Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq US Spanish? - 01/19/07 09:48 PM
Has this emerged yet? Given the rapid growth in the Hispanic community, and the fact those immigrants come from so many different Spanish-speaking countries, is there yet evidence of a US Spanish developing? I would have imagined that with immigrants from a dozen or so different Spanishes being lumped together both geographically and perceptually, s distinctively US amalgam might have formed, as it did with English. Or is it simply too soon yet?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: US Spanish? - 01/19/07 09:50 PM
I've only sporadically noticed some English influenced vocabulary, like gueldear 'to weld', lumberteria 'lumber yard', etc.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: US Spanish? - 01/19/07 09:54 PM
Quote:

I've only sporadically noticed some English influenced vocabulary, like gueldear 'to weld', lumberteria 'lumber yard', etc.

Is my presumption that such a distinct variant will emerge sound, do you think? Obviously I was thinking of the influence of Spanglish, but I also wondered if a "homogenising" of sorts might occur with the different variants all thrown in together.
Posted By: Faldage Re: US Spanish? - 01/19/07 11:26 PM
I should think the first place to look for this homogenized Spanish would be some place like NYC or Chicago. I'd think that in Mayami you would get a predominantly Caribbean Spanish and in Tejas and California a mostly Mexican Spanish. Another place where you might get español homogénea would be someplace like New Orleans.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: US Spanish? - 01/19/07 11:33 PM
Is my presumption that such a distinct variant will emerge sound, do you think?

Whenever you split off one group of speakers from another, you can assume the language will become different over time. There are already regional differences between various New World Spanishes, Argentine Spanish being one of the more extreme. As the population of hispanophones here in the States gets refreshed from time to time, I'd imagine that the language of their children would assimilate to the US variety.

Obviously I was thinking of the influence of Spanglish, but I also wondered if a "homogenising" of sorts might occur with the different variants all thrown in together.

I have seen that kind of homogenizing effect in my hometown, where Italians with different regional dialects accomodated one another, and incorporated English words. I used to be amused that my grandmother would speak her heavily dialectal Italian (Genoese) with migrant Mexican workers who rsponded in Spanish, but some kind of communication was taking place.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: US Spanish? - 01/19/07 11:38 PM
and in Tejas and California a mostly Mexican Spanish

We get a lot of Salvadoran and Guatamalan Spanish here in Norte Califas, too. With the added bonus as the workers establish themselves they open bodegas, tiendas, pupuserias, and taquerias.
Posted By: of troy Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 03:25 AM
i once worked with a PR and cuban --who were also word nerds, but in spanish.

they constantly 'traded' words (like we english speakers do--(dustman Vs san man or garbageman, skip Vs dumpster, bonnet vs hood, boot vs trunk))

In NYC there are many different spanishes spoken.. PR, cuban, south american, mexican, --even occational, spanish spanish! there might be a predominate 'version', (PR i suspect, for most of the vocabulary) but i am sure there are pockets of other version.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 10:21 AM
What an interesting idea, Max. I wonder if there's a precedent; i.e., if a separate version of a language has developed -- beyond, say, a creole -- in a country where it wasn't the predominant language. I can't think of any examples, but then again, it is awful early in the morning here.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 10:24 AM
Quote:

What an interesting idea, Max. I wonder if there's a precedent; i.e., if a separate version of a language has developed -- beyond, say, a creole -- in a country where it wasn't the predominant language. I can't think of any examples, but then again, it is awful early in the morning here.

Indian English, maybe?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 10:45 AM
Quote:

Indian English, maybe?

[where's that 'slap oneself on the forehead' emoticon?]
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 11:06 AM
NZ English?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 11:13 AM
Quote:

NZ English?

Except that for the last 100 plus years it has been the dominant language, and the natural first choice even among Maaori speakers, outside a couple of geographically isolated small pockets.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 12:02 PM
Indian English, maybe?

Yes, and various types of African English. Both South Asia and Africa produce many books and newspapers in English, too.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 04:04 PM
Here in the Southwest we have adopted "Es nada"

My favorite, however, is Senor Wences' "Tsorai"
Posted By: Jackie Re: US Spanish? - 01/20/07 04:19 PM
One thing I can say from experience is that Liberians speak English in such a way that it is almost incomprehensible to American ears. Though it IS their native language now, I believe, it wasn't always.
© Wordsmith.org