a whip" at such sullen layabouts, but the whips in question actually belonged to the whippersnappers themselves. Such ne'er-do-wells were originally known as "whip snappers" in the 17th century, after their habit of standing around on street corners all day, idly snapping whips to pass the time. The term was been based on the already-existing phrase, "snipper-snapper," also meaning a worthless young man, but in any case, "whip snapper" became "whippersnapper" fairly rapidly.

Though "whippersnapper" originally referred to a young man with no visible ambition, the term has changed somewhat over the years, and today is more likely to be applied to a youngster with an excess of both ambition and impertinence.

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 08/23/00 12:27 AM
>>fossicked

Tsuwm, I didn't know you hail from Down Under.
Enjoyed the explanation, you old whippersnapper!

Gee--could there really be such a thing as an antique
whippersnapper ??

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: graduation - 08/23/00 09:20 PM
Maybe that young whippersnapper* Jazzoctopus's theory is right.

whippersnapper!?

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 08/24/00 12:49 AM
>>Maybe that young whippersnapper* Jazzoctopus's theory is right.

whippersnapper!?

...if the name fits...oh, that's another thread.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: graduation - 09/10/00 10:57 PM
Now now, we can't let this timeless, gargantuan thread sink into the recesses of extinction can we? Get back up to the top of the page!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: graduation - 09/11/00 07:22 AM
So is there someplace where all of this taxonomy of heirarchy is written down or is it all verbal lore?

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 09/11/00 07:39 AM
So is there someplace where all of this taxonomy of heirarchy is written down or is it all verbal lore?

Its a complete surprise to us as we travel down the path. I think it goes: Stranger(0); Newbie(50); Journeyman(!)(100); Member(200); Addict(400).

Jackie is on 599 at this precise moment so we wait with baited breath!

Footnote: ooops - ignore this mail see amendements in next two posts, I knew that there was something missing!
Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: graduation - 09/11/00 08:21 AM
Its a complete surprise to us as we travel down the path. I think it goes: Stranger(0); Newbie(50); Journeyman(!)(100); Member(200); Addict(400).

Actually, it's not quite that stiff. Newbie is 25, Journeyman 50, member 100. Going at that rate the next rank after addict should be at 800, then 1600!

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 09/11/00 11:10 AM
Jackie is on 599 at this precise moment

Ok, here's my 600th!
Father Steve, I love it--verbal lore for verbivores!

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: graduation - 09/11/00 08:36 PM

Actually, it's not quite that stiff. Newbie is 25, Journeyman 50, member 100. Going at that rate the next rank after addict should be at 800, then 1600!

No, see you guys, you left out Enthusiast. I've gone over this before. It's Stranger(0), Newbie(25), Journeyman(50), Member(100), Enthusiast(200), Addict(400), and yes, I would say that the next one will be 800.

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: graduation - 09/28/00 08:04 PM
I have dutifully resurrected this thread to humbly congratulate Jackie on her newfound title of "Old Hand".

Posted By: jmh Re: graduation - 09/28/00 08:15 PM
Congratulations Jackie

Will the next one be old foot?

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 09/29/00 12:59 AM
Thank you, folks! I must say I am VERY relieved not to be
an addict (in name, never mind the reality!) any more.
This does blow the geometric-progression theory out of the water, doesn't it? Not a problem for me--Anu can do whatever he takes it into his beloved little mind to do, in my book.

Jo, now that you're back, I hope you will zoom back to your rightful position! And, tsuwm, I'd be delighted if you'd post enough to get ahead of me.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 09/29/00 01:43 AM
>if you'd post enough to get ahead of me

it ain't gonna happen as long as you are AWAD's Minister Of Salutations

gee, if I could only come up with another S-word you could be the MOSS...

Posted By: jmh Re: addicts - 09/29/00 07:33 AM
I have to admit. I am more than a little concerned about my status as an addict. It starts to become a problem when one's AWAD life starts to "leak" into real life.

I had a very enjoyable evening wrecked by an argument about tidal waves, bores and those waves beginning with tsu (tsunami - I L'dIU). The difficulty is the person who is convinced that they are right. I really wanted to get out my laptop, and look it up for him. Alternatively, laptops do make effective but expensive projectiles.

I had dinner with some old friends recently. I hadn't seen them for years. The Spanish translation for a dish on the menu was "throat of tuna". You can imagine! I started to discuss what people think of when they hear the word throat - front, back etc. I was just mentioning the phrase "Pearls at her throat", I hadn't even got as far as Pearl the singer when a friend looked at me aghast and said "How did we get onto that subject!". Before I had chance to explain, another friend chimed in "don't worry, she does throw the weirdest things into conversation, we just leave her to get on with it for a while". I had no idea that I was being merely "tolerated"!

Is there a Betty Ford Clinic for logophiles? Or are we into the realms of logoleptia, logomachy or just logorrhea?

Posted By: wsieber Re: addicts - 09/29/00 08:44 AM
Hi Jo,
Very pertinent and wonderful! I try and delay the moment of my turning into an addict. Nothing more disheartening than to feel "tolerated".. Maybe the new DSM-IV classification will be logophagopathy.

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 09/29/00 10:38 AM
it ain't gonna happen as long as you are AWAD's Minister Of Salutations

gee, if I could only come up with another S-word you could be the MOSS...

Don't think I care to be walked all over, thank you!

'Sides, there is absolutely NOTHING preventing YOU
(or anyone) from offering salutations, now is there?
You could even do it retroactively.

Hmm--If I became the Big Old (both very appropriate for me) Salutations Supervisor, then I'd be the...

But I think that job is really yours.

Oh, I LOVE this place!!!

Posted By: maverick Re: graduation - 10/17/00 01:58 PM
it ain't gonna happen

Can I be the first to congratulate you on your newly-won status - I am sure it owes nothing to simple minds

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 10/17/00 03:21 PM
feh.

[and I don't care *what Enigma says!]

Posted By: Father Steve Re: graduation - 10/20/00 07:04 PM
It strikes me that 25 posts take a bloody long time to reach, which creates some sort of inhospitality, at least from the perspective of "The Stranger."

Posted By: xara Re: graduation - 10/20/00 09:10 PM
I know what you mean. It seems like I've posted and read enough not to be a 'stranger' anymore!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: graduation - 10/20/00 10:48 PM
I think Xara is two posts away from emerging from her chyrsalis and becoming a butterfly of sorts. Quick, kiddo, say two more things and see what happens.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:01 AM
imagine what you have to do to reach 700!? (well, posting inane messages like *this one helps.... ;)

Posted By: Jackie Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:14 AM
tsuwm, I notice you have been posting more lately, and
I'm glad.

Father Steve--you encouraged xara, but you're only one away
from graduating! Oh, man! Couldn't you think of just one more??

Posted By: tsuwm Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:30 AM
>tsuwm, I notice you have been posting more lately, and
I'm glad.

thank you; but if you respond to every one, how will I ever catch up?!

*<8O)

Posted By: xara Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:39 PM
Quick, kiddo, say two more things and see what happens.

one

Posted By: xara Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:40 PM
one

two

Posted By: xara Re: graduation - 10/21/00 02:43 PM
two

Hey look, it worked! Thanks for the tip Steve!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: graduation - 10/22/00 12:23 AM
There are many such secrets to be revealed in the Kingdom of Anu.

Posted By: xara Re: graduation - 10/22/00 01:50 PM
Congratulations on your own recently acquired newbie status!

Posted By: belMarduk Re: graduation - 10/22/00 06:41 PM
Congrats xara & Father Steve. Isn't it nice to be out of the <stranger> limbo. Believe it or not, you will be amazed at how the points (posts) rack up in the beginning. There are so many interesting threads to participate in.

Write on.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Diesel-powered Mac - 10/22/00 11:56 PM
Could someone with a 20th-century computer please start a Graduation2 thread starting with maybe the last half-dozen posts here (or whatever number the volunteer deems appropriate)? Took me five minutes to get here... and it'd take another five to do what I've just requested.

Thanks... *tossing pellets to the mice in the modem wheel*

© Wordsmith.org