Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Wordspy: neologism collectors - 02/07/07 04:50 PM
I like

precrimination n. A recrimination made in advance of some expected event or outcome. [Blend of pre- and recrimination.]

and

man date n. A social engagement between two heterosexual men, particularly one that occurs in a setting other than a traditionally masculine venue such as a bar or live sporting event. Also: man-date.

http://www.wordspy.com/index.asp
Posted By: Zed Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 02/07/07 11:35 PM
man-date hmmm? I find it difficult to believe that people will hear that and assume heterosexuality. The old terms "hang out with" or "meet" or "guys' night" seem less ambiguous.
Posted By: musick Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 02/10/07 08:14 PM
I'm with you on this one, Zed... especially in light of the punny fact it sounds like "mandate"... especially considering the funny pact that me and the Ms. stayed home and played scrabble while watching the latest *Bowl game, instead of at the local pub with the crowd (of mostly freinds).
Posted By: Jackie Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 02/10/07 10:39 PM
me and the Ms. Has a nice sound to it, love!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 02/23/07 09:46 PM
As a former neologism collector I would have entered "precrimination". It gets 40,500 Ghits
Posted By: olly Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 03/05/07 04:11 AM
Kia ora all,
i came across another new word today, Flexitarianism. Now, I don't know who came up with the idea that you can be a vegetarian...., but you can eat meat too!
Surely you are an omnivore, no? It seems a bit odd to me to invent a word like that. I am not adverse to new words and ideas but ya either eat meat or ya don't. Am I being too much of a purist?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 03/05/07 11:32 AM
I think a flexitarian would be someone who is basically vegetarian but who does not totally avoid meat, eating it, perhaps, once a week or so. An omnivore eats meat and vegetables pretty much every day.
Posted By: olly Re: Wordspy: neologism collectors - 03/05/07 07:55 PM
I see. Or perhaps someone who would eat meat to be accomodating?
I suppose the lines are a bit blurry with the definitions.
Anyway, curiosity abated, thanks.
© Wordsmith.org