Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Soul patch - 09/22/07 03:55 PM
A friend has lent me several Harlan Coben books (pretty good but not great, imho), and in some of them, characters are referred to as having or "sporting" a soul patch. For all I knew it was some kind of tattoo.
Today I finally tried looking it up online, to find that it is a kind of, well, patch, of facial hair. But I found different "definitions"; one place said that basically it was a goatee; another, that it was a small tuft just beneath the lower lip and above the chin.
Is there anybody more in touch with the real world than I am who can tell me for sure what it is?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Soul patch - 09/22/07 04:02 PM
my understanding of it is that it is a small goatee. sort of like a hitler moustache but on the chin. I think the bit just under the lip has another name? but likely it all gets a bit confused. a bit hairy, one might even say.

there is an Olympic speed skater, whose name escapes me at the moment, who sported one.

Apolo Anton OHNO
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Soul patch - 09/22/07 04:38 PM
wikipedia claims it's under the lip.

-joe (I've got mine surrounded) friday

edit: but check this photo out!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Soul patch - 09/22/07 04:45 PM
I've associated a soul patch with the kind of beardlet worn by Frank Zappa.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Soul patch - 09/22/07 04:48 PM
thanks for the clarification.

however, is it a soul patch even when it's part of the entire beard ensemble? so, one could say, "the soul patch portion of my beard"?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Soul patch - 09/22/07 05:04 PM
I'd say no way.

-joe (no way) friday
© Wordsmith.org