Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth 'make a setting' - 11/08/06 04:21 PM
'You can make the setting using the keypad'

Does this sound right to our US members? It sounds odd to me. I would say 'perform', 'configure', etc. Thanks.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: 'make a setting' - 11/08/06 04:44 PM
Sounds OK to me.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: 'make a setting' - 11/08/06 04:46 PM

Nope. Doesn't sound right, though I think most americans would understand the usage.

I think 'configure' is better than 'make.'
Posted By: Myridon Re: 'make a setting' - 11/08/06 04:55 PM
Sounds rather like a native Cajun/Creole French speaker, e.g. "I make the market me" instead of "I'm going shopping".

I wouldn't use "perform" at all and "configure" is using a big word when a small word will do.

"Set the setting" is awkward but if the context was about "the setting" then "set it" would be good.

"Change the setting" is probably best IMO, but there are lots of good alternatives especially if you don't have to use the word "setting", e.g. set the option.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: 'make a setting' - 11/08/06 05:05 PM
To us (U.S.), to make a setting is to set the table

Also called a place setting
Posted By: Jackie Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 03:22 AM
create the setting?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 12:04 PM
Quote:

Does this sound right to our US members? It sounds odd to me. I would say 'perform', 'configure', etc. Thanks.

BY:

It sounds terrible to me, and I had to read the rest of the thread to figure out what the setting was all about. I would have written:

You can change the settings by using the keypad.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 03:03 PM
if you don't like to configure the settings, you could maybe set the configuration.

here's one I've actually used in a classroom situation (by definition, it's pedantic) -- it includes the first time too:

We'll effect the settings by using the keyboard.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 03:16 PM
No. According to Laverne, who is far smarter than I, you arrange it
Posted By: tsuwm Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 03:19 PM
>you arrange it.

what, are you setting a table with a keypad??
-ron o.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 03:49 PM
Knives, forks, plates, bowls, spoons, doilies, etc. Keypad optional depending on the company
Posted By: Myridon Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 04:44 PM
Quote:

To us (U.S.), to make a setting is to set the table

Also called a place setting

I can't recall ever hearing anyone say make a setting or make a place setting with that meaning. "How many forks do you need to make a complete place setting?" but that's a slightly different sense of make.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 07:52 PM
If a place setting is a set of dishes and flatware constituting a table service for one person then wouldn't "to make a place setting" mean to set out the dishes and flatware
Posted By: Aramis Re: 'make a setting' - 11/09/06 08:09 PM
'Configuring a setting' does have too much redundancy or at best overlap, at least in the given context. It is almost as bad as the flight attendant pitch about putting electronic devices in "the off position".
© Wordsmith.org