Wordsmith.org
Posted By: callithump "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/05/06 07:58 AM
I come across one line in a book:

Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.
--Earl Nightinggale

Here, is Earl a name or a title?

I looked up on the web. Some says the person is a host in U.S. and Earl is a name. So is it a first name?

Thanks.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/05/06 10:23 AM
I found this at Wikipedia:

Quote:

Earl Nightingale (1921–1989) was an acclaimed broadcaster, a highly successful entrepreneur, and co-founder (with Lloyd Conant) of the Nightingale-Conant Corporation, one of the world’s largest producers and publishers of personal development and self-help audio programs.

sounds like Earl is his first name.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/05/06 01:36 PM
some first-name Earls of note:

Earl Warren (jurist)
Earl Butz (Sec. of Agriculture)
Earl Scruggs (bluegrass musician)
Earl "Fatha" Hines (jazz pianist)
Earl 'The Pearl' Monroe (athlete)
Earl Weaver (baseball manager)
Earl Slick(!) (guitarist)
Earl Pitts (spy)
Earl Battey (Minnesota Twins baseball player!)
Posted By: ParkinT Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/08/06 02:45 PM
Quote:

some first-name Earls of note:

Earl Warren (jurist)
Earl Butz (Sec. of Agriculture)
Earl Scruggs (bluegrass musician)
Earl "Fatha" Hines (jazz pianist)
Earl 'The Pearl' Monroe (athlete)
Earl Weaver (baseball manager)
Earl Slick(!) (guitarist)
Earl Pitts (spy)
Earl Battey (Minnesota Twins baseball player!)

Don't forget
Earl E. Departure
Posted By: Aramis Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/08/06 07:43 PM
When Earl is used as a title it is usually in the form of 'Sir [name] [name], Earl of [place].'
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/08/06 08:23 PM
'Sir [name] [name], Earl of [place].'

Sir is used for knights and baronets. Earls are known as Earl of [placename] or Earl [surname], or Lord [surname] or Lord [surname].
Posted By: themilum Re: "Earl Nightinggale" - 12/08/06 09:03 PM
Quote:

'Sir [name] [name], Earl of [place].'

Sir is used for knights and baronets. Earls are known as Earl of [placename] or Earl [surname], or Lord [surname] or Lord [surname].

Well, is zat so, Mister Smarty Pants? Well, explain this...

http://bhikku.vox.com/library/audio/6a00c11413209fc40800c2251eb29e604a.html
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Little Lord Farthingcock - 12/08/06 10:54 PM
Well, is zat so, Mister Smarty Pants? Well, explain this...

It's a song, themilum, but you knew that. I was referring to the British title of nobility and the forms of address to be used when speaking with holders of said title. As far as I can tell, Gene Chandler nevers says sir or lord during the entire song. But, perhaps your ears are cleaner than mine. And, why do you always use a frowny face when you're about to get medieval on somebody's ass? Is it because your schizoid half disapproves of what your typing half is about to say?
Posted By: themilum Re: Little Lord Farthingcock - 12/10/06 10:49 PM
Quote:

It's a song, themilum, but you knew that. I was referring to the British title of nobility and the forms of address to be used when speaking with holders of said title. As far as I can tell, Gene Chandler nevers says sir or lord during the entire song. But, perhaps your ears are cleaner than mine. And, why do you always use a frowny face when you're about to get medieval on somebody's ass? Is it because your schizoid half disapproves of what your typing half is about to say?

Now who but you, zmjezhd, would get mad at a mad smiley?

You see, my shizoid sub-conscious mind told my typing hand to add the little mad yellow face so that you would clearly understand that I was kidding. Stupid schizoid mind. He doesn't understand that some people are offended by smileys and madies and regard their presence as someone going "medieval on somebody's ass". My apologies.

But still I wonder: if Gene Chandler is the Duke of Earl then who is the Earl of Earl? The Temptations? The Tams? John Lee Hooker?
© Wordsmith.org