Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BVHK Womb to Tomb - 07/06/07 04:20 AM
I recently came across the phrase Soup to Nuts.I have been using a similar phrase which I have coined myself and rather like it - from womb to tomb. Has this phrase already been in use?

~ BVHK
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/06/07 06:24 AM
welcome, B.

I first heard "womb to tomb" in the movie version of West Side Story, so it's been around a while...
Posted By: Faldage Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/06/07 11:00 AM
A related phrase, used often enough, is Cradle to Grave.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/06/07 12:17 PM
I had a professor once tell the class on the first day of the semester, "Inp revious years I would the students that this class would cover a person's entire life span, from the womb to the tomb. But these days we're going even further than that, and we're going to cover it from the erection to the resurrection."
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/06/07 12:19 PM
It doesn't look like your coinage alone. It's all over google.

http://www.google.com/search?q=womb-to-tomb&start
Posted By: Zed Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/07/07 12:23 AM
But you're still wecome to keep coming and keep coining.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/07/07 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Zed
But you're still wecome to keep coming and keep coining.

Indeed. Welcome, BVHK!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/08/07 01:29 AM
I've never heard it before BVHK, though I have heard from cradle to grave. To my ear, it sounds like something that would be used in light, informal conversations rather than cradle to grave which sounds very serious.
Posted By: olly Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/08/07 07:11 AM
One of my favourite Chrissie Hyndes songs Hymn to her
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/10/07 12:02 AM
MANY years ago in Northern Virginia there were two brothers, surnamed Murphy IIRC; one was an obstetrician and the other was an undertaker. They used to joke that they wished doctors could advertise (a prohibition then very widespread, believe it or not) so they could advertise, "From the womb to the tomb with the Murphy brothers."

The funeral home is still there:

MURPHY FUNERAL HOMES
4510 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22203

As to "many years ago" that was at least 40 years BP
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/10/07 01:22 AM
A bit of a bifurcation...but doctors can't advertise here even now.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/10/07 01:49 PM
‘Apparently a common theme in song.
At the end of his song, Womb to the Tomb, I heard Bill Kirchen, King of Diesel-Billy guitar, proclaim:
“From the cradle to the grave
From the womb to the tomb
From the sperm to the worm
From erection to resurrection”
Posted By: BVHK Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/11/07 06:08 AM
Thanks for all the info. The ad by the Murphy brothers is really innovative.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/11/07 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: TEd Remington
They used to joke that they wished doctors could advertise (a prohibition then very widespread, believe it or not)

Still in force in NZ. Ditto for lawyers and accountants, too. Yellow Pages ads are about all the professions are allowed here.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Womb to Tomb - 07/12/07 01:51 AM
Diesel-Billy guitar ?!??
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Truck to Muck, Backseat to Winding-sheet - 07/12/07 12:49 PM
This from his website:
“Bill Kirchen…no-nonsense diesel guitar attack, powered by great booming, bottom-heavy licks still covered with axle grease…Grammy nominated guitarist, singer and songwriter, can step on any stage, play those trademark licks which drove the seminal Commander Cody classic Hot Rod Lincoln into the Top Ten nationwide, and elicit instant recognition for a career that’s spanned over 30 years…Titan of the Telecaster…”
My volunteer work with the local coffeehouse affords me opportunities to meet and sometimes play with a fantastic variety of great musical people from all over the country. Last year I was invited to a live broadcast out of a Worchester MA radio station that featured Bill in concert. The studio held about 20 people, his two guitars and his little amp. What fun!
Posted By: wow Re: Truck to Muck, Backseat to Winding-sheet - 07/13/07 03:49 PM
Anyone heard the *old Irish saying about the innkeepers job -
"From apron to nightgown."
Sometimes also used about Mothers but that job is 24/7/lifetime.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Truck to Muck, Backseat to Winding-sheet - 07/16/07 03:03 PM
I was invited to a live broadcast out of a Worchester MA radio station Whoa! [impressed e]
Didja call up wofahulicodoc and tell him hello? :-)

You can listen to a lick from Hot Rod Lincoln here.

that job is 24/7/lifetime I am sure realizing that! I used to think that when my kids turned 18, I could quit worrying about them. Now they're 22 and 21, and I'm still worried...
Posted By: wow Re: Truck to Muck, Backseat to Winding-sheet - 07/17/07 03:26 PM
Mine have hit their 50s and tey're still telling me not to worry.
© Wordsmith.org