Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman rendit - 04/21/07 03:00 PM
Heard on a recent panel discussion. Verb, to perform extraordinary rendition. To be shipped overseas for torture is to be renditted
Posted By: BranShea Re: rendit - 04/21/07 03:53 PM
Rendition
(from Online Ethymology Dictionary)

.Eng. 1601, "surrender of a place or possession," from obs. Fr. rendition "a rendering," from O.Fr. rendre "to deliver, to yield" (see render). Meaning "translation" first recorded 1659; that of "an acting, a performing" first recorded 1858, Amer.

To rendit? To be shipped overseas for torture? For torture? Pretty weird.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: rendit - 04/21/07 04:10 PM
To rendit? To be shipped overseas for torture? For torture? Pretty weird.

Extraordinary rendition has been in the news too much lately.
Posted By: of troy Re: rendit - 04/21/07 05:40 PM
a political post masquarading as a word post.
(did you think we wouldn't notice dale?) Oh yeah, just teasing.Ha ha.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: rendit - 04/21/07 08:29 PM
I find it to be an interesting word.

does this mean Helen, that any word that has anything to do with anything political (or religious) is to be avoided?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: rendit - 04/22/07 03:57 PM
Eventually it is sure to catch on, as I do get a few hits on "to rendit", "rendit him," etc; eg:

Daily Kos: Stupid spoiled whores Plus their daddy could nuke your daddy out of existence (or at least rendit him to Syria for a little electroshock therapy). Paris is SOooooo jealous. ...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/12/4/101128/549
Posted By: themilum Re: rendit - 04/22/07 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Eventually it is sure to catch on, as I do get a few hits on "to rendit", "rendit him," etc; eg:

Daily Kos: Stupid spoiled whores The daughters of the elected president of the United States plus their daddy President Bush could nuke your daddy out of existence (or at least rendit him to Syria for a little electroshock therapy).

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/12/4/101128/549

What, dalehileman? You wanna talk words or you wanna cuss Bush?

Cussing Bush might get you renditted to Syria, but hey, you might come back a better, more polite, wordperson and that wouldn't be so bad.

Posted By: BranShea Re: rendit - 04/23/07 09:35 AM
If it was coincidental it was quite ironic that my computer shut down acutely yesterday, after I opened that dailykos link. Never happened before and it restarted without a scratch , but I won't give it a second try.

Whatever the word means, it is not a new concept and has been done on all sides through time.

People lost their good sense or the sense for what is good.

Don't forget to look at the good things, Dale.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: rendit - 04/23/07 05:10 PM
the: Please reread my posts above; they were entirely neutral politically. I didn't select the link on any sort of partisan basis, I simply forwarded what was available. Don't join the clique continually on the lookout anything that can conceivably be rendered five ways from the middle

Bran: Thank you for that and I shall indeed endeavor to see the bright side of everything. But forgive me, an old fart on the brink of senility, I don't entirely comprehend your post. The concept may not be new but I believe the contraction is
Posted By: tsuwm Re: rendit - 04/23/07 06:18 PM
what, besides it being a form of the French verb rendre?
(to render, to return, to restore, to give back; to pay back, to repay, to render up, to surrender; to pay; to produce, to yield, to bear, to bring in; to reward, to requite; to carry, to convey, to take; to cast up, to eject, to void , to throw up, to throw off one's stomach; to exhale, to emit, to send forth; to express, to convey, to represent, to reproduce; to translate.

-joe (I rendit in your general direction!) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: rendit - 04/23/07 07:05 PM
I changed my former post.
I admit the middle part was not very clear.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: rendit - 04/24/07 03:46 PM
tsu: While I agree that the contraction cibstuitutes a natural extension, I was nonetheless surprised to hear it used on a nationally-broadcast political panel; much less "renditted"
© Wordsmith.org